Send your children abroad to marry strangers

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
This is the 21st Century, yet still thousands (estimates) of British girls are being tricked into marrying people their parents think will raise their status, protect their reputation if she is married off instead of 'sleeping around' or increase their bank balance.

Apart from a lot of hand wringing and frowning by the Government, what actually are THEY doing about it? Seems to be the charities that do all the work and raise the alarm, otherwise this kind of story never makes it to the headlines.

A spoon though? I would argue that by the time they've reached the airport x-ray machine they are already past the psychological point of no return.

Women who fear being forced to marry abroad told to hide spoon in underwear | World news | The Guardian

But that's their culture and it would be wrong for one culture to impose it's own moralistic values upon another. All cultures are equal, so sayeth the mantra of multiculturalism.

In the real world, the family are likely to beat the daughter to death, strangle her or cut her throat for besmirching the family "honour" if she pulled a stunt with a spoon at the airport.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
But that's their culture and it would be wrong for one culture to impose it's own moralistic values upon another. All cultures are equal, so sayeth the mantra of multiculturalism.

In the real world, the family are likely to beat the daughter to death, strangle her or cut her throat for besmirching the family "honour" if she pulled a stunt with a spoon at the airport.
Your are far more eloquent than me.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
I didn't mean by officials, I meant relatives.
Your right of course. And that is the real problem. The shame, the embarrassment, oh, woe is us! It's ****ing pathetic really. They would subject their own flesh and blood to a potentially miserable existence for the sake of stone age practices that are, in most cases, regional and not required by tenets, text or books of religion. I believe the main man Mo even said that it should be a willing choice, but as with all 'word of mouth' dictates, the message gets warped and spun depending on who is telling it and where it is being told.

I would say that the more Westernized the ethnic groups in question get by multiple British born generations, the less likely this sort of thing will happen. But there are more than enough converts, 'reverts'/born again conservative-religious practitioners' and new wave migrants coming in to keep the 'custom' going long into the future.

Wonder what the divorce rate is with arranged marriages?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer

it's got fcuk all to do with culture in this day and age it's purely financially motivated. I applaud the young ladies efforts to get themselves out of a life of rape and domestic slavery.

OMG I've become germain greer.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
it's got fcuk all to do with culture in this day and age it's purely financially motivated. I applaud the young ladies efforts to get themselves out of a life of rape and domestic slavery.

OMG I've become germain greer.
It's only rape if you have 3 independent (male) witnesses. In one particular religion anyway. If you are in a country that practices the Theocratic version of the 'good book'. Next to India. Which is why their jails are jammed chokka full of raped women. And if you are married to the poor lass, it's not rape as she is 'unable' to refuse your sexual advances at any time. Says that in the text too.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
"I'll cut your hear out with a spoon!"

I will have to remember that the next time I'm eating a boiled egg with an unsharpened teaspoon.
an instant prison shank is a spoon, straight through the eyes or in the ears - nasty.

Divorce rate amongst arranged marriages is very low I gather. there's lots of patios in bradford though.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
It's only rape if you have 3 independent (male) witnesses. In one particular religion anyway. If you are in a country that practices the Theocratic version of the 'good book'. Next to India. Which is why their jails are jammed chokka full of raped women. And if you are married to the poor lass, it's not rape as she is 'unable' to refuse your sexual advances at any time. Says that in the text too.
Didn't the prophet ask the men to be kinder to their wimmin and respect them as he did his milf wife who should have been stoned to death for running a business to keep him in ink and halucinogens? mind you it probably went the same way as the praying towards jerusalem.

This is the 21st Century, yet still thousands (estimates) of British girls are being tricked into marrying people their parents think will raise their status, protect their reputation if she is married off instead of 'sleeping around' or increase their bank balance.

Apart from a lot of hand wringing and frowning by the Government, what actually are THEY doing about it? Seems to be the charities that do all the work and raise the alarm, otherwise this kind of story never makes it to the headlines.

A spoon though? I would argue that by the time they've reached the airport x-ray machine they are already past the psychological point of no return.

Women who fear being forced to marry abroad told to hide spoon in underwear | World news | The Guardian
Well done the Guardian, now lasses being sent away will get someone's hand in their knickers looking for cutlery on the way to the airport.

****ing nobs

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
an instant prison shank is a spoon, straight through the eyes or in the ears - nasty.

Divorce rate amongst arranged marriages is very low I gather. there's lots of patios in bradford though.
Put it that way, it makes perfect sense. But wouldn't a pencil be just as nasty?

The divorce rate must be miniscule. The shame of a divorcee from an arranged OR forced marriage can't be very appealing to any future punters and the parents most likely won't be able to shift them.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
Didn't the prophet ask the men to be kinder to their wimmin and respect them as he did his milf wife who should have been stoned to death for running a business to keep him in ink and halucinogens? mind you it probably went the same way as the praying towards jerusalem.
You sir, have a fine grasp of the nuances of the text. Next you will be telling me that the man with the hitherto unheard of affliction/visions had a knack for experiencing them at the most opportune time. Or inopportune if you weren't him.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
all the papers have it in somewhere not just the lefty ones. anything which stops the trade in teenage girls along with the barbarity of FGM has to be a good thing - doesn't it? the british consulate in pakistan has a huge team dedicated to rescuing 'kidnapped' girls, here the number of asian 'runaways' in hostels is getting silly - this is a modern country with modern ways, respect them or fcuk off I say :)

they have to go further IMO and any parents found trying to damage their kids should either be deported back to where their ancestors originated or have travelling restricted to and from so they cant get out and they cant sponsor illiterate uneducated relatives to come over here to marry their girls in return. the oldham pakistani community comes from just two villages, slap a ban on them and the message will get across to grow up pretty sharpish.

the leftys keep interfering in stuff they don't understand when it comes to the 'traditions' of the minorities, the backlash against those who point out the bleeding obvious is shamefull.