Seniority and years spent in university

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Bombard, Jun 22, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At a recent familiarisation visit, I heard a quick comment during a briefing on army careers. The briefing officer suggested that years spent in university, could count in some way towards seniority in the army.

Can anybody shed some light on this? The example given of someone spending 3 years in college and having 2.5 years seniority 'credited' to them.

Not being in army (yet!) but having 5 years university under my wee civvie belt, I'm quite interested in the accuracy of the statement. Regards to all.

2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

If you do 3 years (or 4 if you go to a Scottish University) then you are entitled to 2.5 years seniority.

If you do an MA or PhD eyc, that does not count as far as I am aware.

I would suggest that if you have a myriad of quals then joining the army ain't going to give you renumeration in bulk to pay off all those student debts.

If you are just crap and had to resit 2 of your normal 3 years then dry your eyes and come and join the rest of us you are in a similiar level to stupidity.

3. Every year spent 'learning' at Uni is broadly equivalent to a year of seniority. A good chum of mine did a 4 year degree and accordingly got that much back in hand.

This is to 'compensate' those poor students for working so industriously for so long and enticing the little darlings into the Army. In other words, it's about giving these muppets more money earlier, and rewarding their endavours with the possibility of being promoted earlier than their 'thick' non-grad peers.

Having said that, officers commissioned direct from the ranks (not LE officers) also get massive amounts of seniority as well.

**Harrruummpph!**

:D

4. It is hard reading for a degree, the worst is having student loans if you can have them.
    Take my friend for instance, he want to have a loan
    (So that he can pay back money to enable to pay for his tuition fees, books etc)
    He as a student allowance for tuition and equipment for LEARNING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
    Most military attend this uni for what ever reason
    The uni is classed as a private uni because of the flexibility and flexible time to learn
    But the government will not give him help with his tuition fees because the uni is classed as a private uni

If he was a European student our government will bend over backwards to help him in every way with out no questions

My point is!!!

what is the point in helping people with dyslexia read for a degree .

if they will give them help with there english language

And they will not lend them money through student loans to pay the course fees of the subject they wish to read the degree for .

it was our (UK) government fault in the first place for not giving them the help in school for dyslexia ,when they needed it and pushing it in to the background.

5. mysteron

But your mate not thick, he is disadvantaged, therefore, Neue Arbeit will give money to the said individual to make it all better.

6. please explain who Neue Arbeit is please

and no they will not lend him the money , i have seen the documents to prove it from his m.p .

our government is aware of the problem but will not sort the problem out

because our goverment as decided this

7. mysteron

Didn't you do German at school?

Damn your height - New Labour, you dunce.

Now get in the corner you little tyke.

8. Yannie???? is that you???

10. mysteron

12. "My point is!!!

what is the point in helping people with dyslexia read for a degree ."

Your point is pointless. I know a dyslexic student in my university, he graduated with a B.Comm and also did a H.dip. He didn't need help, only a laptop so examiners could read his exams and a bit more time to type them.

Your line of thinking ends in totalarianism where people are valued on their 'contribution to society'. Who decides what to value?

(and remember folks, this is a lawyer complaining that disabled people don't contribute to society. Personally, I'll take the total scientific contribution of a wheelchair bound nappy wetting geek or a symphony created by a dyslexic in preference to anything produced by a lawyer- )

13. mysteron

Hoo, Hoo, LOL

14. One important point to note however is that seniority does not equate to reckonable service. Thus your ante date will put you on a par for promotion with those who joined striaght from school, you will still have to reach the 18/40 point to receive EDP (Immediate Pension equivalent).

15. "One important point to note however is that seniority does not equate to reckonable service. Thus your ante date will put you on a par for promotion with those who joined straight from school, you will still have to reach the 18/40 point to receive EDP (Immediate Pension equivalent)."

Thanks Paymaster. I've since spoken with my army careers advisor, who broadly agreed. His looking at it was that the years in college mean a graduate cadet leaving RMAS spends a year as a 2nd Lt, but paid as a full Lt. After two years as full Lt, he/she becomes eligible for promotion to Captain, (ahead of non graduate who passed out at same time)

Once at captain rank, its all evened out for grad and non grad, which means plenty competition for Major.

(and lets place in context: I'm not past the RCB briefing yet! so long way to go before its a critical issue for me personally.)

Can I ask you to clarify reckonable service? I assue that 'reckonable service' is used in relation to pensions and seniority is a measure used for promotions