Self harm and 'depression'?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by chl0nurse, Nov 1, 2015.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    I'm 17, currently doing my A-Levels in order to (hopefully!) become a student nurse. I turn 18 in January and looking into signing up for the reserves as a combat med technician whilst I finish at college. I think I'm pretty much a shoe-in for the army, except for one thing. I have a history of self-harm (ish) and depression. My dad committed suicide when I was pretty young and as a result of this I was referred to counselling. My mum took it upon herself to 'diagnose' me as depressed and I had this bereavement counselling up until I was about 14. I did hurt myself in this time, but not because I actually wanted to HURT myself, because it was a cool thing to do at the time. This obviously led my mother to believe that I was 'depressed' but really, I was just a bit of a show of to my friends who thought it was cool to be mentally ill and to have scars. I know that 2 or more deliberate episodes of self-harm automatically bar you from entry but is there a period of time in which these can be ignored? I'm worried that when I give my medical forms to my GP they'll fill in that I self-harmed though I don't really class it as that myself. Should I say I have no history since I don't consider it true self-harm? Should I mention it (it was a number of times) on my forms and try and explain? Should I try and convince my GP to explain or lie on the form?The army is the only thing I have wanted to do for a really long time. I also have a 1-year-old son and want to do what's best by him, and I think this career is what's best for both of us.

Thanks in advance.

2. I wouldn't recommend lying about it, and I certainly wouldn't recommend asking your GP to lie about it. Integrity is quite a big thing.

Have you considered going into the unit and speaking to the recruiting staff? If they know the detail ahead of time, and think you are a good egg, that is probably your most likely route to success.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Do not lie. It will be worse for you in the long run if you do. Best thing to do is to go in and have a chat with your local unit and see what they say.

4. ................NOT lying about your age in your profile might be a good start.........................

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Didn't realise I had, now can't change it. Ah well.

6. Why would you put anything in your profile?

• Like Like x 1
  7. i've just been accepted to rejoin the TA and i was depressed about 4 years ago but been clear for 2 years.

8. Hi Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Firstly you were very young when this happened, and what you did at that age was your only way of dealing with what happened. You will have been going through all sorts of emotions any way with teenage years ect

There's nothing wrong with counselling if it helped you.
    You seem to have pulled through this episode in your life and now have a young Son to take care of and you will have matured with this responsibility.

Personally I would never lie on a application form.

Pop down to speak to the recruitment officer at your local careers office and explain to them your situation and I'm sure they would offer you positive advise.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

But always remember your still very young and if your asked to wait a few years before re-applying, that's not a problem at your age.

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Rejoining should be enough to bring it on again!

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. No I think the Lad should be Ok, you go to think he was very young when he had depression - and to be hones I don't think there's a sole on the planet that hasn't down at some point in life.

You never know the Army could be his making.

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 3
  11. So much denial, self harming is never done because its a cool thing to do its either a manifestation of mental illness or attention seeking. Unless you accept which one refers to you, its highly likely to reoccur without you accepting help.

I would suggest that you defer joining the reserves till you can decide to accept your problems and deal with them.

Sorry if that's harsh

• Like Like x 2
  12. joining this site could be enough, that and being told 'you are a nutter, jog on'

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  13. Chubb?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nope-it's not sobbing, quietly.