Senior militant killed in Iraq by British Forces

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mad_Moriarty, Sep 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is the type of news we want to hear from Iraq:

British forces have killed a senior al-Qaeda fugitive in a raid on a house in the southern Iraqi city of Basra, security sources say.
    Officials named the dead man as Omar Farouq, a top lieutenant of Osama Bin Laden in south-east Asia.

Farouq was captured in Indonesia in 2002 but escaped from a US military prison in Afghanistan last year.

Security sources say he was hiding in Basra and was not known to be actively operating in the area.

Well done lads
  2. Are you saying we did not try to capture him, but shot the poor defenceless mass murderer out of hand? We should have asked him nicely to come out with his hands up so that he could have a trial so he could blame us for all the killing he has committed.

Good job lads, hope he had a long time to review his grotty life before the end.

edited for key rash
  3. These are the words of the BBC, not me!!!
  4. Good news....and although whilst it's not worth breaking open a bottle of Veuve over....I may just have to have a celebratory Double Whopper for lunch :)
  5. Excellent job fellas, I hope the scum went screaming in pain.
  6. Let's analyse this information.

Such a prominent terrorist should be surrounded by followers, by at least body guards. But...

Alone in the house? It looks like he was not "a top lieutenant of Osama Bin Laden" but rather unwanted wittness.;_ylt=ArX8rwOyIMN22UX77zkMKtJm.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

I propose my version. Likely Omar Farouq was alive then the lawyers demanded his presence on the trial. So the story with his myrical escape was invented to save some arrses. Now the dead body has been planed in the house in Basra where it has been 'discovered' after a 'gun battle'.
  7. He's dead.

8. Sergey,

I think your watching too much of those murder detective shows like CSI Miami & Cold case! :)
  9. Doesnt matter who it is. Atleast it aint another British name. Keep killing them boys. 3million or so to go!
  10. About zero. Apparently the man was not involved into the insurgency. So his death would not stop plantings of IEDs and mortar attacks.
  11. Ahh but the only good al-Qaeda member is a dead one!
  12. I appreciate what you're saying Sergey.

But to my mind, the only good brainwashed hardcore terrorist fanatic is a dead one.

If we had a chance of turning him , he wouldn't have gone E+E out of Bagram. Though I am puzzled as to why he went to Iraq, as oppsed to hiding elsewhere , unless it was to co-ordinate more terrorist activity.

If he wanted to give himself up , he'd have presented himself at the main gate.
  13. No one tear in my eyes caused by his death. However, from strategic point of view significance of the death is about zero. Apparently tha man was not an active field commander, acting organiser of terror acts or/and military operations.

It is not clear for me was he indeed a member of al-Qaeda. It is possible that not.

14. Sergy, as one who normally share your views....please bear in mind the following facts.

He was a Wanted Man.
    He was orginally from Iraq.

Therefore, one could rationally argue that he might want to head home to lie low and avoid capture. Iraq is a good place to hide, limited central government, family ties, abundance of wpns for self protection....sadly it also has a lot spies :wink:.

One question three parts:
    On escaping from Baghram who did he avoid capture in AFG :?
    Which route did he use to get to Iraq? (via Pakistan and/or Iran)
    On entering IZ why did the IZ border gaurds fail to detain him. :wink:

Flippant questions I know............. but in all seriousness, nailing this guy in IZ suggests that most of Centcom is a permissive environment for AQ to operate within. Until the countries in Centcom become significantly less permissive we are not going to get out of IZ or AFG.
  15. Wanted?

I agree, there are too many questions. So the story is more complex than it looks from the first glance.

Edited to add this quote