Sending post FROM Afghan: Question?

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible for soldiers in Afghanistan to send post other than blueys?

I have been given about a dozen hand made cards to send out so that the lads/lasses
can send them to their families/loved ones back home.

Just hoping it wouldn't be a wasted exercise.

Thanks.

Cliff.

Yes, they can and that includes anything up to a 2kg packet. As mentioned above there is a British Forces Post Office on Camp Bastion; there's also a few others round theatre - the BFPO website has a list of numbers and locations.

Be aware, although sending mail TO theatre is free, sending mail from it is not. So if you want to be extra nice, stick a stamp on the card's envelope too - that way if the card goes to a FOB/PB or somewhere else without a BFPO the chaps can still send it home :) No need for 1st class though, 2nd will do as all forces mail is treated as 1st by Royal Mail when it hit UK shores.

Be aware, although sending mail TO theatre is free, sending mail from it is not. So if you want to be extra nice, stick a stamp on the card's envelope too - that way if the card goes to a FOB/PB or somewhere else without a BFPO the chaps can still send it home :) No need for 1st class though, 2nd will do as all forces mail is treated as 1st by Royal Mail when it hit UK shores.
So, a standard 1st class stamp is sufficient? What? 46p? Hell, I'll make absolutely certain every envelope has one.

Many thanks for the replies chaps.

So, a standard 1st class stamp is sufficient? What? 46p? Hell, I'll make absolutely certain every envelope has one.

Many thanks for the replies chaps.
Don't waste money, stick a second class on!!! Spoken like a true Yorkshireman.

what about sending personal mail from one FOB to another, is that free under 2kg?

I'm squeaky clean so I won't post it as work mail :)

Intra-theatre post is also 2 kg and SHOULD be 5 or 10p. But in reality it's unlikely that your friendly postie will charge you!