Senior British diplomat strip-searched

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3381751,00.html

The Foreign Ministry has issued a formal apology to Britain's deputy consul-general to Israel following an upsetting incident during a visit to the Prime Minister's Office in Jerusalem, where she was subjected to a strip-search despite having diplomatic credentials

Janet Rogan is one of the top diplomats in Israel, but that apparently did not factor into the considerations of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's security detail.
Rogan, the deputy head of Britain's diplomatic mission to Israel, was accompanying a delegation of British Treasury officials who were holding several high-profile meetings with Israeli officials.

The delegation, en route to meet with Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's chief of staff Yoram Turbowicz and top foreign policy advisor Shalom Turgeman, had submitted the names of its members to Olmert's office in advance. However, when the group reached the office gate the group was not allowed in immediately.

The security guards demanded Rogan go through a physical security check, to which she refused, presenting her diplomatic credentials. An exchange of harsh words developed and Rogan was ultimately taken behind a screen and physically searched, having to lift up her shirt.

Rogan stated in her complaint that the other members of the delegation were shocked at what had transpired and that by the end of the process Rogan was upset and had begun crying.

She should have told them to poke it, and that the PM would know where to find her when his security team had been 're-educated'...

Should have told them it was San Salvadorean diplomats they were supposed to do that to!

Agent_Smith said:
She should have told them to poke it, and that the PM would know where to find her when his security team had been 're-educated'...
Absolutely!

KGB_resident said:
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3381751,00.html

The security guards demanded Rogan go through a physical security check, to which she refused, presenting her diplomatic credentials. An exchange of harsh words developed and Rogan was ultimately taken behind a screen and physically searched, having to lift up her shirt.

Rogan stated in her complaint that the other members of the delegation were shocked at what had transpired and that by the end of the process Rogan was upset and had begun crying.
My bold: understandable, but something which will undermine her in the future, no matter where she serves. I definitely think that words should have been had and the meeting rescheduled.

Much as I understand the diplomatic sensitivity of the issue. Welcome to the real world Mrs diplomatic person. That she was reduced to tears is ridiculous. Ordinary people are subjected to similar ordeals daily just for daring to go to the USA as tourists. Since we know she had nothing to hide she should have simply played along and then made an official complaint later.

No she shouldn't. Why should she have 'played along' This was done for sheer spite. Has it happened to her before or any other high level British diplomat?

She should have told them to ram it, there and then , then gone into reception, called FCO and had a diplomatic communique sent , phrased in the strongest possible terms.

I can only imagine how upset she was, subjected to a humiliating ordeal at the hands of a so-called "Ally" ho-ho. We bend over backwards to appease and help Israel, in return they bend one of our Diplomats over.

So the next time the Israeli Ambassador to the court of St. James is summoned, should we ask him if he prefers vaseline or KY?

was accompanying a delegation of British Treasury officials who were holding several high-profile meetings with Israeli officials.
As for getting free beer vouchers off us now? Spin and whistle.

How very dare they humiliate a British Diplomat in this way.

They very dared PTP and in light of Israels very dodgy geographical location they seem to lean a bit to heavily on their ego at times...

Sets a bad precedent.

Edited because what I originally put might get people all hot and sweaty, even though it may be true.

Kept waiting, then subjected to a strip search.

And at no time did the head Goon call his boss and say , "Your 11.30 is here , but she's got her chebs out right now , be up in 5 minutes"

Personally, I'd be sending the security details P.45's down with the next stag.

They don't seem to have, which smacks of "Make sure they know who is the boss here"

Weasels.

Angry of Arrse.

Janet Rogan is Deputy Head of Mission and Consul General at the British Embassy in Tel Aviv. She joined the FCO in 1986 and has served at the British Embassy in Beijing, where she was part of the negotiations for handing back Hong Kong; and in Sarajevo, where the focus was post-conflict nation state-building. She was then seconded to SHAPE, the NATO military headquarters, as the UK Political Adviser from where she volunteered to go to Iraq as part of the Coalition Provisional Authority. She has been in Israel since August 2005.
So a highly experienced and professional career diplomat , and having been in Israel since 2005 , very well known.

One of our diplomats crying! Because she had to undergo a physical search and "lift her skirt"!!!

FFS - I thought the FCO was made of sterner stuff.

I agree taht her alternative course of action should have been to walk away, taking the whole delagation with her and let them, the Isrealis, come to her.

What we ended up with is a Senior British Diplomat crying like a spoilt little girl. She had options and comes out of it looking like a fool.

seanbean said:
One of our diplomats crying! Because she had to undergo a physical search and "lift her skirt"!!!

FFS - I thought the FCO was made of sterner stuff.
Alright fella. Next time you let a man with a big gun touch you where you wee to prevent an international incident, I expect you to stifle it. That's about the equivalent.

Yep diplomatic credentials are there for a reason. They need our support more than we need theirs. I'm usually sympathetic to the Israeli viewpoint but not when they clearly take the piss. Definitely should have walked away until they learned how things are supposed to work.

Looking at her CV , she is made of the right stuff. For her to break down and cry means she felt humiliated and violated. How far did the security detail have to push to have that happen?

PartTimePongo said:
No she shouldn't. Why should she have 'played along' This was done for sheer spite. Has it happened to her before or any other high level British diplomat?

She should have told them to ram it, there and then , then gone into reception, called FCO and had a diplomatic communique sent , phrased in the strongest possible terms.

I can only imagine how upset she was, subjected to a humiliating ordeal at the hands of a so-called "Ally" ho-ho. We bend over backwards to appease and help Israel, in return they bend one of our Diplomats over.

So the next time the Israeli Ambassador to the court of St. James is summoned, should we ask him if he prefers vaseline or KY?

was accompanying a delegation of British Treasury officials who were holding several high-profile meetings with Israeli officials.
As for getting free beer vouchers off us now? Spin and whistle.

How very dare they humiliate a British Diplomat in this way.
In historical terms this is not very far from being an act of war. Higher up the list than kidnapping sailors and marines, certainly. We've definitely kicked off in a big way over rather less.

As she didn't actually strip I can't see how it was a "strip-search".

Typical hysterical reaction from a self-important diplomat, a bit like the "don't you know who I am" from the wide-mouth frog a few days ago.

http://www.univ.ox.ac.uk/oldmembers/events/2006-12.html

Looking at the photo (bottom of page) those security guards deserve a medal.

Before they make an abject apology.

Edited to add:

Sergey 'forgot' to add the next paragraph

The incident was brought to the attention of the prime minister, who was outraged and demanded an internal inquiry. A formal apology was issued to and Israeli Chief of Protocol Yitzhak Eldan apologized to Rogan in person.
Which was at least the correct response by the Israelis.

The point is, they bloody well knew who she was.

Now I'm thinking it was retaliation.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/822170.html

British embassy funding study on impact of separation fence

By Aluf Benn, Haaretz Correspondent

The British Embassy in Israel is helping to fund research on the enclaves created by the separation fence around Palestinian villages in the West Bank.

The study is being carried out by the non-governmental organization Bimkom- Planners for Planning Rights. Officials from Bimkom say that the embassy contributed about 10,000 pounds towards work on the study, but did not interfere in its content.

A source in Israel's Foreign Ministry on Monday criticized the action. "It is interference by Britain in an internal Israeli matter. How would they react in London if our embassy was to fund research on a British organization that is trying to promote an agenda that is critical of [the government]? This is not acceptable in international relations."

The British Embassy issued the following response: "We recognize Israel's need and right to defend itself, but we believe the route of the separation fence should follow the Green Line. [Our] funding of the research was intended to examine the implications of the current route of the fence on the Palestinian population."

Bimkom's study, which was completed a few months ago, describes the difficulties that the fence causes for Palestinians in the enclaves on either side of the barrier. The authors of the report conclude that in addition to the security aims of the fence, it is also intended to aid the Jewish settlements and permit them to expand at the expense of the quality of life of the Palestinian residents.

British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett is currently on her first official visit to Israel and the Palestinian Authority. In Israel she will meet with Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, Defense Minister Amir Peretz and the chairman of the opposition, Benjamin Netanyahu. In Ramallah, Beckett will meet with PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas.

In an announcement issued before her trip to "Israel and the Occupied Territories," Beckett said, "I want to see for myself the prospects for moving forward the political process."

Ex_ex said:
Typical hysterical reaction from a self-important diplomat, a bit like the "don't you know who I am" from the wide-mouth frog a few days ago.
Not at all. The WMF is a mere consort (putting it politely), diplomats are officially accredited representatives of sovereign states. VERY different positions and situations.