Septic humour does exist.

Great fun, an uncommon display of self irony (?) over there.

And check out the report on "hurricane_bound_for_texas_slowed_by_large_land_mass_to_the_south".

Some Arrser recently claimed the majority of the US pop couldn't place Afghanistan on a map...

Sun_Too said:

And check out the report on "hurricane_bound_for_texas_slowed_by_large_land_mass_to_the_south".

Some Arrser recently claimed the majority of the US pop couldn't place Afghanistan on a map...
Scot living in Florida - had a woman in a previous job ask me - You know about Europe - Afghanistan is near Mexico, isn't it? Seems her son (US Marine) had just been warned for Afghanistan.

Another kept greeting me with "Gidday Mate - put another shrimp on the barbie" When I told her I'm Scottish, not Australian she looked totally bemused - "But isn't it the same country?"

Colleague in bar in Atlanta is out of USD so offers to pay with pounds, but barlady thinks they're Monopoly tokens or similar. My colleague says, no, they're Pounds - sterling - you know, the Queen's money! I'm British, (seeing the fluttering eyelids, adding) you know, from England?
Barlady: Get outta here, you don't use dollars????

AAGF said:
Sun_Too said:

Scot living in Florida - had a woman in a previous job ask me - You know about Europe - Afghanistan is near Mexico, isn't it? Seems her son (US Marine) had just been warned for Afghanistan.

Another kept greeting me with "Gidday Mate - put another shrimp on the barbie" When I told her I'm Scottish, not Australian she looked totally bemused - "But isn't it the same country?"

The trouble is there are enough thick fcukers over here as well, their only source of information is the Daily sport and Jeremy Kyle.

Septic humour has always existed, it's just a bit different to ours. Don't forget that a whole couple of generations were shaped by "MAD" magazine.

MsG

Sun_Too said:
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."

Sadly, some truth to that perhaps...

I could point to about 8 states I have been to, asking that isnt fair, I was trying to alert Britons to some intelligent humour on the other side of the atlantic.

Goldbricker said:
And how many here could find Nebraska on a map?
How many in Nebraska could find Nebraska on a map?

Goldbricker, it's sort of in the centre (center to you), west of the Missouri river and north of Kansas, but it's a fair cop, yours is a large country and people who haven't been there do not realise the distances and the variety of landscape/clima etc.

In all honesty, during the stay in Atlanta (see above), one colleague says to John (the US colleague), "why don't we drop in on your parents while we're here? Says John: because it would be a 40 hour drive?!

Sun_Too said:
Colleague in bar in Atlanta is out of USD so offers to pay with pounds, but barlady thinks they're Monopoly tokens or similar. My colleague says, no, they're Pounds - sterling - you know, the Queen's money! I'm British, (seeing the fluttering eyelids, adding) you know, from England?
I admire your courage. I live 90 miles north of that "fair" city (my place of birth and early years) and do not travel there unless absolutely necessary and then armed with my HK .45 USP Compact. The crime rate both among the denizens of Atlanta's increasingly mean streets and within the city police department is something to behold.

The city is also in rolling collapse in terms of provision of basic governmental services--for example paying millions of dollars in fines (that the city does not have--it would be in bankruptcy if a city could do that) to the federal government for continuing to discharge untreated sewage into nearby rivers rather than do the things needed to fix the sewer system. If things continue on the present trajectory I would not be surprised to see the feds using Predator drones with Hellfire missiles rather than risk the safety of the FBI and other alphabet soup agencies on the ground.

Many urban experts liken the sad situation in Atlanta (and a number of other cities) to that of pre and post Katrina New Orleans, in terms of the virtual 21st century "plantation" whereby black local politicians and other elites keep their citizens in housing projects on welfare such that they remain wholly dependent on their politicians for everything and thus are a ready voting bloc that keeps the incumbents in power. In addition, as forcefully demonstrated by the number of Atlanta politicians currently serving federal prison sentences for corruption (IIRC the last mayor may still be in prison in fact), the local governments are operated as engines of patronage and wealth for the politicians, their families and cronies.

jumpinjarhead said:
Sun_Too said:
I admire your courage. I live 90 miles north of that "fair" city (my place of birth and early years) and do not travel there unless absolutely necessary and then armed with my HK .45 USP Compact. The crime rate both among the denizens of Atlanta's increasingly mean streets and within the city police department is something to behold.

The city is also in rolling collapse in terms of provision of basic governmental services--for example paying millions of dollars in fines (that the city does not have--it would be in bankruptcy if a city could do that) to the federal government for continuing to discharge untreated sewage into nearby rivers rather than do the things needed to fix the sewer system. If things continue on the present trajectory I would not be surprised to see the feds using Predator drones with Hellfire missiles rather than risk the safety of the FBI and other alphabet soup agencies on the ground.

Many urban experts liken the sad situation in Atlanta (and a number of other cities) to that of pre and post Katrina New Orleans, in terms of the virtual 21st century "plantation" whereby black local politicians and other elites keep their citizens in housing projects on welfare such that they remain wholly dependent on their politicians for everything and thus are a ready voting bloc that keeps the incumbents in power. In addition, as forcefully demonstrated by the number of Atlanta politicians currently serving federal prison sentences for corruption (IIRC the last mayor may still be in prison in fact), the local governments are operated as engines of patronage and wealth for the politicians, their families and cronies.
But OK otherwise then?

auscam said:
Goldbricker said:
And how many would want to? :wink:

Not me. A number of years ago the wife was TDY to STRATCOM in Nebraska for 2 weeks and refers to it as the worst year of her life. Her trip back to Boston was called "returning to civilization"

DavidBOC said:
auscam said:
Goldbricker said:
And how many would want to? :wink:

Not me. A number of years ago the wife was TDY to STRATCOM in Nebraska for 2 weeks and refers to it as the worst year of her life. Her trip back to Boston was called "returning to civilization"
All I'd gathered about Nebraska was that it's quite flat (topographically) May I ask what was so awful about it, or is the memory too traumatic?