Sell Off the Last of the Family Silver

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Brick, Sep 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I suppose when you're as financially screwed as the present Government has managed to get itself even £260 million just to try and help fill some of the cracks must seem like a godsend. Here's hoping that they at least get a reasonable price for their final stake in the company unlike last time. Oh wait it's this group of incompetents isn't it, what was I thinking. Look set for the price to drop even more than the latest 8 per cent fall and some lucky bastard to make a killing on it all.
  2. So when the govt sells off it's stake will it still be a govt 'agency' or simply a company in it's own right and we (the UK ) have lost our defence research abilities?
  3. That sentence is positively sinister.
  4. It has been a company in it's own right for many years, and the MOD now buys in research from a number of sources. The government agency is DSTL which is still an arm of the MOD
  5. PTP ... we is heading for poo central with everything to do with outsourceing and PFI PPI and privatisation.

sucks dont it
  6. I know of a rather large and spectacular Gothic building in a prestigious area of London with riverside views and secure parking for limos that could be sold off for a very large sum. The present occupants produce nothing worthwhile and so could be evicted. Out of courtesy we could rehouse them. A couple of double 18 x 24s and a few 12 x 12s would suffice. I'd even be kind enough to lend them some land. I know a good spot on Salisbury plain...
  7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

This reminds me of the gold sell off.

"We're going to sell gold!" announces Brown.

Prices plunge and HMG loses millions in the deal.....

Why on Earth can't they just shut up and sell the stuff at market rates? Up to last week they could have sold at a high of 228p. This has cost them about 10% in value.
  8. Because they're incompetent?

That should read:

Because they're incompetent!
  9. Most of our higher echelon MP's are on the boards of a collection of commercial companies in a non-executive or 'consultancy' role. Their ability to "keep their mouths shut" doesn't even come into it. It's already assumed that these agencies have bought the 'right' to insider information.
  10. And hence why government should be reformed so that this practise is banned. If they want full time salaries they should do a full time job.
  11. Ah yes, the infamous Brown Bottom. Even with the market experts telling them that the price was likely to start rising and that announcing the sale beforehand was lunacy they still went ahead with it. Just fills you with confidence doesn't it?

Still, only another 631 days at most we have to keep putting up with them (fingers crossed).
  12. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Its a fair point. I've just had a quick look at the boards and they are talking about this sell off at the end of last week. Several people v p1ssed off as they were all for taking profits/selling short first thing Mon morning but couldn't when the LSE computers went down.

However general opinion is that business is good and that the business has been held back by HMG. A share to watch in the meantime.
  13. nice plan but I fear all our spare tent age went to Pakistan after an earth quake and a bet no more was ordered.
    still withams have some big diggers for sale alternative accom a large pit?