Sending regulars on a TA PTI course

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Jul 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Is this possible? We are crying out for a PTI, but there is no point sending the PSI away for the regular course.

Could he attend the TA one, so that we can do phys / CFT / PFT on a Tuesday night?

2. Send one of your own guys away. TA course is 10 days. End result is at least one of your blokes will be able to complete his MATT BPFA.
  3. msr

msr LE

It's all about availability - we have people lined up, but trying to get 2 weeks off work isn't that easy, especially given the demands of camp, trade courses etc.

4. Send them away but class it as a short camp - anything over 9 days I believe? You kill two birds with one stone, a rolling stone gathers no moss etc etc etc ad nauseum.
  5. Yes, he can - we've had two PSI's attend the TA PTI course that I'm aware of and I suspect there are more.

Of course, your PSI will have to want to do the course, which he may be loathe to do, as that means he's more likely to be loaned out to other units without a PTI.
  6. Can you not borrow one from another unit in your vicinity? I'm often lent out to run the phys if another unit asks, and they lend their PTI back if I can't make it one night. Works well for us...
  7. Well then its all about priorities!!
  8. msr

msr LE

He is more than up for it - in fact, it was his idea! Do the rules allow for these circumstances? One army concept and all that?

9. msr

msr LE

Not going to disagree with you. We have guys and girls lined up to go, but need a quick solution.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your viewpoint, we are dependent on the exigencies of the family and work prior to those of the service.

10. Have you considered getting guys down to the RTC to do the Edurance Training Leader and Obstacle Course Instructor's courses. They are weekend courses and will give a degree of flexibility until someone can get the time off to do the PTI course.
    Never heard of a PSI doing it, but phone Aldershot, and they'll give you the gen.
  11. I’ve seen regulars attend TA trade courses, obviously it’s not the PTI course but the concept is the same.
    I’d be surprised if it wasn’t possible.
  12. msr

msr LE

I'll give them a bell on Monday.

The ETL does not allow you to do the CFT, as far as I understand it.

13. No, it doesn't, just steady state runs. Doesn't solve the problem does it!!
    Still, might be useful to get a few blokes qual'd up, gives you more scope in future when no PTI's around.

Just athought like, but.. you obviously need a PTI to conduct a CFT, you don't need one to do a "navigation exercise" with kit and weapons (timed of course - and in no way competitive....) - would serve as a good way to 'prepare' for 'Combat Endurance' type Phys. After a few "navigation exercises" you should be ready for a CFT. Then you'd only need to borrow a PTI for the CFT.
  14. msr

msr LE

All of which proves the utter pointlessness of it all.

15. An ETL cannot give you a tick in the box for bounty purposes, for the CFT. However, an ETL can take you for a CFT, for training purposes.

Apart from the madness of the above, the other annoying rule is that the route for runs/CFTs taken by an ETL should be authorised by a PTI.

These issues aside, if you're after being able to run regular phy sessions, an ETL could help.

Also, there's a maximum no. of people that 1 PTI can supervise. I'm not sure that this rule is always followed, but if there's an ETL with the PTI, the no. of people that can be supervised is doubled.