SELLING RESTRICTED INFORMATION ON E-BAY

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by plant_life, Aug 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well said that man

2. Whilst I'm almost sure selling restricted information is a no-no on ebay, it is also worth noting the fact that it is restricted information. That is, it is not confidential, secret or top secret. I don't meant to state the bleeding obvious here but restricted information is just that.

For those of you who don't seem to fully understand the classification system.....

Restricted Information is classed as the following....

Information and material the unauthorised disclosure of which would be UNDESIRABLE in the interests of the nation.

He is still a muppet though.

3. Plant-life, if I recall correctly you do nothing but slate RMP. I believe there is an element of RMP/SIB who deals specifically with ebay. Get off your public spirited arrse and find out where, then report him.
    Are you one of those neighbours who, when next door has a noisy party, reports it straight to RMP, without at least having the courtesy to speak to him yourself?

4. Any Document carrying a RESTRICTED (or above )classification cannot be released to anyone outside the Militray (and normally this might even be further constrained to those who need to know the information it contains)

Doing so constitutes an offence under the Official secrets Act - and that is bad bad karma.

5. Fellas,

I have to be honest, its a new one on me! I can see both sides of the argument here. a. Its ONLY Restricted, so who gives sh*t. b. its Restricted for a reason, so squeeze his hairy bean bag until he goes blue in the face and stops his nefarious racket.

Whilst I don't want to get into another 'Monkey bashing Ex', two problems spring to mind:
    a. He is invariably a civvy type and therefore RMP have no jurisdiction (one for the MDP?).
    b. No member of Her Majesty's finest should even attempt to pull the bloke's bluff, until an offence has been identified. To this end, I am presuming that if he has not committed an offence under The Official Secrets Act 1911 - 1989 (and I believe he has), then he sure as hell has under Crown copyright law.......Either way, 'he's going daaaaaaan my son'.....er.....maybe.

I will attempt to find the answers through my CoC and act accordingly. Thanks for flagging it up.

As a matter of interest, the RMP have a poor overworked SSgt who has the additional job of trawling electronic auction sites such as Ebay. His main function is to look for NVGs, Service Wpn parts, Comms kit etc. As Ebay is a vast enterprise I doubt that he would pick this up.

Rgds

Jon

6. Either way he is an enterprising (and may be he sees that he is doing us a favour making this stuff readily available when it is already via other means) young scroat who deserves a pat on the back whilst you squeeze his testies

Cheers

7. Unlucky Sunshine, wrong.

As has been posted,

Information and material the unauthorised disclosure of which would be UNDESIRABLE in the interests of the nation.

Hence Restricted material doesn't require accounting and/or security.

8. Jesus cadets used to (and may still) have restricted pams.

9. Come on we are all adults - we know this stuff gets out but to do so for profit and so publically is very very stupid for someone in the system and of so called 14 years service! - obviously learnt feck all in his career.
    Either way this sort of action it to be condoned and should not be advocated as there will always be some out to make a quick buck and who don't know where to draw the line!

Bust or jail the fecker and make him an example to all - or give him a good public flogging at Horse Guards - that should do the trick

Cheers

P.S Or we could always bin the fecker and wait for him to write his story - would probably go like a bomb on ebay!

10. Whats a Jesus cadet?

Salvation Army?

11. I don't think I've slated the RMPs. I would love to report him however the last time I checked user names on arrse are anon! I've posted on here hoping that somebody who deals with this will read it so I did get off my public spirited arrse. When I saw the thread my first post tried to point out the error of his ways, initially he ignored me however it seems he has realised it's not a good idea. If he wants to share information which is of benefit to the army why does he not post on armynet which is a secure site where information of a classified nature can be shared without the risk of it falling into the wrong hands.

12. And if you think Armynet is secure, you must have your head stuck in the clouds mate.

13. It's a little bit more secure than e-bay. At least on armynet there is some form of access control.

14. [quote="aes69"[/quote]

Unlucky Sunshine, wrong.

As has been posted,

Hence Restricted material doesn't require accounting and/or security.[/quote]

I agree with you,
    Dancing on a pinhead here mate. I do not think that the authorities would be much bothered and the release of RESTRICTED info in most cases would be boring and of no interest, but if the fun police want to have you, you may have to argue in court that the information so released was not UNDESIRABLE in the interests of the nation. In any case, if serving, you could still find yourself in breach of military regulations and Court Martialled for such an apparently minor offence.