Selvyt - which one??

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by suziekettles, Mar 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Sandhurst equipment list: SELVYT SILVER POLISHING CLOTH (for shoe & boot bulling)

I ordered one from RVOps, but what has come does not mention SILVER. It is yellow (does say "Ideal for shoes & boots") will it do the job or have I wasted my money?
    Have looked at, there are sooo many.
    What do you use?
  2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Don't worry you've got the right one.
  3. Doesn't matter. Everytime you do a wash, throw it in. Alterntively, use it to clean brasses well before it goes anywhere near boots/shoes.
  4. Nemesis. Why be a dick when sensible advice was requested.

Suzie. You have the correct cloth. DO NOT ever use it for anything other than polishing boots. Never let it get near brasso or silver polish or you will never get a shine on your boots.
  5. Who's being a dick? Cleaning brasses with a didge before using it on boots has been used as a technique by HCav for longer than I can remember, and I've personally had no problem shining anything. As long as you scrub it out before using it on your boots, or put it through the wash, there's no problem. Pretty sure there's no need for the insult over such a trivial matter. There's 101 things that'll knack your boots, a clean, scrubbed out didge won't be one of them. You can used brasso on your boots to get rid of any irregularities and smooth out the existing polish as long as you brush polish them thoroughly afterwards. Clearly I don't know anything about cleaning kit, so I'll keep my advice to myself and let the chippies advocate 1 finger bobbing and setting fire to their polish.
    Using your didge to clean your brasses will have no adverse effects on it's ability to get a shine, as long as it's clean. If you're unsure, then don't do it. Just put it through the wash, forget I mentioned it.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. He's right ya know....
  7. My apologies for jumping to a conclusion. However, read your initial advice back and you will see how I might have assumed, as might the OP, that you advocated using it directly after cleaning brasses, without thoroughly cleaning it in-between. Your later, more thorough, explanation is far better and, as a result of it, I am happy to stand corrected.
  8. Remember the secret to success at RMAS: if you need gleaming boots for Coy Comd's inspection, and you are otherwise threaders doing platoon duty cadet or other distraction - head on over to the Y-listers of Lucknow Platoon, who will gladly relieve you of some cash to spend their time between rehab and experimental sh@gging bulling your boots to perfection.

Ideally, you need to find someone who got Y-listed at 2nd or 3rd term - not the gimp who broke his collarbone on the first PFA!
  9. I always found the DS were very happy with I Brasso'd my boots, and Kiwi polished the Brass! New traditions are hard to start!
  10. No problem.
  11. Thanks for your comments, much apppreciated!