Seniors hacking work computers

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by deadc0de, Jun 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today I saw a Senior attempting to reset the admin password on an office desktop with a pw reset bootdisk he'd brought from home. 8O
    I mentioned that the admin password was only a phone call away but it fell on deaf ears...
    Fortunately the guy was too bone to run the disk so he kept booting into windows instead. He was able to change the boot sequence (eventually) without being prompted for a BIOS password also which seemed a bit bad.

As it happened the password was magically remembered in time and all was well but I can't help but think what would've happened if one of the lads had been caught doing the same? JSP 440 anyone??
    Is this common practice for seniors to pwn their work boxes? :?
  2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Section 3 of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 states:

Unauthorised modification of computer material.

3.—(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—
    (a) he does any act which causes an unauthorised modification of the contents of any computer; and
    (b) at the time when he does the act he has the requisite intent and the requisite knowledge.
    (2) For the purposes of subsection (1)(b) above the requisite intent is an intent to cause a modification of the contents of any computer and by so doing—
    (a) to impair the operation of any computer;
    (b) to prevent or hinder access to any program or data held in any computer; or
    (c) to impair the operation of any such program or the reliability of any such data.
    (3) The intent need not be directed at—
    (a) any particular computer;
    (b) any particular program or data or a program or data of any particular kind; or
    (c) any particular modification or a modification of any particular kind.
    (4) For the purposes of subsection (1)(b) above the requisite knowledge is knowledge that any modification he intends to cause is unauthorised.

(5) It is immaterial for the purposes of this section whether an unauthorised modification or any intended effect of it of a kind mentioned in subsection (2) above is, or is intended to be, permanent or merely temporary.

(6) For the purposes of the [1971 c. 48.] Criminal Damage Act 1971 a modification of the contents of a computer shall not be regarded as damaging any computer or computer storage medium unless its effect on that computer or computer storage medium impairs its physical condition.

(7) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—
    (a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or to both; and
    (b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to a fine or to both

A quiet word in his shell like and that of the Razzman might be in order
  3. Or maybe the ITSO's. The offence taking place has nothing to do with the bloke being a senior, he's doing wrong - simple as. If he's got a password lockout or has forgotten the pwd, he should get onto his local IT support. Rather a 10 minute callout than him potentially falling foul of military/civil law or him causing damage to the computer he's attempting to break into. In what location did this attempted transgression of compusec occur?
  4. If I thought he was a cock then I wouldn't hesitate to speak with the ITSO. As it happens the guy is a decent fellow and was just showing off to some young toms who needed to logon (as admin?!?!) and thought he was neo anderson :roll:
    As for the location it was a fairly dusty student computer in a classroom with an audience (smart bloke).
    I don't plan to follow it up other than perhaps have a quiet word with him, if he objects to that then he can standby but I reckon he'll be grown up about it.
    Don't ask why students are using administrator logon. The enforcement of IT regs at my unit is cavalier at best...
  5. Hi guys,

Do any of you know where i can get an R 108 Signal box from?
    Tried E- bay but no luck, willing to pay good money.
  6. You don't say! :lol:

Long may it continue Big feller! :wink:
  7. Can you imagine how much poop would hit the fan if a senior or infact any soldier moded his SA80 to remove the safety catch? or put alloy wheels on his Landrover??

Same bollockings should apply in the case of IT equipment.
  8. Or the neon lights underneath!