Sen John McCains son to join USMC

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Fred_Cat, Aug 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,19974018-31477,00.html

Article from the Times. Sen John McCain's son off to join the USMC. Best wishes to them both.

Love the comment about other Senator's children working as interns rather than joining up.

Any chance of the dear leader's progeny rocking up to RMAS / ITC Catterick in the near future? After all he does keep saying what a marvellous force for good HM Forces are....

Methinks if they did, some of the recent issues about CH47 lift, ECBA etc might not have happened...

ed for typos

2. Good on him. President Theodore Rooseveldt, although no longer in office during WW1, had sons serving between 1924-18. One of them served in the British Army (awarded an MC I believe) while his youngest was KIA as a US Pilot.

3. Good luck to both McCain Snr and Jnr. It's a shame that our political leaders and thier offspring haven't the stomachs for it.......nor the interest.

4. See your other comment:

It's not just senators' children who get political internships: Euan Blair, in all his bum-fluffed glory, swanned around Washington DC for a while, till even that turned out to be too strenuous... :roll:

5. Of course if he wants his Dad to pull strings for him, he won't have a leg to stand on...

All joking apart, it is reassuring to see that in some countries (luckily allied to ours) a career in public service is seen as a good thing. I differentiate between a)public service, e.g. getting into the military and then working in the political or legal areas and b)easy-entry politics, e.g. a job for the boys followed by getting the beazer into the pork barrels and jelly meat in some rather dodgy political think-tank. To my mind, Euan Blair has chosen a feather-bed career and ought really to be questioning the sort of man he wants to be, rather than the career ticks he needs to get/image he wants to spin.

Now, I'll admit I did somewhat nepotistically give my son a job cleaning windows for me two years ago but he worked sixteen hour days. So I am as I say reassured to see that joining the military, especially a hard-charging outfit like the USMC, is still seen even by the privileged, as a worthy starter in the world of work.

6. As Michael Moore (the Sinn Fein loving tw@t) pointed out, very few Senators and Congressmen / women have children serving in the US military despite having supported the GWOT.

On Farenheit 9/11 he very amusingly doorstepped a few with a USMC recruiting sergeant.

7. ...which always struck me as being slightly low. If the children in question aren't adults, they're not eligible to join up and if they ARE adults (and presumably capable of making their own decisions about their careers) then why the assumption that their careers should be used as collateral for their parent's choices?

8. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I thought one had already and the other was in process, ok progeny of progeny, but still related to 'our' leader?

9. On an individual basis this is true. But there is a sneaking suspicion that there is a mismatch between public statements and private actions. Otherwise you might expect to see more young adults from the political classes joining to do their bit in the GWOT. The conclusion that might be drawn is that fighting in the GWOT is good enough for other people's families but not their's.

10. Not a reference to our Head of State, but to Her Prime Minister.

11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I know, I know, but it had to be said :wink:

12. Sorry, difficult to communicate in this format the irony of 'dear leader'.

13. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I actually had a conversation some years ago where I thought we could enact some legislation along the lines of 'send off anyone to war, and they die, then you forfit your own life'. I think this would be marvelous law, they could either muck in, or die by lethal injection later.

14. Well a bit extreme, but I can see where you're coming from. It would certainly sharpen the decision making process and I doubt if the UOR for ECBA would be held up in this circumstances.

15. Intresting to note that the afore-mentioned USMC recruiter has since been KIA in the sandpit.