Send your children abroad to marry strangers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Command_doh, Aug 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

This is the 21st Century, yet still thousands (estimates) of British girls are being tricked into marrying people their parents think will raise their status, protect their reputation if she is married off instead of 'sleeping around' or increase their bank balance.

Apart from a lot of hand wringing and frowning by the Government, what actually are THEY doing about it? Seems to be the charities that do all the work and raise the alarm, otherwise this kind of story never makes it to the headlines.

A spoon though? I would argue that by the time they've reached the airport x-ray machine they are already past the psychological point of no return.

Women who fear being forced to marry abroad told to hide spoon in underwear | World news | The Guardian
  2. For doing that little trick guess what might happen?
  3. Command_doh

Nothing much, as its not an offensive weapon.
  4. Not strangers, cousins.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Command_doh

Sometimes. But frequently it is strangers. Heard about a 40 year age gap in one case.
  6. I didn't mean by officials, I meant relatives.
  7. But that's their culture and it would be wrong for one culture to impose it's own moralistic values upon another. All cultures are equal, so sayeth the mantra of multiculturalism.

In the real world, the family are likely to beat the daughter to death, strangle her or cut her throat for besmirching the family "honour" if she pulled a stunt with a spoon at the airport.
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Your are far more eloquent than me.
  9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

wanna bet - good stabbing weapon in a spoon.
  10. Command_doh

Your right of course. And that is the real problem. The shame, the embarrassment, oh, woe is us! It's ****ing pathetic really. They would subject their own flesh and blood to a potentially miserable existence for the sake of stone age practices that are, in most cases, regional and not required by tenets, text or books of religion. I believe the main man Mo even said that it should be a willing choice, but as with all 'word of mouth' dictates, the message gets warped and spun depending on who is telling it and where it is being told.

I would say that the more Westernized the ethnic groups in question get by multiple British born generations, the less likely this sort of thing will happen. But there are more than enough converts, 'reverts'/born again conservative-religious practitioners' and new wave migrants coming in to keep the 'custom' going long into the future.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Wonder what the divorce rate is with arranged marriages?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  12. Grumblegrunt

it's got fcuk all to do with culture in this day and age it's purely financially motivated. I applaud the young ladies efforts to get themselves out of a life of rape and domestic slavery.

OMG I've become germain greer.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Command_doh

"I'll cut your hear out with a spoon!"

I will have to remember that the next time I'm eating a boiled egg with an unsharpened teaspoon.
  14. Command_doh

It's only rape if you have 3 independent (male) witnesses. In one particular religion anyway. If you are in a country that practices the Theocratic version of the 'good book'. Next to India. Which is why their jails are jammed chokka full of raped women. And if you are married to the poor lass, it's not rape as she is 'unable' to refuse your sexual advances at any time. Says that in the text too.
  15. Grumblegrunt

an instant prison shank is a spoon, straight through the eyes or in the ears - nasty.

Divorce rate amongst arranged marriages is very low I gather. there's lots of patios in bradford though.
    • Like Like x 1