Senior Tories earn thousands from banks they criticise

As now Evening Standard belongs to a former KGB spy then it would be interesting to know what it write about.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...housands+from+banks+they+criticise/article.do

THE TORY shadow cabinet has been raking in thousands of pounds in cash and perks from failing banks.
William Hague, Ken Clarke, Oliver Letwin and Francis Maude are all prominent members of the shadow cabinet, which has approved criticism of "irresponsible" bankers. Shadow chancellor George Osborne has led the attack.

David Cameron's effective deputy leader, shadow foreign secretary William Hague, received up to £15,000 for an after-dinner speech to executives from Barclays Capital Markets in May.

Mr Maude is paid an untold sum to sit on Barclays' Asia-Pacific Advisory Committee. The bank's shares have plummeted recently, with investors fearing the extent of its bad debt will force it to ask for government money. So far it has resisted a state bailout.

Mr Clarke, the newly appointed shadow business secretary, pocketed as much as £25,000 in the past three months for talking to beleaguered financial groups, including UBS, BGC International, Cofunds and Goldman Sachs. UBS, which went cap in hand to the Swiss government recently and plans to cut 5,500 staff, gave Mr Clarke up to £10,000 for a speech in October.

The credit crunch saw Goldman Sachs give up its investment banking status after 75 years, but it still paid the former Chancellor up to £5,000 for putting in an appearance at its offices.

Mr Letwin, the Tories' strategy supremo, receives unspecified payments for his role as a non-executive director of N.M. Rothschild Corporate Finance, which is making money advising Prime Minister Gordon Brown on the latest bank bailout.
And you wish to vote for this gang of fat cats?

Wouldn't it be more of a story if they took the money and didn't criticise them?

But thanks for pointing up the failings of our democracy, comrade. I for one welcome our new Putinist overlords.

At least they got paid before the banks all become nationalised. It is one thing giving an after dinner speech, quite another to be the morons who were supposed to have a bank regulatory system in place and were responsible for stoking the housing market and the inevitable demise of western civililization. Blair and Brown - the guilty men. :evil:

In comparison getting £5k off Barclays for a quick chat and a bit of dinner pales into insignificance with the downfall of western capitalism :D

Just checked my bank statements - I was paid some interest last year. In wake of my comments about bankers I had better send it back.

Maybe we should think hard about shameless profiteering of a government agent in some other countries? Sugestions on a microdot to a secret drop-point near Russian Embassy please

At least they declared their earnings as per the Register of Members interests! Unlike 2 sleazy C*nts who sit on the Government benches Hain and Straw! Conveniently forgot about donations of Over 100K and 3K.

And its THIS Government that introduced the rules about making these financial donations public in the register, Straw and Hain were ministers when the law was introduced, using ignorance or forgetfulness as their excuses doesnt wash with me.

Politicians in 'two-faced' shocker! Read awl abaht it!

Don't begrudge them earning money from speaking engagements...none of us would say no...however it further proves that being an MP is a part-time job.

Oh FFS - even Vince Cable who is probably the best of the left leaning politicos in this country takes payments from the Daily Mail.

How far do we need to take this? Politicians get other pay, pretty RMPs do likewise. Everyone earns money somehow, don't they?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
If you're going to criticise a few Conservatives for making £15k to £30k for speaking engagements . . . . wot about the Bliar and Wide Mouthed Frog - farkin MILLIONS from talking to oil execs, banks etc etc.

I have no problem with MPs working outside of parliament - even in the banks.

However, councillors have to declare an interest and when debating something about their employers they cannot have a say and have to leave the chamber when the votes are cast.

why doesn't this happen with MPs?