Senior Regiment of the Line!

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Skinn_Full, Jun 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all ,I was recently conversing with a mate of mine about a young PWRR officer we had encountered whilst on a course together. The guy kept harping on about the PWRR and would throw in ".......we are the senior regiment of the line you know......!" at every available opportunity, he was in turn followed around camp by another strange chap, who, for reasons unknown must have been slightly confused about his regimental identity, beret sloped down over his eyes, cap badge over left ear, para smock with belt over the top (extremely tight) but sadly (for him), no wings!!, wandered around camp growling at people, a nice enough guy though. Anyhow.....Who is/are the senior regiment/s of the line including the recently disbanded scottish regiments. (None of this Pontius Pilates body guard silliness either!!!) Just the facts.

Cheers Easy.
  2. The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment is the senior English Infantry Regiment of The Line. It was formed on 9th September 1992 by the amalgamation of the Queen's Regiment and The Royal Hampshire Regiment. It is the Infantry County Regiment of London, Surrey, Kent, Sussex, Hampshire, Middlesex, Isle of Wight and the Channel Islands, and forms part of the Queens Division.

So in a way he was correct.
  3. I would have to say, based on what normally happen on bastardising regiments, it would have to be what ever Bn of RRS has the Royal Scots, which should be the 1 Bn RRS. The little prick needs telling that 'oldest' doesn't mean 'senior'!
  4. I realise the senior English Infantry regiment is PWRR, (That fruitcake from the PWRR made sure I wouldn't foget it!), I'm more interested in the seniority of British Infantry regiments of the line.
  5. I remember the Queens Regiment using the slogan "Englands senior Infantry Regiment" in recuiting posters during the early 80s. The key being in "ENGLAND".

Regards LT.

Edited to add
  6. Kings Troop are senior????
    That bunch of effeminate pandering puss spewing fen-sucked elf-skinned puttock jolt-headed toy soldier horse worriers????

We can do better than that surely?
    Can't we get a proper unit to do it?...I mean nobody....but any time....has ever uttered "oh my god its The Kings Troop" in abject terror.
  7. We can do better than that surely?
    Can't we get a proper unit to do it?...I mean nobody....but any time....has ever uttered "oh my god its The Kings Troop" in abject terror.

Except dog owners before the fireworks (blanks ) go off.
  8. Well, based on the fact the Royal Scots were THE senior regt of the line in the British Army, it surely follows that whatever their decendents are, inherits their status as such. end of!
  9. I think you are wrong I am sure I heard it in a Monty Python sketch...... :lol:
  10. Surprised if he wasn't banging on about being the most decorated unit since World War 2...
  11. So Light Infantry is the most senior Yorkshire regt
  12. The Royal Scots' lineage even pre-dates their service in the British Army (from 1633) - they were formed from those Scots who had seen service in the Green Brigade of the Swedish Army of Gustavus Adolphus during the Thirty Years' War. A Scottish friend of mine believes that their origins may even stretch back to the late 16th century.
  13. The Royal Scots (Now 1st Bat Royal Regiment of Scotland) was formed in 1633 and as such is the oldest Infantry Regiment of the Line in the British Army.
  14. Now if he is PWRR that was formed in 1992 then that is the age of his Regiment as the other have been disbanded. If this was the case there other regiments far older that have bee amalgamated into other regiments, which could almost take you back to King Arthur, now do they want count those in as well