Sensor clean.

Discussion in 'Photography' started by No_Duff, Apr 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Sensor in my Canon 7D & 5D MkII both need a clean, I've noticed in some Piccy's the spots. I've read a fair number of articles on cleaning but I'd like arrse posse solution :)

2. It's a modern day first sign of Spring- blue skies and f22 = a pain in the backside and much time spotting in Photoshop. The most I do myself is give it a blast with a rocket blower- take the lens off, put the shutter speed on to 1/30, hold the camera with the bayonet mount facing the floor, trip the shutter, squeeze the blower upwards into the camera- obviously being careful not to touch anything with the nozzle.

When it gets too much I send it to someone who knows what they're doing to sort out.

3. I do almost exactly the same, but have risked at times using a sunglasses cloth (but only new ones) and gently swabbing at more persistent dust areas.

I'm surprised you're getting issues, I had them with the original 5d but the Mkii vibrating sensor seemed to do the trick for me.

That and I stuck to the same prime lenses on the various bodies and tried not to change at all! When my old man asked me to clean his 5d mkii I told him to get a professional bloke to do it as I didn't want to mash my fat fingers into his only camera sensor.

4. I use Nikons. Minimising lens removal / replacement is definately a wise way to go.

5. Apart from the above, try a (an?) Arctic butterfly brush. It generates static electricity as it is powered by a AAA battery. Brush over the sensor CAREFULLY - this removes all but the most stubborn dust. If, however, you have fingerprints etc on the sensor, professional cleaning is the only way.

6. How would you get fingerprints on the sensor?

7. Duh. Wiping off dust :-D

To the OP, think seriously about touching the sensor with anything other than relativly gentle blasts of air. If you've ever has a camera with interchangeable focusing screens, and tried to clean one of those, you will know that it is much easier said than done. And focusing screens are a site cheaper, less damage-prone and easier to replace than a knacked CCD.

8. Thanks for the replies. I think I'll wait until there are a few more dust spots before I try a sensor clean. The Photoshop clone tool will do for now.

9. Anyone remember the good old days, when each exposure had a brand-new “sensor”? ;-)

I've only fairly recently got back into stills photography and, having been warned about the perils of dust, bought myself one of these: Lenspen - DSLR Sensor Cleaning

After two years (despite swapping lenses in all sorts of locations), I haven't needed to use it once...

Damn you, vibrating sensor! :)

10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

better to have it and not need it, as need it and not have it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lock the shutter open, then push your finger all the way to the sensor and press your finger against it.... hold for a few seconds. That should fek it up. If not pour in nail varnish.

I use a SENSORKLEAR pen, but only when the blower doesn't do the job.

That said, thought the Arctic butterfly brush sounded interesting.

12. www. visibledust. com - mine was a freebie when I took out a photography mag subscription about a year ago. They go for about £40 at the moment.

13. Tool,

I shall take a look later.

Thanks