Sentinel R1 planes grounded by lack of crews

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gracchus, Feb 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5734089.ece

There's probably rather more to this than meets the journalistic eye, but WTF is going on?

2. Fair one, but it's not just the RAF at fault. How many Apache do we have sitting in a warehouse for want of crew?

3. If we can't train 50 men, what chance have we got with JSF, and there is no mention of how many groundcrew are Sentinal trained,

4. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I thought the analyst part of the ground crew was tri service?

5. Bloody hell never thought "Spotters" would be in such demand!

6. Not the first time this has happened - same occurred with the Apache, but this time it was the army at fault.

7. Make a well known phrase or saying from these;

piss-up, could, a, not, organise, brewery, in.

Can mis-management, if that it be, get any worse?

What or who are the causes of this lack of 'joined-up' thinking?

8. It is a Joint operating sqn, so a mix of Army & RAF. I really doubt it is as simple as portrayed here - I know the guys at Waddington have been flying the backside out of this thing.

Tropper - JSF & Sentinel - different beasts - JSF replaces a type, so you have a workforce in place.

9. meridian

I have a theory, I think because we get used to major projects being years late and billions over budget when they do finally turn up its a big suprise and it's a

'oh shi1t, what do we do now'

edited to add, usual spot on reporting. The Sentinel does not provide video footage, it uses radar

10. aaaah the good old Purple Gate/ IOC / FOC argument. The author doesnt seem to understand the differences between IOC - kit arrives in a position where we can trial it, and do some basic stuff with it, to FOC - kit fully in service for use as intended by the end user.

As always, a lot more to this than meets the eye, but lets not let the facts get in the way of a good story now shall we?

11. meridian

Jim, when is IOC and at what level, when is FOC

12. I know MoD quite often selects duplicate project names, but is this the same "ASTOR" that was well under way in the late 80s? I recall a stink when the civvy 1 Star retired on Friday and started work for the company in Texas on Monday.

13. Is there some good reason that they have to wait for all five with crews before deploying?

Why can't there be some partial capability that can be enhanched later?

Or is it possible that he RAF are terrified that that one crew will have to work hard?

14. Forecast ISD (most likely) at Initial Gate: April 2003
    Forecast ISD (most likely) at Main Gate: June 2005
    Forecast ISD (latest acceptable) at Main Gate: September 2005

Original ISD: 2 aircraft and 2 ground stations accepted into service and supported by the provision of an adequate logistic and training support.

Current ISD definition: The availability in service of 2 air platforms and 2 ground stations with a corresponding support capability and provision of sufficient trained manpower.

Reason for Change: Resulting from clarification discussions with customer 1 and 2 relating to operational availability (compared with acceptance) and provision of trained manpower (compared with training support).

15. You're thinking of CASTOR - corps airborne stand-off radar, an attempt to turn an Islander aircraft into a ASTOR platform by giving it the mother of all nose-jobs. ASTOR as we know it today evolved from it.