Seniority of serving and ex-Regular soldiers on elistment in the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by barbs, Nov 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ABN 103/12
    19 Nov 12
    SENIORITY OF SERVING AND EX-REGULAR SOLDIERS ON ENLISTMENT IN THE TERRITORIAL ARMY

ISSUE

1. The current DIN , which lays down the process for Regular and Ex-Regular soldier enlistment into the Territorial Army (TA), states that seniority is not to be transferred on joining the TA. This ABN rescinds this specific direction. Regular and ex-Regular Soldiers will now retain their substantive seniority upon enlisting in the Territorial Army (TA) .

TARGET AUDIENCE

2. All Regular Army, Army Reserve and Territorial Army Personnel.

KEY POINTS

• Soldiers, upon enlistment into the TA directly from the Regular Army, will retain their Regular substantive rank seniority provided that they are appointed to a position in that rank in the TA.
    • Ex-Regulars, upon enlistment into the TA, will retain their former Regular Army substantive rank upon enlistment in the TA provided that there has not been a break in service of more than three years and provided that they are appointed to a position in that rank in the TA.

EXTRACTION FOR UNIT ROUTINE ORDERS

3. The following is to be repeated in Unit Routine Orders:

Upon enlisting in the TA, Regular and ex-Regular soldiers will retain their Regular Army substantive seniority, provided that they are filling a position in the TA in their former substantive rank and that there has not been a break in service of more than three years.

BACKGROUND

4. The wording in the current DIN could act as a disincentive to soldiers looking to enlist in the TA. This ABN now rescinds the direction given in the DIN regarding soldiers transferring Regular seniority upon enlistment in the TA. This brings policy in line with AGAI Ch 44, Annex C para 6.

5. A revised DIN will be published and TA Regulations 1978 will be amended in due course.

6. Enlistment in the TA does not affect your Regular Army pension.

7. Point of Contact. LF-Manning(A)-Pol-Res-SO2. Tel: 94393 6136 or 01264 886136.

2. That's nice.

3. Sensible stuff - and I say that as a "Territorial". If you look at the number of Ex Regular soldiers in the Reserves of other Armies the % is a lot higher than in ours, making the whole force more capable, better trained and more useable. We also need to work on getting more folk from lower down the rank-structure to join the TA. My experience is that ahigh proportion of current Ex Regular applicants tend to be SNCO/WO - and there are not many jobs at that rank. Human nature being what it is tho, stand by for kick-back from those who'll see Ex Regulars parachuting in above them.Overall though, good move. It should be a lot lot simpler to move Reg to Reserve and Vice Versa.

4. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

What's the upper age limit?

5. It would be nice if the whole process of joining the TA for ex regulars was made so painless that people could pop down one drill night and end up a member of that unit by the end of the next month.

Since that's too tricky........

6. msr

msr LE

Speaks volumes about the level of expectation... should be by the end of that week.

7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It soon will be, for those ex regulars who are current enough.

8. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Personally I think this will be a good thing. I have long had the impression that the TA head shed is the organisation weakest link as far as the Army overall is concerned.

9. I was being optimistic ;-)

10. Since the Regular Army has been managing the budget for the TA since the late 90's then any deficiency in training and standards falls squarely on the desk of the Officer/s who've thinned the TA cake down......

11. The change of status should be as simple as requesting it on JPA, kind of like when the regular soldier pvr's...

12. Absofuckinglutely! Quite frankly, a lot of our generals should hang their heads in shame... Apparently both CDS and CGS told the SofS that they were quite content for the TA to be reduced to skeleton status i.e. some medical untis and the CVHQs in return for maintaining Regular Army manpower at or near its current levels; of course, this got blown out of the water when post-SDSR the Government announced that Regular Army manpower was goig to have to be cut anyway in order to balance the books... So much for their strategic foresight.

13. I'm not too enamoured with this, it all hinges on "provided that they are appointed to a position in that rank in the TA"

Besides, I'm planning on joining the TA and being a buckshee lance jack again, mostly in charge of cleaning my rifle, filling the Landrover with diesel and feeding my self.

I can't ******* wait!

14. The "appointed to a position in that rank" bit is basic common sense - A unit will only have so many SNCO & WO slots, each filled for say 2-3 years. The likelihood of a senior slot being open is therefore quite slim and, as I've posted before, the % of senior ranks trying to join is higher. MOD ain't going to pay for 6 WO1 per Bn..... that said, as we try to effectively double the size of the operation there must be opportunities and a TA wage plus Bounty is a useful second income while looking for that new job.

15. I think its Cap badge specific IIRC.