Sending stuff to soldiers in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Monday books, Oct 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies mods if this is in the wrong place or has been dealt with before, but I can't find it if it has.

My kids and their schoolfriends want to send a parcel of stuff out to Afghanistan - can anyone advise as to what sort of things are wanted?

(Please bear in mind they are primary school age, so jazz mags and 'suggestive' pics of themselves are perhaps not the sort of thing we're thinking of - I was wondering more about stuff that might be scoffed or otherwise of practical use?)

Thanks.

2. Crap pictures of a 'house' with some 'people' stood outside?

3. Right, we'll get a few of those sorted out, thanks.

4. What a great idea. First off make sure they specify on the outside whether it is for a female or male soldier (last year in Iraq i was delighted to receive some 'More' magazines and a range of womens toileteries!!!!! A small letter with a return address is nice, so the recipent can send a thank you 'bluey' to the child who took the time and pocket money to cheer them up. We can pretty much get everything out here that you could get in a 'spar' shop (apart from guys out in the hooloo). Chocolate always melts so may not be the best. If you are sending stuff for christmas, maybe some decorations, christmas type foods or a santa hat! War/action/andy Mcnabb/crime/germans getting bayonetted/horror Books always go down a treat (and if you get them from a charity shop not too expensive, 20p or so)! I think most blokes just like the idea that someone has taken the time to do this, so dont worry too much about the contents!!!

5. Is there a size/weight limit for parcels being sent out?

6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

You may find info HERE

7. Up to 2kg can be sent to Afg and Iraq for free from the local post office :D
    There are other threads but heres some tips
    Haribo
    FHM/Nuts etc
    random toiletries
    new toothbrush/flannels etc
    new boxers

8. Thanks Alaarm.
    Re size and weight issue, it's free to Afghan BFPOs (and Iraqi ones) and there is a weight limit of 2kg.

9. double post

10. Cheers Elovabloke/all.

11. Thanks for the links.

I am thinking of getting some people at work to either have a whip round, or just request people to make there own parcels and I will take them down the post office.

12. Mind-meltingly stupid question but is there an upper limit on how many 2kg lots can be sent?

13. We have been sending 'shoe box' parcels out on and off since last Crimble, they didn't balk at 60 in one go just before the Crimble cut off but the poor Doris on the counter nearly had kittens...