Sentries outside St James' Palace

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Captain_Crusty, May 22, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Just been watching the 6.30 news on ITV. During a live broadcast outside St James' Palace there was a guardsman on sentry who was drilling himself backwards and forwards in front of his position. Now, I'm no expert (!?!) but since when did we slide our feet in rather raise our thigh parallel to the ground?

???

2. Who cares can he map read and can he live with the kit he carries.

Chris

3. Just a theory.. maybe the Army are that undermanned now it was actually a crab standing in... or cause the slippy cobbles they don't want ruin the bull on the boots by banging their feet in.
    but what do I know

4. I AM an expert(ish). The Bloke concerned was probably quite senior (the 1800 stag is given to the older fellas) and as such was no doubt indulging in a bit of bollo drill. On behalf of the Brigade apologies all round but fighting the depth ceremonial battle takes its toll on even the very best. If you're still upset about all this I suggest you write to the Adjutant 1st Battalion Scots Guards who found the Guard on that day. He'll no doubt file your letter in the 'cranks' file but at least reading it'll give him something to do.

My God, we have all got far too much time on our hands.

5. I don't know about the map reading but i suspect he'll need more than the shinny bayonet if he is truly to survive the riggers of LONDON

6. He's probably 'drilled' a few of his mates as well. And in many positions.