Sensible advice sought on fitness

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Vegetius, May 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello. I'm looking for some advice from you army types about sorting out my fitness. Frankly, I've let it go and have decided that now is the time to sort it out. The motivation is there, if not the ability.

My current CID role in CIVPOL has been interesting, but quite sedentiary. Lots of sitting about in cars/ empty flats/ the office doing paperwork/ eating shite food/ very long hours etc. I've put on two stone in the past five years for no other reason than by the time I get home I'm too knackered to do any exercise and on top of that I've got kids to look after (etc). Oh, and I'm a lazy barsteward, too.

Now I have an opportunity, as I'm up for a new posting in the autumn and in the interim I'm working slightly more civilized hours with a fair bit of time off. I want to use this to drop a couple of stone, gently improve my fitness and go on to get back my lapsed firearms authorization (which involves a fairly undemanding physical that I'd probably fail at the moment). I've started eating the right things and I've really cut back on the booze, but the pounds aren't exactly dropping off.

However, I went for a bit of a run the other day. Shocker. I'm carrying an old fractured ankle injury and suffer shinsplints. I think I might need another method of building up some endurance before I go back to that one. For the record, I've never been sporty and find most types of exercise, to be honest, as dull as phuck.

When I was in the TA I thrived on the discipline of the physical training and happily kept up a decent standard of fitness. I find training alone, however, really dull. If I could do a two week TA CMS again, I would...I'd drop that two stone easily! Unfortunately, that ain't gonna happen.

So, advice please:

* Can anybody provide me with some general advice as to how I get started?

* What type of regime would suit someone like me?

* Direct me to any decent books/ resources?

I do have access to a police PTI and a gym but to be honest he's one of these (civvie) body beautiful types who looks me up and down and thinks I should be shot and made into soap. Hey there's an argument for that, no doubt, but I don't wanna go there yet.

Thanks in advance,

2. I'd suggest that the best way to trim up is to insert Phys into your day that doesn't eat into your non throwing people down the stairs work time.

I've taken to cycling to work which gives me two hours cardio a day that would have been spent sitting on my arse on the tube. I find that if I wait until I get home to do phys my interest gauge is stuck on zero and my arse on the couch.

Another idea is to get a running/cycline buddy (maybe cycling is a good idea eh biff chit) so that you'll be letting someone down if you don't turn out.

Good luck
  3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Cycling's great - met a lot of formerly very fit runners whose backs,knees,shins,ankles can't take pounding tarmac anymore who swear by the bike.

Swimming can be surprisingly aerobic and is good for upper body toning - but you need to be doing eg 20 lengths per session min twice a week.

Squash is good but you need to be reasonably fit to start with - most of the people you hear of keeling over on court are middle aged people in high stress sedentary occupations who think they can go on court at 40 and play like they did at 20.

Lots of people rediscovering walking for exercise - get a dog ! If you don't want the responsibility and hassle of ownership, your local vet has a card on his noticeboard asking for volunteers to walk dogs for elderly/housebound owners.

All pretty obvious stuff so hope this is not teaching granma to suck eggs. best of luck,

Lee Shaver
  4. Found the site with the same sort of problem myself. Too many years out, sitting at a bench all day & suddenly realised it had caught up. What worked for me was getting a monthly membership for the local gym, (pre-paid). The incentive to start with was that I'd paid for it, so I was bloody well gonna use it.

Doesn't take long from that for the exercise itself to become addictive and you find yourself actually WANTING to walk when you woulda taken the car. Any reasonable gym will be able to take you through a "suitable" regime, which you can always beef up when you feel ready. Group sessions like circuit training also help as you have other people to measure your perfomance against - depressing at first, but feels good when you start to beat them ;)