Sentinel R1 saved?

H

HIDAS

Rumours around the bazaars that the decision to remove the R1 from the ORBAT has been reversed.

If so; good. However, unless extra money has been found - what will be chopped instead?

Now hoping for a 8-12 P-8 buy!

Rumours around the bazaars that the decision to remove the R1 from the ORBAT has been reversed.

If so; good. However, unless extra money has been found - what will be chopped instead?

Now hoping for a 8-12 P-8 buy!
Bases. Instead the forces will live a nomadic lifestyle akin to the legionary marching camps. :p

Regrettably, and despite considerable efforts to secure the cash to retain the fifth Sentinel, it looks like the bean counters have said no. Indeed, it looks like the entire fleet could be up for an early loss largely due to the financial impact of BREXIT on foreign exchange values. However, if true, this will be a major blow to maintaining what ironically is one of the most operationally sought after assets from a Coalition context.

I despair. Sadly however, I fear that there's worse to come. We must now look to the future of the capability as a whole and how or if we can afford to replace it.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
@Magic_Mushroom - I do share your pain. Its a rather impressive bit of kit and imho, every effort should have been made by hmg to retain it. Still, hopefully something will happen at the 11th hour.

I realise there is a quantum leap in price difference, but we manged to hang on a load of overwight landrovers and useless machine guns but not something that is actually useful in a real war.

Yet another example of the unintended consequences of brexit utterly shafting defence.
It was hardly a surprise was it?

jim30

LE
I realise there is a quantum leap in price difference, but we manged to hang on a load of overwight landrovers and useless machine guns but not something that is actually useful in a real war.
But capbadges win wars man not pie eating nerds in business jets... ;-)

Indeed, it looks like the entire fleet could be up for an early loss largely due to the financial impact of BREXIT on foreign exchange values.
Can you explain how aircraft we already have are impacted in this way, have we only hired them?

jim30

LE
Can you explain how aircraft we already have are impacted in this way, have we only hired them?
In basic terms, the crash in GBP exchange rate against dollar and euro has creatsd an enormous gap in funding assumptions in defence which needs a lot more money now than this time last year just to stay static. Its clear everything is up for grabs to save money.

Could an increase (unlikely) in the P-8 buy compensate for the loss
More likely to see orders cut or delivery slowed down.

jim30

LE
More likely to see orders cut or delivery slowed down.
Underpinned by a hastily convened SDSR which by a miraculous coincidence manages to cut masses of troops and kit to save money whilst ensuring a whole range of newly invented superlatives hide just how fooked we really are?

In basic terms, the crash in GBP exchange rate against dollar and euro has creatsd an enormous gap in funding assumptions in defence which needs a lot more money now than this time last year just to stay static. Its clear everything is up for grabs to save money.
Ah so that sacrosanct ego project means everything else must go first.

The capabilities, and 'products' are different, so while the overall ISTAR constellation could be 'compensated', the output is not the same. P8, while capable over land, is maritime-focussed and enhanced, while Sentinel's stock in trade is Land-based.

However, if we're withdrawing from expeditionary ops due to public distaste for 'Blair's wars', withdrawing from the EU through Brexit and marginalising ourselves within NATO by making headline-grabbing commitments (eFP in Estonia, et al) while completely hollowing-out the staff below the 'star count', then P8 to defend national interest as an island, mercantile nation makes more sense than retaining continental capabilities.

We own all the Sentinel's but aeroplanes cost money and require people (which also cost money) to operate. Meanwhile, Defence has a huge financial black hole. The way to save money is to cut whole capabilities as well as spares, operating costs and personnel liabilities.

Yes, if we bought some with the AN/APS-154 Advanced Airborne Sensor which provides a superior SAR/GMTI capability to that offered by Sentinel.

Unfortunately, at this rate the P-8 buy may be slowed down and, without greater realignment in Defence, I certainly can't see us getting any more.

Regards,
MM

We own all the Sentinel's but aeroplanes cost money and require people (which also cost money) to operate. Meanwhile, Defence has a huge financial black hole. The way to save money is to cut whole capabilities as well as spares, operating costs and personnel liabilities.

Yes, if we bought some with the AN/APS-154 Advanced Airborne Sensor which provides a superior SAR/GMTI capability to that offered by Sentinel.

Unfortunately, at this rate the P-8 buy may be slowed down and, without greater realignment in Defence, I certainly can't see us getting any more.

Regards,
MM
Do we really need 60 Chinnoks?

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Although the gentleman who writes these is considered rather contentious by many, he has highlighted a rather doleful situation. It would seem a rather large gap in defence capability imposed by financial shortfall and trying to do the best for all sectors of government with what is available.
USAF Or NATO Should Snap Up The RAF's Retiring R1 Sentinel Radar Planes
Missing the point that NATO doesn't own anything, member states do and the UK provides SENTINEL to NATO as it does E3 support. It's unlikely many nations would want to take on SENTINEL or could as I suspect there is an element of UKEO avionics/mission fits.

Latest Threads