Self heating meals?

The recent storm related power cuts made me think about these.Are they any good? Do they work? Any to avoid?
Choose options that don't need to be cooked or heated up. This is where wet meals score over freeze dried, pastas, rice etc. If it's so cold the wet meals are waxy, they are still edible. Frozen not so good.

The recent storm related power cuts made me think about these.Are they any good? Do they work? Any to avoid?
Just spread ketchup on a ziploc bag and eat that as it will probably taste better.

They are bloody expensive for what they are just go get yourself a decent two ring camping cooker and a bottle of gas. The vango double blaze is only 29 quid on @mazon UK, other makes are available that may cost more or less.

I have a small selection of these quick cook flavoured rice packets (add water) they cost about $1.50 each, are not gourmet, but they are definitely not worse than the self heating things, if anything they are probably better.

I experimented with the pre-cooked flavoured rice sachets that do not need water adding and are intended for 90 seconds in the microwave. I found that leaving the bag sealed and boiling one to death on the camping stove usually makes it edible after 7 minutes........................................................what can I say, I bore easily.

I have two MSR stoves (one uses almost any type of liquid fuel), as well as a Kelly Kettle - because it's beautiful.
Saw something like that in the BX in Mainz-Kastel (Uncle Sams Army) many years ago, there was however one difference, it had a wind-up clockwork fan to get the flames even hotter, neat device. So I went and bought a camping gaz stove instead.

Further to my above post, the one problem with the Kelly Kettle in this part of Europe is the shortage of readily combustible fuel, or there's far too much of it and anyone caught even thinking of starting a fire gets shot.
However I have found that silver birch bark burns quite readily with a smokey flame, which is due to a turpentine like substance in the bark. Quite good as a fire starter, too bad that open fires are verboten in just about all wooded areas.

I saw some today at £4.99 for one tin.Limited selection of menus.
In another the heat source was crushed limestone that reacted with water to create heat.I thought that was quite clever.
Pedantry - not limestone. It will probably have been calcium oxide (quicklime).

In another the heat source was crushed limestone that reacted with water to create heat.I thought that was quite clever.
As a small experiment boil a kettle, stand a small open tin of beans and sossidges into a bowl, then pour in the hot water to surround the tin, leave for a few minutes then eat the beans et al. Not too hot.

Further to my above post, the one problem with the Kelly Kettle in this part of Europe is the shortage of readily combustible fuel, or there's far too much of it and anyone caught even thinking of starting a fire gets shot.
However I have found that silver birch bark burns quite readily with a smokey flame, which is due to a turpentine like substance in the bark. Quite good as a fire starter, too bad that open fires are verboten in just about all wooded areas.
Silver birch bark is natures own zippo firelighter. Get some bits 4" x 4", or 6" by 6", they sort of roll up on their own and you can shove some smaller bits of the bark inside too. One, or two silver birch roll ups will get a fire going pretty damn quick.

If it was not the Russians then it was the Germans in WW2 who used to extract the "substance" from silver birch tree's and refine it to use as vehicle fuel.

Silver birch bark is natures own zippo firelighter. Get some bits 4" x 4", or 6" by 6", they sort of roll up on their own and you can shove some smaller bits of the bark inside too. One, or two silver birch roll ups will get a fire going pretty damn quick.
I have a 35 mm film canister in the car full of the stuff. Just in case.

I have a 35 mm film canister in the car full of the stuff. Just in case.
D'ya know, I was looking for some 35 mil film cannisters last month.........never used to be able to move without tripping over them and yet nowadays they are collectors items. I used to carry 4 in my webbing each containing a different meal enhancing substance: Salt, pepper, mixed herbs, chilli powder. Made some real shite taste somewhat better.

Is that similar to the PX ?
PX = Post Exchange (as in a US military post, not the envelope kind).

BX = Base Exchange.

Both the same thing really. Mainz Kassel was quite large being a collection of buildings with clothing, furniture, electronics, and most importantly the Rod & Gun Club sports store which was pretty large and production of a MOD90 allowed you to buy a gat and ammo.

The best approach for a days shopping was to do Mainz and then go to the Wiesbaden PX on the way back. Huge Debenhams like shopping hall, burger bar, cinema and a few NATO car dealers.

PX = Post Exchange (as in a US military post, not the envelope kind).

BX = Base Exchange.

Both the same thing really. Mainz Kassel was quite large being a collection of buildings with clothing, furniture, electronics, and most importantly the Rod & Gun Club sports store which was pretty large and production of a MOD90 allowed you to buy a gat and ammo.

The best approach for a days shopping was to do Mainz and then go to the Wiesbaden PX on the way back. Huge Debenhams like shopping hall, burger bar, cinema and a few NATO car dealers.
Yongsan in Seoul had a PX, Commisary, and Rod & Gun club in 1983-86. I can't remember there being a BX though. Never heard of it although I am not saying there wasn't one. It was a large garrison.

Thread Drift

Nah, the Nazi's tried that method to kill live Jews while experimenting with the methods for a perfect (Final) solution.

Who said that they weren't utter c*nts?

' .... On July 22nd 1942, the Nazis ordered the deportation to Eastern Poland and the Ukraine of all Jews irrespective of the age and sex. The daily quota of deportees was fixed at 6,000. Later this quota was increased to 10,000. Victims were dragged from their homes or seized in the streets in organised manhunts.

Jews were congregated in the squares. Old people and invalids were driven to cemeteries and shot in droves. Others were loaded into trucks, 150 persons being crowded into the space normally holding a maximum of 40. The trucks were then driven off. Hundreds died of suffocation.

This process is now going on continuously. The floors of the trucks are covered with a thick layer of lime and chlorine sprinkled with water. The doors are locked. Often the trains remain on a siding for a day or two or longer. The fumes of lime and chlorine, the lack of air, water and food, cause hundreds of deaths, with the result that dead and living remain packed side by side.

On arrival at their destination, 50% of the deportees were found dead. The remainder were taken to the special camps of Treblinka, Belzec and Selibor, where they were shot. Neither children nor babies were spared. By the end of September 1942, 250,000 Jews had been thus exterminated.

The deportations are described by the Nazis as “the re-settlement of the Jews”. The “re-settlement” is a final one in the sense that few, if any, of the “re-settled” Jews remain alive..... '

self heating would be quicker and easier, but surely you'll be wanting to boil up a brew from time to time, to keep the cold out?
Better to invest in a stove which can be used for brews and boil in the bag meals?
I have two MSR stoves (one uses almost any type of liquid fuel), as well as a Kelly Kettle - because it's beautiful.

The exact reason that I bought my Kelly kettle!

D'ya know, I was looking for some 35 mil film cannisters last month.........never used to be able to move without tripping over them and yet nowadays they are collectors items. I used to carry 4 in my webbing each containing a different meal enhancing substance: Salt, pepper, mixed herbs, chilli powder. Made some real shite taste somewhat better.
Me too. Also good for loose change in civvie street.

70/30 mix of salt and pepper in one canister and use the space saved for a bottle of Tabasco.

Latest Threads