Senior Tories call for £130k Salary

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by beemer007, Aug 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Sounds like a good idea as you get to scrap the 'expenses'.

2. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

3. To attract even 'middle of the road' talent, MPs ought to be paid more.

Some expenses are obviously required. The MP for Shetland and the Orkneys should not be forced to pay for his accommodation and travel from an identical salary to the MP for The Cities of London and Westminster.

I acknowledge that the current salary £64,000 (?) will seem akin to riches undreamed of to many, but in reality it is very modest salary in today's world.

A large 'pay-rise' for MPs MUST be handled with care and tact AND with a reduction in the number of MPs - there are currently too many - far too many.

My only reservation is that vermin such as Jones and Hain would be rewarded by my tax!
  4. Methinks he will be unsalaried as from next year, although he probably has a fat pension from his time in the House of Commons. Cameron needs to grip him and Alan Duncan firmly, but I shan't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.......
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It wasn't so long ago that all MPs were unpaid. It ensured they were successful people in their own right and had a bit of an idea of how the world and business worked. It is high time we returned to that as the current crop are second rate nobodies who haven't the first clue about anything. Give them more money, I think not.
  6. If they want £130k I suggest they resign from Parliament and seek it in the private sector.

Being an MP is not a career, profession or even a job - it's a duty. If they don't think the money's good enough, I'd suggest they're the wrong person for the job.
  7. That's because your average doctor, judge or brigadier works significantly harder and requires more than the ability to cast a vote in the direction that their party whips tell them or ask a question from a piece of paper handed to them by somebody from the front benches.

A doctor, judge or army officer has typically spent a lot of time and effort getting trained, gaining experience and the respect of their peers and superiors in order to be appointed and promoted. All an MP has done is persuade 10,000-13,000 proles who've agonised over the decision for as long as 3 or 4 seconds that he's not quite as big of a c0ck as the other muppets standing next to him on the stage come election night.
  8. I do agree there are too many MP's, even Sir Richard Branson recently commented to this fact,

David Cameron moved swiftly today to distance himself from party grandees who embarrassed him by asking for MPs’ salaries to be doubled.

He let it be known that they were speaking for themselves and their views were not those of the party.

Full story:
  9. Best description of an MP I've ever read!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

10. Not excessive in my view. The expenses scam was in part caused by low salary.
  11. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

The monumental studpitidy of those two to suggest such a thing when many in the public sector are facing harsh cutbacks and pay freezes amazes me. Unfortunately it doesnt surprise me. I would rather David Cameron make an example of them of greed and f them off at high port.

This reasoning that the public sector must equate to the private sector pay must be put to death. Its a falsehood that is perpetuated by those who have risen in the public services to make themselves very comfortable indeed without much effort.

I have no objection to Richard Branson being a billionaire. He took the risks and with every one he stood to lose the arse out of his trousers. That is not so with our public sector chief executives. If they want to be equated with the private sector then they should fcuk off and earn it in the private sector. They arent in charge of multi-million pound enterprises they are just a part of the flow of cash from the Government that makes things like the NHS happen. In the main private sector and public sector arent incompatible but the differences are huge. I didnt join the Army or the NHS to make a fortune. The jobs were very interesting and stimulating and still are after 30 years of public service.
    One essential element that both the present government and the next one really need to understand that people like the majority on this site didnt go into the military to found a multi-million pound company or join the police for the glamour or go into the NHS for the money. Its a different set of motivations and they government is always going to need us, no matter what the economic climate. Decent pensions and looking after those who have accepted such duties and have been hurt because of the things they encountered is part of that deal. If any government think that we are optional then they are in for a very rude awakening.
  12. It was caused by MP's inflated view of themselves, if they were truly representing the views of their constituents instead of rubber stamping the party line then there may be an argument for a rise, as it is I concur with smartascarrots advice, if you want £130Kpa then resign and go and get a job paying it, you are easily replaceable.
  13. Let's pay more, attract some decent candidates - However, with the bigger carrot on offer, then should there be a bigger stick too?

It's not a duty - it's not something anyone has to do, but we need the correct mixture of someone who wants to do it, can do it and is wanted by the people to get it done.

At the end of the day, we the electorate choose those who represent our country.

14. It was entirely due to low salary.

Governments and Oppositions were too spineless to argue the case for realistic salaries, and instead plumped for a byzantine system of allowances which was so opaque it was unmanageable and open to interpretation.

I believe it was only Robin Cook who fully appreciated the implications of the FoI Act and he warned that MPs were standing in the way of an oncoming train.