Self heating meals?

The recent storm related power cuts made me think about these.Are they any good? Do they work? Any to avoid?

Cheaper and easier to have a small gas cooker

Some of the hot cans ( no idea what the real name was ) that I managed to beg / steal / borrow from the RUC were fairly decent.

No idea where the RUC got them from though.

I would imagine that they've become better than they were 30 years ago when I last tried them, so I'd be interested to read up to date opinions. In my car I make up a pack for the winter with food, drink and warm kit including a good sleeping bag, in case of breakdown. At the moment, I use a Trangia meths powered stove in my kit. Happy to give the self-heaters another try.

And what exactly is wrong with cold rice pudding?

Any outdoors shop will have them, but you might as well just store gas canisters and cook what you want on a camping stove

Being remote I do this for survival, got water supplies all around so keep lots of pasta, milk powder and tinned food around just incase

Self-heating meals or a flameless cooker system?

I've got one of these as well as the cup version:

You can either use food in a retort pouch or empty a can into the pan. Hot food in 10 minutes and it stays warm for a while due to the insulated shell. If time is of the essence, you can use it on the move.

I've found it very good but I bought mine and a load of heat packs when a supplier was going bust so the packs were "buy one, get three free".

I am ok with that.My wife is not.
re the Camping Gaz option - I was thinking self heating would be quicker and easier.
Seems like more homework is required.
self heating would be quicker and easier, but surely you'll be wanting to boil up a brew from time to time, to keep the cold out?
Better to invest in a stove which can be used for brews and boil in the bag meals?
I have two MSR stoves (one uses almost any type of liquid fuel), as well as a Kelly Kettle - because it's beautiful.

Last edited:
I would imagine that they've become better than they were 30 years ago when I last tried them, so I'd be interested to read up to date opinions. In my car I make up a pack for the winter with food, drink and warm kit including a good sleeping bag, in case of breakdown. At the moment, I use a Trangia meths powered stove in my kit. Happy to give the self-heaters another try.
I do the same however "for stock rotation" come spring the cans get eaten at work for lunch, use by dates would need to be good at those prices

Actingunpaid

Old-Salt
Some of the hot cans ( no idea what the real name was ) that I managed to beg / steal / borrow from the RUC were fairly decent.

No idea where the RUC got them from though.
Had a can of self-heating soup off them on a very cold January day-Burnt my mouth to hell!

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
A problem with flame less heaters is that the heating element can go "off". If you use them regularly and buy new replacements then that's OK. If they sit in a box just in case then there's a good chance they'll go out of date and not work when you need them. I have a sad interest in MREs from around the world. A fedd have had duff FRHs.

My kelly kettle is going in the car for tomorrow as I'm off on a small tour of England. (sunderland first then on to Sutton Bridge.)

complete with a few accessories

TheAssassin

War Hero
My kelly kettle is going in the car for tomorrow as I'm off on a small tour of England. (sunderland first then on to Sutton Bridge.)

Has electricity not arrived in Sunderland yet?

might get one for when the plauge hits town

BopBopBop

War Hero
Had a couple of hot cans in a remote rural OP with the police pre-1994.
Horizontal rain and -8 overnight.

Hot-ish sausage and beans at first light and some sort of stew at last light with chunks of bread was heaven compared to thrusters (cold burnt sausages) or reconstituted mutton crunch and curried munch.

Not much faffing around, just pierced the tin in the marked places and waited a couple of mins. with my racing spoon at the ready.

might get one for when the plauge hits town
took mine on two tours as it doesn't need gas (or degassing for flights) and used it on range days, med covers, family days out, and of course in case of emergencies in the car.

Latest Threads