Septic Ingenuity In Action-A Human Paperweight

Just so you Brits will stop bashing septic ingenuity and common sense here is a news item from today that proves once and for all that Americans have not lost their sense of adventure and creativity in the face of otherwise insurmountable challenges of every day living (and at the same time confirms the Darwinian principle of natural selection (albeit by extension from the loving mother to her beloved daughter):

Alabama teen found riding on box atop van; mother charged

By Associated Press

ALBERTVILLE, Ala. -- An Alabama woman has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child after police say she let her daughter ride in a box on top of their van.

Albertville Police spokesman Sgt. Jamie Smith said 37-year-old Jackie Denise Knott was arrested Sunday after police received a call of a minivan traveling on U.S. 431 with a large cardboard box on top with a child inside.

Smith said the woman told police the box was too big to go inside the van, and that her daughter was inside the box to hold it down.

Smith said Knott told officers it was safe because she had the box secured to the van with a clothes hanger.

"The box was too large to get in the van, so more or less, she needed a paperweight," said Albertville Police Officer Jamie Smith.

The child was not hurt. She was turned over to a relative's custody at the scene and DHR is investigating.

"For the child's sake, more than anything, nothing turned out bad," Smith said. "Obviously a gust of wind, an 18-wheeler passing by could have thrown the box off the top of the van. It could have turned out very bad."

http://www.ajc.com/news/alabama-teen-found-riding-156739.html

corridor_of_Powers said:
Life is like a really really big box of chocolates.
As one of middle age I harken more to the wisdom expressed by Gomer Pyle USMC such as the memorable "Shazam" and "Gawlllllleeee Sergeant Carter!"

jumpinjarhead said:
I am-hailing as I do from that progressive neighboring state of Georgia, ...
See, and people say the Septics don't do irony. :)

PE4rocks said:
jumpinjarhead said:
We try--up to our inherent colonial inbred abilities.

jumpinjarhead said:
PE4rocks said:
jumpinjarhead said:
We try--up to our inherent colonial inbred abilities.
<types>
<deletes>
<types>
<deletes>

kangorrilapig said:
Surely just thinking inside the box.
I suppose one could argue that since it was the highly intelligent mother who presumably came up with this innovation with her daughter serving as the proverbial "pound(s) of flesh," this is more an example (likely emulated by many a bored squaddie with some scavenged pyrotechnic) of "thinking" outside of the box?

vvaannmmaann said:
"Septic and ingenuity" Another classic oxymoron.
The only ideas you lot have ever had have been stolen from other countries.
I wish I had had the brush you use in your blanket statement when I painted my house-it would have taken half the time.

vvaannmmaann said:
But you're not denying it?
Until you get within even a grid square of reasonableness in your assertion it is not worth the effort. I mean for example, all the world knows Al Gore invented the internet and (sadly) he is an American.

jumpinjarhead said:
vvaannmmaann said:
I wish I had had the brush you use in your blanket statement when I painted my house-it would have taken half the time.
Its fairly true though. For example NASA wouldn't exist if it wasn't for stolen technoligy and look at how NASA has tried to claim the fame for velcro! What else has it claimed fame for but not actually invented?

Computers..not the US
Satellites...not the US
the list must be endless

Cabana said:
jumpinjarhead said:
vvaannmmaann said:
Its fairly true though. For example NASA wouldn't exist if it wasn't for stolen technoligy and look at how NASA has tried to claim the fame for velcro! What else has it claimed fame for but not actually invented?

Computers..not the US
Satellites...not the US
the list must be endless
Indeed-it is not even worth my trying I suppose.

jumpinjarhead said:
Cabana said:
jumpinjarhead said:
vvaannmmaann said:

Computers..not the US
Satellites...not the US
the list must be endless
Indeed-it is not even worth my trying I suppose.
Go on you have to try. Although I am great at upsetting spams :)...but I must be off for dinner now.

I don't see why this story is newsworthy or what all the fuss is about.

Kids are fcuk all use since they stopped them going up chimneys.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Capt Cheeky The Intelligence Cell 3
Porridge_gun Aviation 8
G The Intelligence Cell 6