Seperatist movements in the EU

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gary Cooper, Oct 5, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An idea kicked around in 1918 was that the German Empire should be dissolved and return to the independent little states... With 20/20 hindsight that was a good idea.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

A bit like the Morgenthau Plan of 1944.. Didn't happen, though. The US went for the Marshall Plan and here we are today.

[​IMG]

3. Visiting Aahen we booked inexpensive hotel in Belgium just over the border. My wife knows German professionally and had no problems in communication with the owner.
    Btw, accoding to Wikipedia
    It's interesting does Belgian government recognise the 'plebiscite' undemocratic, unlawful and shameful?
    In comparison with it the referendum in Crimea looks as victory of true democracy.

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  4. SABC given for that part, for it shows how little you know

• Old Old x 1
  5. I don't know but I'll make an educated guess, that if you speak to the Romanians they'll point to a date when Romania was Romania and afterwards was invaded by the Hungarians or A/H empire.
    This is and will remain the problem around Serbia, Greater Serbia existed for 25 years due to the military prowess of one bloke in the 14th Century, but everyone in Serbia has been taught that that is the 'natural' border. All the people who got occupied at the time don't agree.

6. Enlighten me please. Show your wisdom, your superior knowledge.

7. I'd say yes and if played properly it might be a very good idea, lots of local autonomy makes people feel relaxed in their local identity, but the USE has real power dealing with the US/China, but the way the current EU is run, centralist bureaucratic diktat, no and getting rid of that is well beyond the capability of the current EU because it's the bureaucrats who hold the real power.

• Like Like x 1
  8. The history of all the states that left the British empire gives you the full range of options to study, from NZ to Zimbabwe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Only if you're a) afraid of change b) have a vested interest in the status quo.

10. The two sides are just setting out their negotiating positions. The police just beat up a few hapless street performance artists for which they've already said sorry.

11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Anyone not scared by the prospect of civil unrest either does not live in the region or is stupid. IMHO!

• Like Like x 3
  12. A good example of bad data. The maps shows area vote by land area with no relation to population, so some of those Scottish 'In' seats have significantly fewer voters than the corresponding English 'In' areas in the home counties. The reality of population demographics is that if 60% of England vote 'Yes' for something the whole of Scotland, Wales and NI can vote against and the UK will still vote 'Yes'. It's this complete insignificance that makes the Celts such chippy sods.

13. Sorry I misunderstood your post, I thought you were referring to separatism in general; violence is never a good idea or a welcome thing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Suppose that is declared in Catalonia then where in the EU one could expect the next UDI probably with participation of polite little green men?
    Fearing it could be Putin’s next target, Estonia prepares for guerrilla warfare that could usher in WWIII
    Unlikely HM armed forces will fight in Catalonia with local separatists but what about Estonia?

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  15. Torys have same amount of seats as Plaid in the assembly. They could have more but one went off in a huff (ironically now holds the power of balance in assembly) and the other is constantly in the bad books he is "Inderpendent Plaid Cymru".

Nationals are on a hiding to no where. Remember Leanne "housewife" Wood? Nicola Sturgon does not! Best bezzers in the debates, now Leanne has no power its bye bye.

I'm Welsh and proud but also British and proud.