Sentinel R1 planes grounded by lack of crews

Fair one, but it's not just the RAF at fault. How many Apache do we have sitting in a warehouse for want of crew?

If we can't train 50 men, what chance have we got with JSF, and there is no mention of how many groundcrew are Sentinal trained,

Make a well known phrase or saying from these;

piss-up, could, a, not, organise, brewery, in.

Can mis-management, if that it be, get any worse?

What or who are the causes of this lack of 'joined-up' thinking?

It is a Joint operating sqn, so a mix of Army & RAF. I really doubt it is as simple as portrayed here - I know the guys at Waddington have been flying the backside out of this thing.

Tropper - JSF & Sentinel - different beasts - JSF replaces a type, so you have a workforce in place.

I have a theory, I think because we get used to major projects being years late and billions over budget when they do finally turn up its a big suprise and it's a

'oh shi1t, what do we do now'

edited to add, usual spot on reporting. The Sentinel does not provide video footage, it uses radar

aaaah the good old Purple Gate/ IOC / FOC argument. The author doesnt seem to understand the differences between IOC - kit arrives in a position where we can trial it, and do some basic stuff with it, to FOC - kit fully in service for use as intended by the end user.

As always, a lot more to this than meets the eye, but lets not let the facts get in the way of a good story now shall we?

I know MoD quite often selects duplicate project names, but is this the same "ASTOR" that was well under way in the late 80s? I recall a stink when the civvy 1 Star retired on Friday and started work for the company in Texas on Monday.

Is there some good reason that they have to wait for all five with crews before deploying?

Why can't there be some partial capability that can be enhanched later?

Or is it possible that he RAF are terrified that that one crew will have to work hard?

meridian said:
Jim, when is IOC and at what level, when is FOC

Forecast ISD (most likely) at Initial Gate: April 2003
Forecast ISD (most likely) at Main Gate: June 2005
Forecast ISD (latest acceptable) at Main Gate: September 2005

Original ISD: 2 aircraft and 2 ground stations accepted into service and supported by the provision of an adequate logistic and training support.

Current ISD definition: The availability in service of 2 air platforms and 2 ground stations with a corresponding support capability and provision of sufficient trained manpower.

Reason for Change: Resulting from clarification discussions with customer 1 and 2 relating to operational availability (compared with acceptance) and provision of trained manpower (compared with training support).

bakersfield said:
I know MoD quite often selects duplicate project names, but is this the same "ASTOR" that was well under way in the late 80s? I recall a stink when the civvy 1 Star retired on Friday and started work for the company in Texas on Monday.
You're thinking of CASTOR - corps airborne stand-off radar, an attempt to turn an Islander aircraft into a ASTOR platform by giving it the mother of all nose-jobs. ASTOR as we know it today evolved from it.

Mr_C_Hinecap said:
It is a Joint operating sqn, so a mix of Army & RAF. I really doubt it is as simple as portrayed here - I know the guys at Waddington have been flying the backside out of this thing.

Tropper - JSF & Sentinel - different beasts - JSF replaces a type, so you have a workforce in place.
The same as when the Phantom & Buccy were ithdrawn & the Harrier GR3 was replaced by the GR5,over time before those types were withdrawn,the air & groundcrew were gradually retrained on other types on a OCU (Operational Conversion Unit)

One might ask why the RAF haven't looked at a fleet of smaller and far cheaper UAVs to do the same job. Each one is far less capable, but you can afford more flying hours. No brevets though, and the crews could deploy forward for continuous ops - or have I just answered my question ?

One might also ask why flying a business jet 7 miles above the ground waving at the civvy flights going into Kabul couldn't be done in an emergency by a civvy on a contract ?

It would also be nice to know why the original plan to use reservists has been dropped and why no attempts to exploit this pool of available IAs have been made.

I'm sure there are good reasons ... but once, just once it would be nice to see the RAF thinking out of the box and delivering.

On 24 Jan 2001 No5 Sqn was reformed, so they have had nearly a decade to get ready for the 4 aircraft ZZ416-419