Self Important and Entitled Criminals - who would have guessed?

Yokel

LE
At school, I remember the teachers refusing to do anything about certain troublemakers (and future career criminals) because of self esteem. "We cannot tell him off, he does it as her has low self esteem" - idiots.

The criminal thinks that he is exceptional and superior. Because of his self-imposed isolation, pervasive secrecy, and constant maneuvering to gain an advantage, others do not know who he is or what he is up to. The criminal thinks he is unique because he has managed to outsmart others and get away with more than anyone realizes. A master of deception, he baffles and surprises even the people who think they know him best.

Because he is who he is, the criminal expects others to accord him the status and respect that he is entitled to. He believes he should be in charge because of his specialness–his intelligence and unusual abilities. If a criminal joins a baseball team, he presumes that he should be the captain regardless of his proficiency and experience. If he is not elevated to a position of leadership, he will either quit or stick around and make life miserable for his teammates.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
We have a local crim, burgled three adjoining houses, caught at home with the stolen property a short while after due to cctv
he is proclaiming his innocence, and crying for his solicitor
luckily the powers that be have kept him locked up , but I am sure we will hear excuses and please in court next week

At school, I remember the teachers refusing to do anything about certain troublemakers (and future career criminals) because of self esteem. "We cannot tell him off, he does it as her has low self esteem" - idiots.

The criminal thinks that he is exceptional and superior. Because of his self-imposed isolation, pervasive secrecy, and constant maneuvering to gain an advantage, others do not know who he is or what he is up to. The criminal thinks he is unique because he has managed to outsmart others and get away with more than anyone realizes. A master of deception, he baffles and surprises even the people who think they know him best.

Because he is who he is, the criminal expects others to accord him the status and respect that he is entitled to. He believes he should be in charge because of his specialness–his intelligence and unusual abilities. If a criminal joins a baseball team, he presumes that he should be the captain regardless of his proficiency and experience. If he is not elevated to a position of leadership, he will either quit or stick around and make life miserable for his teammates.
Criminals have enormous egos and almost zero superegos.

They have absolutely no self control, or ability to control their desires..... Take a criminal who has attained success in wartime, like Chapman. Is it bravery, or inability to understand the dangers, because he prioritised his id and ego desires.

The modern psyche has completely lost touch with reality because they pander to the criminal minded, rather than imposing control. Bronson for instance is an extreme example.

Mr_Baiter

War Hero
This article makes a lot of sense to me. There is a certain boy at my son's school who has exactly this level of entitlement and no self control as a result of his depression (not saying he isn't suffering with depression, that is a hell no-one deserves) but the way his condition is pandered to has led to some appalling behaviour towards other pupils, most notably under 16 girls. The latitude given to him is way above what any other pupil would receive.

It is a huge disservice to the person in question as well - as soon as he crosses a particular line it won't matter what allowances are made for his condition - he will get the sh!t kicked out of him or worse by somebody's father/brother/uncle/friend.

Yokel

LE
'Criminal' and 'politician' would seem interchangeable in that description.
You forgot to mention 'toxic leaders...

I actually posted the link as it backs up my thinking that the approach taken to bullies and troublemakers is totally wrong. Instead of feeding their own sense of self importance, they need to be taught empathy, backed up by consequences.

This article makes a lot of sense to me. There is a certain boy at my son's school who has exactly this level of entitlement and no self control as a result of his depression (not saying he isn't suffering with depression, that is a hell no-one deserves) but the way his condition is pandered to has led to some appalling behaviour towards other pupils, most notably under 16 girls. The latitude given to him is way above what any other pupil would receive.

It is a huge disservice to the person in question as well - as soon as he crosses a particular line it won't matter what allowances are made for his condition - he will get the sh!t kicked out of him or worse by somebody's father/brother/uncle/friend.
Bring back the strap/birch. They seemed to sort out ego and entitlement problems during my school days.

He seems to have written an article that is correct, and based on reality. That of course will be viewed by some as a terrible thing.

You forgot to mention 'toxic leaders...

I actually posted the link as it backs up my thinking that the approach taken to bullies and troublemakers is totally wrong. Instead of feeding their own sense of self importance, they need to be taught empathy, backed up by consequences.
Teaching something to change behaviour is sadly, not as successful as wider society would like it to be. I have little doubt that everyone has broken a rule or a law at some time in their life. There may have been valid reasons for doing such in some cases, and thus the majority accept that there is a consequence if caught. Even criminals understand this it is just a criminal values and prioritises there position to be above laws and rules.

The reality is some people can be rehabilitated, some cannot. the issue is that the criminal justice system as it stands today is riven by concerns to be seen humane. Society writ large however does not have a single view on what is to be done too guard against those who choose criminality as a preferred choice.

I have some members of close family who have in the past been 'banged up', I have a niece who recently should have been 'banged up'. Neither needed to become criminals, however both choose too.

Bob65

Old-Salt
We have a local crim, burgled three adjoining houses, caught at home with the stolen property a short while after due to cctv
he is proclaiming his innocence, and crying for his solicitor
luckily the powers that be have kept him locked up , but I am sure we will hear excuses and please in court next week
Aspergers, that’s the standard defence these days.

He seems to have written an article that is correct, and based on reality. That of course will be viewed by some as a terrible thing.
As pointing out the truth often is.

Criminals have enormous egos and almost zero superegos.

They have absolutely no self control, or ability to control their desires..... Take a criminal who has attained success in wartime, like Chapman. Is it bravery, or inability to understand the dangers, because he prioritised his id and ego desires.

The modern psyche has completely lost touch with reality because they pander to the criminal minded, rather than imposing control. Bronson for instance is an extreme example.
There was a study done a few years ago where members of the Mafia and a control group of non-Mafia criminals were interviewed in prison.

It has been a long held belief that the Mafia is a home for psycopaths and sociopaths. The study found that in fact Mafia members score below the index for those whereas the unaffiliated criminals score above it. So, independent toerags are more likely to kill the family pet, put frogs in microwaves and be generally more nasty. It is put down to the fact that the Mafia is a structured organisation with what is effectively a code of conduct and that when carrying out act's they are usually following orders.

Bring back the strap/birch. They seemed to sort out ego and entitlement problems during my school days.
Some people pay good money to get the birch, or more likely a Sjambok, especially MPs

An old mate, big lump, worked the doors.

He said to me one night, "The problem we have is that they get no discipline at home. They then go to school, and the teachers aren't allowed to discipline them. Then they leave school have a drink and try and come in my club. It's the first time they have come up against someone who wont put up with their attitude."

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Aspergers, that’s the standard defence these days.
Which pisses me off no end, as someone who has a child with Aspergers, I can say that he is the most moralistic child I’ve ever known, it shouldn’t be a standard get out of jail free card.

Chef

LE
There is a school of parenting, I've no idea how long it's been around, that discourages saying 'No' in any way shape or form. Likewise the 'naughty step, or other forms of punishment. As @Charlie4 says the first time they are denied what they want is in the real world this is a new experience and usually turns out badly for the kid.

As an aside i worked for a while in our local primary school where adults are very much constrained in any enforcement action. A fact that the bad kids know and play on. One such child found out to his cost that in secondary school it is hard to tell the difference between adult (constrained) staff and adult looking fifth and sixth formers who do not take kindly to being told to 'Eff off!' by some unknown new boy.

Apparently he learned the error of his ways after some physical attitude adjustment. It made me smile.

Which pisses me off no end, as someone who has a child with Aspergers, I can say that he is the most moralistic child I’ve ever known, it shouldn’t be a standard get out of jail free card.
Teachers do know the difference. The bosses do, too, but they're not the ones who have to teach and deal with the fakes in the classroom so they don't give a sh!t.

"Who's the adult in the room?" is the standard reply, regardless of the antics of the wee shytes.

And breathe. I'm retired.

I've known many moralistic people who were utterly immoral and dishonest in actuality.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SO2_UKSC(G) The NAAFI Bar 157
Tired_Tech The NAAFI Bar 40
royspeed The NAAFI Bar 36

Latest Threads