Seniors in the Officers Mess

Discussion in 'Officers' started by monkey_tech, Jan 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentlemen

I know their has been quite a discussion in the Seniors forum about a Cpl drinking on a regular basis in the Sergeants mess and to whether this is good form.

However, my question to you is two fold.

At an upcoming function in the Officers mess I would like to invite a civilian, substantive rank of Sergeant, as my guest to the function.

So if this is not considered not to bad form, I presume that a letter to the PMC should be written to ask permission to invite her in.

So to summary, can she come, and how do I form the letter I assume I’m going to have to write.

Regards

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

M_T,

If she is not known in the mess (ie not from within your unit), then a quiet chat with the PMC should suffice. No uniform for her, and behaving as the other guests do should see her right.

If she is within your unit or C of C then it is a very different matter.

Duke

BTW, if she is a civilian, how can she be a substansive Sgt?

3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

You say that your intended guest is a civilian with the substantive rank of sergeant?

If she is a Police Sergeant, then there is no problem, since she is (as you say) a civilian.

If she is in the TA, then she is still a civilian unless attending on duty, which is unlikely. However, just in case someone else in the Mess may have met her in uniform, a note to advise the PMC would probably be wise.

4. Thanks Chaps,
    She is civil service, but living on camp she is accommodated and fed in the Seniors mess. I don't think she is known, so I'll try the quiet word with the PMC.
    Cheers

5. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Bear in mind, the rank equivalency is only for T&S - therefore, she is a civvie and should be treated (including invitation) in the Mess exactly the same as any other guest.

6. However, as a member of the Sgt's Mess (living there, paying dues etc) then it might complicate things, so best to ask.

7. I'm confused by this. How can you be a Sergeant and a civilian? Is she TA?

Do civilians live in the Senior's mess? If so, are they given a rank?

Cheers for any clarification,

Confused from Yorkshire

8. Monkey,

What grade of Snivel Serpent is she?

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

If she's a civi - she's a civi, no problem no letter.

10. Then she isn't substantive rank of Sergeant at all. She's the equivalent grade for messing purposes. You've not been for very long have you?

11. C_S is correct. A sgt she ain't. However, best cover your back and have a word with PMC (and probably SLIM). The thing to avoid is stories being told back in the Sgt's mess, but if she was like that, you wouldn't be inviting her :)
    :batman:

12. Don't worry, take her in the officers mess a few times and you can claim she has the "substansive" rank of Captain - if thats how you believe it works.

Just what are they letting out of Sandhurst these days.