senior PTI acting as C.Os bodyguard

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by martin7606, Apr 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it still (in fact, was it ever) the case that a senior PTI would act as the C.O's bodyguard on ops. Was there or is there any specific training provided? I imagine this role extends into a combat setting rather than a typical C.P role.
  2. Was definetly told this was the case whilst zooming round barossa with a pti, that was feb / march time last year. Seem to remember it being mentioned in sniper one.
  3. Tankie2ndrtr

Tankie2ndrtr Old-Salt Reviewer

Our Tiffy Muscles was the CO's BG in Telic 1.
  4. After the female one was sacked after only a few weeks, as she did not wish to go to war. :x

Has any female Muscles carried out this position?
  5. Tankie2ndrtr

Tankie2ndrtr Old-Salt Reviewer

There are Female Tiffy muscles ?... Unheard of in a Tankie Unit. Perhaps some of the "REMF" Regiments have them.
  6. The female I am referring to was posted into 2RTR just before Telic, but was posted out pretty sharpish after she did not want to play in the sand.
  7. Co of PWRR (1st Bn? - Can't remember) during Telic 4 (Al Amarrah etc) in 2004, had his APTC wallah as bodyguard. He is now our SMI at 43 Bde RTC. That was five years ago mind.
  8. Sacked from the Forces I hope.
  9. Acting as the bodyguard for the CO is the war role of the battalion's Mr Muscles. It is laid down in various publications I have seen, but none of which I have access to anymore. As has been alluded to above, we are talking about in the green world, not CP stuff.

In an account of operations in Malaya (IIRC) the Muscleman of a particular infantry battalion was also the operator of the flamethrower which they had aquired and put to good use.
  10. The Battalion's Provo staff could also be involved in this role as part of their duties within CO's TAC - that was the case on Herrick 8 last year.
  11. What and then claim sexual discrimination????
  12. Co Black Watch had his PTI as close protection in Gulf War 2 as was seen in DT front cover photo when they went to TOSs and hackles from tin bins.
  13. Serving in NI 77-78 with an RA Regt, the CO's minder was our senior APTC wallah (SSGT).
  14. Body Guard is a little over the top - perhaps only used by the likes of Baron von Castleshortt (wee Jimmy of the IBA). Bn APTC SNCO tends to run the CO's Rover Group.
  15. As long as I can remember the chief GTI has been in the CO's r Gp acting as his close protection.