Selling a Falkands medal

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by barneyrnsm, Mar 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A shipmate of mine is after selling his Falklands medal to raise money got to pay for a new water boiler in his house. Long story, was self employed now has a job minimum wage but keeps trying to find a better job,is it worth approaching RBL SSAFA etc for help?Finished with main motors and steering

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Yes, get him to call SSAFA.

• Like Like x 5
  3. The RNBT could help too, they list household repairs, energy / fuel on their list of categories of need.

Grants to Individuals

4. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

RNBT will get SSAFA to do the casework.

• Like Like x 1
  5. As Old Baldy said....get him onto SSAFA and hold onto his medal...if you need a number for his local office PM me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. On a practical note, his South Atlantic Medal is probably worth between £400-600, depending on his ship, rate, etc. If he has an LSGC or something else to go with it, then you can add a bit more.

However, if sold at auction, he will lose some of that as a Seller's Premium. As a private sale, he will be unlikely to get the amounts I've quoted. Sadly, which ever way you squeeze it, it won't be enough for a new boiler.

My advice-for what it's worth-is not to sell but swallow his pride a bit and ask for some help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. If you google "Medallas malvinas" there are shit loads for sale!

• Like Like x 1