Senior Officers wives

Outstanding said:
Do Senior Officers wives get over involved in their husbands work?
The wife from #10 is no doubt involved.

Outstanding said:
Do Senior Officers wives get over involved in their husbands work?
Stop it, you are killing me! My sides are splitting...

Worked with a 2* in Heidelberg a few years ago. He had the NI gong, she a MBE for all the charity work she had done over the years across countless garrisons. He was jealous!

Good girl too.

Pips

Old-Salt
Let's not just look at Senior Officers wives, why not open it to all wives.

At there own level, I am sure they all have an affect on their husbands work/performance!

Not least there morale!

I dont mind that what wazzes me off is when they start messing where they shouldn't be messing. We had a COs wife who insisted on being saluted - tried to have gate sentry charged for refusing!

my wife gets involved in all things military, expects to be saluted even by me!! but then she is an officer.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Outstanding said:
<snip> We had a COs wife who insisted on being saluted - tried to have gate sentry charged for refusing!
You do not salute a wife (unless she is a serving officer) full stop, end of subject. You only salute commissioned officers. If she doesn't like it, give her the phone number of the Samaritans!

Legs wrote:

You do not salute a wife (unless she is a serving officer) full stop, end of subject.
I always remember being told that it was good form to salute any lady of one's acquaintance when in uniform. It's because one can't raise one's hat!

Years after leaving I met, through buisness, a lady whose late husband was a Brigadier. She was uber posh, and a little like Margaret Rutherford from the old B+w Miss Marple movies. She did a lot of charity work and was always very nice. It used to make me pee myself when my colleague, the ex- wife of a RGJ snco, used to call her Mrs. Brigadier B*****.

CaptainPlume said:
Legs wrote:

You do not salute a wife (unless she is a serving officer) full stop, end of subject.
I always remember being told that it was good form to salute any lady of one's acquaintance when in uniform. It's because one can't raise one's hat!
As subbies we were always expected to (and happy to) salute senior officers' wives in our Regt in Germany. As it's just an extension of manners then I can't see what the fuss is about.

Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
CaptainPlume said:
Legs wrote:

As subbies we were always expected to (and happy to) salute senior officers' wives in our Regt in Germany. As it's just an extension of manners then I can't see what the fuss is about.
what if she's a true scrubber riding on the coat-tails of hubbies success....and they do exist!

Legs is spot on when he said: You do not salute a wife (unless she is a serving officer) full stop, end of subject. Remember too that it is the Commision (ie The Queen) that you are saluting and not the individual.

Outstanding wrote:

Legs is spot on when he said: You do not salute a wife (unless she is a serving officer) full stop, end of subject. Remember too that it is the Commision (ie The Queen) that you are saluting and not the individual.
I beg to differ, as it appears Ethel does too. By saluting one is paying a compliment, and when I commissioned we were taught to salute ladies of our aquaintance in lieu of doffing one's hat. Similarly when in civilian clothing and wearing a hat one should raise it to senior officers instead of saluting. I suppose this is all a bit archaic, though, thanks to the sad decline in hat-wearing!

I take your point and agree that this has been the case. I think what we are driving at is that there is no obligation to salute a Senior Officers Wife.