Sept 17th 1944

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mighty_doh_nut, Sep 17, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In August 1944, General Bernard Montgomery proposed a daring Allied offensive of one powerful thrust through Holland, across the Rhine and into the German heartland. The plan, requiring many divisions and virtually all the logistic support available to the Allies in Europe, was not agreed to by General Eisenhower, the Supreme Allied Commander. In its place a smaller scale plan, but still a very ambitious one, was approved to secure a bridgehead across the Lower Rhine (Neder Rijn). Montgomery's 21st Army Group would attempt a narrow thrust to and beyond the Rhine, largely supported from its own resources.

The plan was to lay an "airborne carpet" along the 64-mile Eindhoven-Arnhem road along which the British 2nd Army (spearheaded by XXX Corps under Lieut-General B.G. Horrocks) would advance rapidly to reach the Arnhem road and rail bridges which gave passage across the last great natural barrier to the Reich, the Lower Rhine.

We all know the outcome.

Visiting the site seems feeble in comparison to the actions of the thousands of Brave men from 1st Airborne Division...... Everyone a hero and a better man than me.

A man worthy of a salute would have been my grandfather who would have been 87 on Saturday, thankfully he came home, and although I didn't know him well, I get choked with pride when I browse through his effects, escape maps and diary. He was promoted to Sgt in the field at Oosterbeek on his Birthday 1944 the day after he jumped into Op Market Garden. When I stand on the Bridge on Sat / Sunday, He and his pals will be forefront in my thoughts and many glasses will be raised to his memory afterwards.

• Like Like x 4
  2. A proud heritage MDN.

Respect and Remembrance of all.
    Shame on us, less we forget.

3. If anyone esle is going Aunty Stella and I will be the ones in Beige crimpolene safari suits and Don Johnson shades.

I also imagine Aunty Stella will have a map of africa on the front of his pants........ probably fablonned :D

4. An immense achievement by all that fought on Market Garden. They have my deepest respect.

http://www.marketgarden.com/

This will hopefully let all remember them

5. the crying shame of it all is the survivors are all old men now and sadly "thining out with age" - was on Beat the retreat a few weeks ago and some gimp teens were gesticulating to the band of Veterans behind me. if i wasnt holding the Queens Colour i would have loved to have chased them and pumelled the living shite out of them.

No respect.

Want to know why?

Because children in schools all over the UK no longer get taught about the wars, and come the 11th November, they are taught its "Dewahli - Indian Festival of Light"

Was putting a network in a school at that time last year, wearing my poppy (Red flower not good looking Fany) and the kids wanted to know why i had a lower on my shirt, i was about to answer when one of the teachers shot out of a side room and told me i wasnt allowed to tell them about the war, as its not PC.

needless to say, i called the head office and asked to be transfered to a different project...i was heart broken.

Well done Labour.

Rincewind

6. They have no understanding of what the veterans suffered or the hardships they went through :evil: :evil: :evil:
    The veterans fought for the best parts of 11 months ineurope suffered one of the coldest winters in history, saw the horrors of Belsan, Dacaha etc and the understanding and knowledge is being lost because it is not being taught anymore, due to being a Multi-Cultural, PC society. :evil: :evil:
    We even have squaddies bitching when they either get called up or are sent on a Op tour for 6 months, yet the veterans did this for 11+ months no R & R mid way through, internet acess, phone cards etc :x :x :x :x

Right thats me done for the day I'll get off my soap box and get my coat

7. All respect to the Airborne, to the survivors and to the dead. 'We will remember them.'

And let's not forget the Dutch civilians who thought they had been liberated; they were happy to have their town turned into a battlefield if it meant getting the Germans out.

Many of them risked thier lives to help British soldiers; they all suffered dreadfully during the winter of 1944/5 because, basically, the Germans starved them, some of them to death. And, it seems, they still think it was all worthwhile.

8. i am truly saddened when i here stories like Rincewind's, and about the youngsters who don't have a clue about what happened 60yrs ago, it saddens me also to hear about the lack of respect for what these men and women done so many years ago.

it is truly a sad day that eventually there will be no one left to know what happened in those terrible years, if they don't tell people about it when they are at school. when my child is older i will tell her about her great grandfather, although he wasn't at Arnhem,.

the courage of the men at Arnhem should never be forgotten, and should be told time and time again to our younger generation. unfortunately why should they be told about it when they can be part of it in computer games and films?

there is something truly calm and thought provoking about a walk around a war cemetery that puts a thought into my mind at least;

These men done these brave acts so that i could walk here and be free to do so, they thought nothing of what they done, if you ask a veteran they will tell you they were doing there job, or for there mates. but to me they were and are some of the Bravest men alive.

i saw a picture today that I had not seen before, and it really got me quite choked, it was of a cross with a British Paratroopers helmet on it, and written in German across the middle was "Unknown English Soldier" i dunno why it did but there was something about it that got to me,

now I feel a great debt to all those men from all the countries that were involved in the war my grandfather (who died a two years ago :cry: ) and great uncle included, when i visited Royal hospital Chelsea to see my grandfather, and you see all the men in there Scarlet coats, and you see how proud they are again, in there last days of there life the get to be a part of something that many of us hold dear to us, a family! they become a part of a new family, of ex-servicemen who are proud of who they are, no we should make them proud of us,

I don't mean this as a throw away comment, i mean our younger generation, lets not let these men’s history, and lives be in vain, lets have them remembered as with any servicemen from any conflict.

the opening paragraph to the poem we all know say's it all to me: :cry:

For the Fallen

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
    England mourns for her dead across the sea.
    Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
    Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
    Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
    There is music in the midst of desolation
    And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
    Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
    They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
    They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
    They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
    Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
    To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
    As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
    Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
    As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
    To the end, to the end, they remain.
    Laurence Binyon
    (1869 - 1943)

Thank you for reading this, sorry if i went to far.

9. "every man an emperor"

watched the old guard marching across the bridge... many for the last time bless them all , good to see the local population of Arnhem , as always treating these guys like the heroes they all undoubtedly are , unfortunately here it was lucky to get 5 minutes at the end of the news. :evil:

anyway , i for one shall be raising a glass for them this evening.cheers boys.

and i'm not talking about the two windowlickers in the p*ss stained safari suits :lol:

10. Right there with you on this, Cacman!!!!

11. I think the man has hit the nail on the head

12. The man speaks for us all i think.

13. the first casualties of the campaign were a couple of gliders of engineers who crashed at a place called double hills , i believe there is a memorial service on the 26th with an AAC flypast , details on 9 para sqns website.