Sending regulars on a TA PTI course

#1
Is this possible? We are crying out for a PTI, but there is no point sending the PSI away for the regular course.

Could he attend the TA one, so that we can do phys / CFT / PFT on a Tuesday night?

msr
 
#2
Send one of your own guys away. TA course is 10 days. End result is at least one of your blokes will be able to complete his MATT BPFA.
 
#3
It's all about availability - we have people lined up, but trying to get 2 weeks off work isn't that easy, especially given the demands of camp, trade courses etc.

msr
 
#4
Send them away but class it as a short camp - anything over 9 days I believe? You kill two birds with one stone, a rolling stone gathers no moss etc etc etc ad nauseum.
 
#5
msr said:
Is this possible? We are crying out for a PTI, but there is no point sending the PSI away for the regular course.

Could he attend the TA one, so that we can do phys / CFT / PFT on a Tuesday night?

msr
Yes, he can - we've had two PSI's attend the TA PTI course that I'm aware of and I suspect there are more.

Of course, your PSI will have to want to do the course, which he may be loathe to do, as that means he's more likely to be loaned out to other units without a PTI.
 

xpat

Old-Salt
#6
Can you not borrow one from another unit in your vicinity? I'm often lent out to run the phys if another unit asks, and they lend their PTI back if I can't make it one night. Works well for us...
 
#7
msr said:
It's all about availability - we have people lined up, but trying to get 2 weeks off work isn't that easy, especially given the demands of camp, trade courses etc.

msr
Well then its all about priorities!!
 
#8
Mr_Relaxed said:
msr said:
Is this possible? We are crying out for a PTI, but there is no point sending the PSI away for the regular course.

Could he attend the TA one, so that we can do phys / CFT / PFT on a Tuesday night?

msr
Yes, he can - we've had two PSI's attend the TA PTI course that I'm aware of and I suspect there are more.

Of course, your PSI will have to want to do the course, which he may be loathe to do, as that means he's more likely to be loaned out to other units without a PTI.
He is more than up for it - in fact, it was his idea! Do the rules allow for these circumstances? One army concept and all that?

msr
 
#9
FiveAlpha said:
Send them away but class it as a short camp - anything over 9 days I believe? You kill two birds with one stone, a rolling stone gathers no moss etc etc etc ad nauseum.
5A,

Not going to disagree with you. We have guys and girls lined up to go, but need a quick solution.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your viewpoint, we are dependent on the exigencies of the family and work prior to those of the service.

msr
 
#10
Have you considered getting guys down to the RTC to do the Edurance Training Leader and Obstacle Course Instructor's courses. They are weekend courses and will give a degree of flexibility until someone can get the time off to do the PTI course.
Never heard of a PSI doing it, but phone Aldershot, and they'll give you the gen.
 
G

Goku

Guest
#11
I’ve seen regulars attend TA trade courses, obviously it’s not the PTI course but the concept is the same.
I’d be surprised if it wasn’t possible.
 
#12
OnTheBus said:
Have you considered getting guys down to the RTC to do the Edurance Training Leader and Obstacle Course Instructor's courses. They are weekend courses and will give a degree of flexibility until someone can get the time off to do the PTI course.
Never heard of a PSI doing it, but phone Aldershot, and they'll give you the gen.
I'll give them a bell on Monday.

The ETL does not allow you to do the CFT, as far as I understand it.

msr
 
#13
No, it doesn't, just steady state runs. Doesn't solve the problem does it!!
Still, might be useful to get a few blokes qual'd up, gives you more scope in future when no PTI's around.

Just athought like, but.. you obviously need a PTI to conduct a CFT, you don't need one to do a "navigation exercise" with kit and weapons (timed of course - and in no way competitive....) - would serve as a good way to 'prepare' for 'Combat Endurance' type Phys. After a few "navigation exercises" you should be ready for a CFT. Then you'd only need to borrow a PTI for the CFT.
 
#14
OnTheBus said:
No, it doesn't, just steady state runs. Doesn't solve the problem does it!!
Still, might be useful to get a few blokes qual'd up, gives you more scope in future when no PTI's around.

Just athought like, but.. you obviously need a PTI to conduct a CFT, you don't need one to do a "navigation exercise" with kit and weapons (timed of course - and in no way competitive....) - would serve as a good way to 'prepare' for 'Combat Endurance' type Phys. After a few "navigation exercises" you should be ready for a CFT. Then you'd only need to borrow a PTI for the CFT.
All of which proves the utter pointlessness of it all.

msr
 
#15
msr said:
The ETL does not allow you to do the CFT, as far as I understand it. msr
An ETL cannot give you a tick in the box for bounty purposes, for the CFT. However, an ETL can take you for a CFT, for training purposes.

Apart from the madness of the above, the other annoying rule is that the route for runs/CFTs taken by an ETL should be authorised by a PTI.

These issues aside, if you're after being able to run regular phy sessions, an ETL could help.

Also, there's a maximum no. of people that 1 PTI can supervise. I'm not sure that this rule is always followed, but if there's an ETL with the PTI, the no. of people that can be supervised is doubled.
 
#16
We have ETLs, it's just the PTI we need.

msr
 
#17
msr said:
OnTheBus said:
No, it doesn't, just steady state runs. Doesn't solve the problem does it!!
Still, might be useful to get a few blokes qual'd up, gives you more scope in future when no PTI's around.

Just athought like, but.. you obviously need a PTI to conduct a CFT, you don't need one to do a "navigation exercise" with kit and weapons (timed of course - and in no way competitive....) - would serve as a good way to 'prepare' for 'Combat Endurance' type Phys. After a few "navigation exercises" you should be ready for a CFT. Then you'd only need to borrow a PTI for the CFT.
All of which proves the utter pointlessness of it all.

msr
Quite so. But remember that being a PTI isn't just about talking blokes out on phys, it's also about the understanding of a progressive training programme, the physical effects of exercise on the body, which parts of the anatomy and physique are exercised during each activity and hence need warming up/cooling down in order to prevent injuries.
You can get around the lack of a PTI in some circmstances, but wouldn't recommend it as a sustainable solution.

(I'm not preaching at you msr, as I'm sure you're aware of all this, just wanted to be clear on the point)
 
#19
Unfortunately this is where the "One Army" concept seems to deviate off course. I'm a pti for my company and when our mpsi at the time went down to fox they sent him back a few days later after discovering he was 4 rifles... Nor do I know whether or not we are entitled to do the all arms?? Answers on the back of a postcard...
 
#20
As a reg I have attended TA cses, that have allowed me to teach both Regs and TA..... but only on weekends :p Likewise a few trade related cses too, ie Hazmat, which met the recognised standards and LPC. When I went for HHI (Spec) there was no dramas.

I attended a SAA Cse in which a member of my section had already obtain his B qual via the TA.

Most courses have similar end states anyway, or they have been split up to allow the TA to obtain the same quals over a longer period of time.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top