ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Seperatist movements in the EU

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gary Cooper, Oct 5, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There was an option, but a non-starter. Public and 1945 Labour Government would never have gone along with it. Communist take over in Czechslovakia 1945 - 48 is chilling reading, think today.

Operation Unthinkable - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
  2. When Milton Keynes was first considered in the 60/70's the 'Posh Folk' in South Buckinghamshire wanted to give the north of Buckinghamshire (where Milton Keynes was going to be built) to either Northamptonshire or Bedfordshire, so that the New Town of Milton Keynes would not lower the tone of Buckinghamshire.

They failed and they were right Milton Keynes does lower the tone.

Milton Keynes is a crap town thats believes it is a City!!!

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It could easily have been a lot worse, all of Germany and some of the low countries.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No stranger than the US plans to invade Canada, still reviewed in the 1930's. The Czech take over is fairly similar to most of the countries under the sphere of influence. As for Yugoslavia, Tito was a chancer and lucky with it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. I wasn’t suggesting that anyone would be going to war on each other, notwithstanding the late 20th century Balkans. Merely that new small states would potentially not be in the same position to keep feeding the EU coffers in the manner that the EU mandarins are currently used to if the status quo was displaced and Europe began to fragment.
    The fact is that in the main nation states made up of smaller nations or regions are generally greater than the sum of their parts, particularly the longer established ones.
    Could you imagine how different modern European history would have been for instance had Germany not become a unified entity?
    Moreover, Czechoslovakia had only existed since 1918, prior to that they’d been various parts of the Austro Hungarian empire.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Yet the Spanish state seems to be doing the whole war thing. Mind most is just dago willy waving

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Are you making a case for larger trading blocs? Why doesn't the map show the English Brexit separatist movement, anyway?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. The problem with this map is it fails to adequately show any regional differences, I would suggest that Wales has a far higher separatist /nationalist/republican movement in the North West and South West than it does in the South Wales valleys where its very much a British (rather than unionist) area.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Dont assume brexit is english

10. Larger trading blocs, like the common market we originally entered, why not?
    Bloated entities wishing to arrogate power out of all proportion to their original mandate, categorically not.

11. You may think that..........

main-qimg-d0aa5196ea368733dbdc3cfcfbab42f0.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. Similar thing happened in Yorkshire. In 74 when the county admin lines were redrawn, Harrogate voted to leave the West Riding County Council and go to North Yorkshire County Council. They think they're posh round there. They're still n the West Riding though and I just lurve to remind them of it.:D

• Like Like x 1
  13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm not disputing majorities but Scotland could have been 49% leave by those measures

14. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Well, no. It was the fault of the Welsh too:

England - Leave 15188406 Remain 13266996
    Wales - Leave 854572 Remain 772347
    N.I - Leave 349442 Remain 440707
    Scotland Leave 1018322 Remain 1661191

Meaning that the English pro-Brexit majority of 1,921,410 wiped out the majority vote in N.I and Scotland without trying.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

To be honest a close run thing. Remainders should move to ulster now