• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Seniors in the Officers Mess

Gentlemen

I know their has been quite a discussion in the Seniors forum about a Cpl drinking on a regular basis in the Sergeants mess and to whether this is good form.

However, my question to you is two fold.

At an upcoming function in the Officers mess I would like to invite a civilian, substantive rank of Sergeant, as my guest to the function.

So if this is not considered not to bad form, I presume that a letter to the PMC should be written to ask permission to invite her in.

So to summary, can she come, and how do I form the letter I assume I’m going to have to write.

Regards

The_Duke

LE
M_T,

If she is not known in the mess (ie not from within your unit), then a quiet chat with the PMC should suffice. No uniform for her, and behaving as the other guests do should see her right.

If she is within your unit or C of C then it is a very different matter.

Duke

BTW, if she is a civilian, how can she be a substansive Sgt?

You say that your intended guest is a civilian with the substantive rank of sergeant?

If she is a Police Sergeant, then there is no problem, since she is (as you say) a civilian.

If she is in the TA, then she is still a civilian unless attending on duty, which is unlikely. However, just in case someone else in the Mess may have met her in uniform, a note to advise the PMC would probably be wise.

Thanks Chaps,
She is civil service, but living on camp she is accommodated and fed in the Seniors mess. I don't think she is known, so I'll try the quiet word with the PMC.
Cheers

untallguy

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
monkey_tech said:
Thanks Chaps,
She is civil service, but living on camp she is accommodated and fed in the Seniors mess. I don't think she is known, so I'll try the quiet word with the PMC.
Cheers
Bear in mind, the rank equivalency is only for T&S - therefore, she is a civvie and should be treated (including invitation) in the Mess exactly the same as any other guest.

monkey_tech said:
At an upcoming function in the Officers mess I would like to invite a civilian, substantive rank of Sergeant, as my guest to the function.
I'm confused by this. How can you be a Sergeant and a civilian? Is she TA?

Do civilians live in the Senior's mess? If so, are they given a rank?

Cheers for any clarification,

Confused from Yorkshire

Monkey,

What grade of Snivel Serpent is she?

elovabloke

ADC
If she's a civi - she's a civi, no problem no letter.

Then she isn't substantive rank of Sergeant at all. She's the equivalent grade for messing purposes. You've not been for very long have you?

C_S is correct. A sgt she ain't. However, best cover your back and have a word with PMC (and probably SLIM). The thing to avoid is stories being told back in the Sgt's mess, but if she was like that, you wouldn't be inviting her :)
:batman:

monkey_tech said:
Gentlemen

I know their has been quite a discussion in the Seniors forum about a Cpl drinking on a regular basis in the Sergeants mess and to whether this is good form.

However, my question to you is two fold.

So if this is not considered not to bad form, I presume that a letter to the PMC should be written to ask permission to invite her in.

So to summary, can she come, and how do I form the letter I assume I’m going to have to write.

Regards
Don't worry, take her in the officers mess a few times and you can claim she has the "substansive" rank of Captain - if thats how you believe it works.

Just what are they letting out of Sandhurst these days.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
moggly Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 2
Redshaggydog Seniors 9
the-greyman Seniors 20