semper paratus

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by dazzagtir, May 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys, girls.

I was digging in the garden a few days ago (I live on dartmoor) and I found what appears to be an old metal military badge about 5 inches down.
    It's about the same size as a cap badge,
    The words "semper paratus" written across the top,
    At the bottom is two crossed cannons with the numbers 39 below them,
    Above the cannons is what I can only guess as a cockerel...?

Anyone have any ideas what badge this is.?

Thanks in advance
    Celer et Audax
  2. Linky no workie.
  3. [​IMG]

I believe it's the same badge as this one that Joe_Private posted under the title of 39th Regiment Royal Artillery but I'm not to sure if that is the regiment as I can't seem to find anymore about it on smoogle.
  4. I put a question mark after that suggestion, as I could find nothing to substantiate the claim, which accompanied the picture.
  5. You did indeed, that's why I looked it up but couldn't find any information on the badge.
    I am amazed that you even found the image, I've been searching for well over two hours for it.
  6. Thanks a lot Joe_Private.
    You seem to have found. Me the answer I was after in 10 minutes that I've been searching for, for hours..!
  7. I don't know how near you are to Princetown, but it may be relevant that Dartmoor Prison was built for French (and later American) PoWs during the Napoleonic War. No doubt there were prison work parties on the moor at that time.

Edited to add: Actually, it seems that the regiment in question was not formed up until 1894, so ignore previous.
  8. Someones sovenier from WW1 lost perhaps?
    Were any french wounded during WW1 hospitalised in the locality?
  9. There were Free French involved in the Normandy landings, and a good chunk of the troops involved massed in Devon. I don't know how many French there were in that area, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few.
  10. I believe 177 Frenchmen landed on D-Day, if so that is a rare find indeed.