Septic nationalism at its finest!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bugsy, Apr 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There are a fair few Sikhs in the US who'd like to serve in the armed forces. The problem is that they won't be allowed to keep their beards and barnet.

On this thread, which will probably result in me getting canned (again), the subject is discussed:

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5291911282/m/9040008022001

I just can't understand all the fuss really and there are some right obnoxious racists on the thread. They really think that their way is the only way. There's no getting through to them how illogical the whole affair is, particularly because there are serving Sikhs in the Septic Army and the wearing of turbans, long barnet and beards were allowed until fairly recently.

Anyway, if you're interested, have a butcher's.

MsG

2. To be fair, I read most of it, and I can agree with some of their arguments.

It should be the same rules that apply to all, regardless of religion. I had to shave everyday, so should everyone else. Including some of the ladies I had the pleasure to serve with.

3. Oh I wanna play with the seppos too.

4. I managed to wade a reasonable way through, but it does appear to me that if you don't look exactly the same as us you must be a terrorist/anti-us thread, and coming from a country of immigrants were were personal freedoms and beliefs are everything it does appear to go against the constitution.
    Having served with several sikhs they all would be happy to shave their beards off if it was real nasty stuff outside the respirator

5. That's one of the attitudes I object to, Conrad. Don't forget, these are the folks who topped two Sikhs in New York in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 because they thought they were "Arabs". How can a whole population be so stunningly ignorant?

MsG

6. Unfortunately the Septics don't have the monopoly on thick. What about the British World Cup football hooligan who stabbed a Frenchman to death on a train because he thought he was an Argentinian (as if that made it all right).
    A friend of mine's father is a barrister in Leeds, he only started wearing his Turban when he started going bald! So religion can be used to cover a multitude of things!

7. What do you expect from a country that still has the KKK?

8. Normally I would say something along the lines of " if the damn foreigners cannot abide by the rules then stuff them" BUT , Sikhs tend to be jolly sound chaps.

My father in law was very racist and would only have Sikh drivers for his long distance desert convoys. He thought the world of them.

And if you look at the history of the Raj - put your trust in a Sikh.

Fourty years ago I recall Traffic Wardens in Bradford who could not wear a cap but wore bright yellow turbans with the badge centred upon it.

The British/Indian Army solved the problems of Sikh headgear over a hundred years ago. The sceptics are shooting themselves in the foot by turning down Sikhs. Very sound chaps.

9. That's exactly what I've been trying to get across to them, Smallbore. But apparently they can't seem to get past the difference and see the human (and quite awesome soldier). This mindset of "they're different to us".

I just don't understand what's wrong with them.

MsG

10. QUOTE;
    This mindset of "they're different to us".
    UNQUOTE

Yup .Not just different . Better. More self-discipline. Better personal hygiene.

There is also some silly stuff about beards and NBC/Respirators. The Royal Navy solved that years ago - Lots of vaseline in the beard and then put your "Ressy" on.

If God gave me a free ticket to live my life again, anytime and anywhere, I think I would like to command a company of Sikh infantry on operations. If that is to much to ask, could I just do what I did but with a Sikh Sergeant-Major.

11. Sorry to burst your bubble, no Sikh's in NYC were murdered in the aftermath of 9-11. We have a sizable community of them

While 9 people were murdered with the 9-11 attacks attributed as the reasons, none were in NYC. Most were in the Southwest, and California.

At least one of the murderers who had a history of schizophrenia is currently serving a life sentence(No Parole) in Arizona after his death penalty was overturned

12. Then my apologies and I stand corrected, Goldbricker. I only repeated what somebody had posted on another thread on the subject (also on mil.com) without verifying it, thinking that he'd know what he's talking about.

MsG

13. Too right.
    Great blokes, all warriors too. I wouldn't fcuk with them.
    Problem is, they all seem to be called John... :D

14. I have to agree with you Bugsy, you are missing out on some fine people if you exclude the old Sikh. I believe that the British had regiments of them during the Raj and they enjoyed a fine reputation.
    Some forty years ago, I remember that London Transport had some issue with the turban versus the normal bus drivers cap. I can distinctly remember a newspaper picture of a bunch of these fine looking blokes all fully beturbanned and standing under a hand painted sign 'Let us drive'
    London Transport saw sense.
    If the Yanks don't want them, recruit them into the British Army. On which point, and not wishing to be too critical, everyone in the Army these days appears to wear pretty much what they like. It doesn't seem to render them any less effective though. :wink:

15. Sadly a lot of insular Seppos can't differentiate between Sikhs and OBL.

I've a fair few Sikh friends and they get some pretty shocking abuse every time they go to to the US.