Selly Oak mercy flights for Afghanistan wounded delayed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Apr 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Selly Oak mercy flights for Afghanistan wounded delayed by ash cloud
    Apr 17 2010 by Matt Lloyd, Birmingham Mail

Add a comment
    Recommend
    FLIGHTS bringing injured troops to Selly Oak Hospital from Afghanistan have been made subject to the closure of UK airspace.

All flights in an out of the country remained on hold as the cloud of volcanic ash from Iceland hovered over the country.

However, an RAF spokesman said plans were in place and in the case of emergency troops could be brought to Selly Oak for expert treatment.

“We are subject to the restrictions so we’re looking at alternative ways to get people home,” she said.

“With medical evacuations, depending how urgent it is we would come up with something and we have a dispensation for essential flights.

“If we talk to the National Air Traffic Services (NATS) and it’s necessary we can get them home. But there are options to keep soldiers in theatre and treat them there or take them to another European country.”

She added no evacuations had taken place during flight lock-down.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2010/04/17/selly-oak-mercy-flights-for-afghanistan-wounded-delayed-by-ash-cloud-97319-26260918/?

2. And I suppose that if al Europe closes, we could ask the Yanks to medevac back to US. Hard on families, but the important thing would be securing the right treatment fast, without endangering aircrew and medics.

3. Doesnt the above quote make it a bit of a non-story? Those needing life saving treatment are still going to land in Birmingham.

4. Good point, but isn't US medevac still normally to Germany initially? Any news on how the US is handling the same problem?

Either way I am sure that our own medevac system will sort something out as the need arises, either via Allies, or direct into UK.

5. Is it Possible to send your wounded to to our Hospital at Landstuhl until the flights can resume?

I cant see us saying no unless its at full capacity already

6. Given the huge extent of the ash I'd be unsurprised if German airspace is also off limits.

EDIT:

The German soldiers recently wounded in an attack have had to be diverted to Turkey, so German airspace is certainly closed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100416/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_iceland_volcano

7. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Anybody want to tell me what a 'mercy flight' is? Twats. :x

8. It appears that MEDEVAC flights cannot get to Ramstein-Landstuhl, so are now going direct to the US. One article here and another here.

9. There's an almost empty hospital in Cyprus - why not use that?

10. Most of wards and facilities have been closed/scaled back in Cyprus - not cost effective to keep military hospitals remember?

11. So IF royalty or "senior" MP's wish to move they go by train/road or sea?

12. Presumably yes. As a matter of interest, there are no MPs at the moment!

Perhaps we should be thinking again about the importance of the sea lanes and the Royal Navy.

13. I should think VVIP visits would be postponed for the duration; MP visits off anyhow owing to the election (small mercy).

14. I would like to think that possibly Bahrain/Riyadh/Seeb/Q8 could accept a C17 dash. Payback time ?? Would imagine that the very professional Medics & Aircrew down route have various options open.

15. It's not just where the plane can get to, it's what the trauma team is like when the patient arrives. We know a lot about US military medical standards: anyone here know if any DMS PQOs have seen the facilities in the places the previous poster suggested?