Selling your own home - best websites / methods?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by muscat_diver, Sep 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am planning on selling a house in South Wales with a view to buying abroad and would be grateful for advice on the best method of finding a buyer. I have looked at online sites as below however I would be grateful for advice based on peoples experience with this method of selling a house and / or alternatives.

How to sell a house Estate agent alternatives

While most of us considering selling a house would go straight to a high street, there are estate agent alternatives. Foregoing a traditional estate agent and selling your home online, in the local press or via an online estate agent could save you thousands of pounds.

However, you'll need to be prepared to put in time and effort, as you'll have to do more of the work yourself, especially if you are selling privately.

House sale websites

Private property sale websites, such as HouseWeb, Property Broker and are similar to the classified ads pages of your local paper. The main difference is that they allow you to reach a much wider audience.
    A one-off charge of as little as £47 will buy you a basic advert with a photo and a description of your property on HouseWeb's website. That listing can remain there until the property is sold.
    And a higher fee will get you much more exposure. For example, Property Broker charges £134 to advertise, which includes a for-sale board.

Just be careful to market your home accurately: If you're selling privately, incorrect statements could leave you open to being sued for misrepresentation.

Recent Office of Fair Trading guidelines on what constitutes estate agency work means that private sales sites can't do anything except advertise your property.

You have to do everything else yourself, from writing the description of your property and taking photos to handling enquiries, conducting viewings and negotiating with potential buyers.

However, if you've got the time and are happy to do this, there are huge savings to be made by selling your home online in this way.

Online estate agents

Online estate agents provide many of the same services as high street estate agents. In some cases, this can even include handling price negotiations and helping to progress the sale to completion.
    Like high street agents, online estate agents must be members of one of the two redress schemes approved by the Office of Fair Trading - the Property Ombudsman or Ombudsman Services: Property.

A website is likely to be classified as an estate agent if it receives or fields queries from potential buyers, passes on details, sends out property details or arranges viewings.

Even where online estate agents arrange viewings, you still have to actually conduct the viewings yourself.
    Take care to choose the best value sales package, which should include a 'for sale' board, advertising on the web, the option of professional photographs and a dedicated phone number and/or email to keep your personal information confidential.

If you sell your property through an online estate agent and you also have a sole agency agreement with another high street estate agent, you'll have to pay its commission, too.

Property websites

Around three quarters of home buyers now search for properties online and many begin at a property portal (search engine).

Some of the most popular include

• Rightmove
    • Findaproperty
    • Fish4Homes
    • Globtrix
    • Zoopla

They all list property from online estate agents but not all list property from private sale websites.
    Whether you're selling via a high street estate agent, an online estate agent or a private sale site, check which portals your home will appear on to make sure you're making the most of the internet's huge marketing potential.

Sell My House Online | Sell Your Own House | Sell Property Privately | House For Sale - Selling Your Home Online The Easy Way, Selling Your House, Selling Your House, Sell Your Own House On The Internet, sell my house online, sell my house

Houses For Sale | Sell Property | Private sales | Little House Company