Self employed going PAYE for ARMY

RandyLahey

Swinger
Hi, sorry to be annoying again.

Self employed builder going into infantry end of the month. All prepared with my kit list (nearly there) but its just some admin stuff that I’m worried about.

I don’t have an employer due to being self assessment in the CIS builder tax scheme so I won’t have a p45 to hand in to payroll. I’m thinking this won’t really matter an awful lot but does anyone here know a little more about that and almost happy to help?

Also as a side note if I can’t get ahold of a copy of my GCSE results in time for the end of the month does it really matter right away? Have been told to bring as much documentation as possible to Catterick but does not having certain documents somehow make me able to fail a counter terrorism check? Seems bonkers. I have my passport, birth certificate and documents with my NI on it and proof of address etc is that enough?

Thanks for taking the time to navigate my messy post. Hope I didn’t break any forum rules that I never really understand anyway. I suppose that’s why I’m going infantry.

Cheers.

For your GCSE results contact, better yet visit, your old school and ask them to do you a letter stating what you received. Be nice when you go to the school, it pays dividends - don't go in like you are on site, look smart, be polite and explain why you need their help. I had to do the same once with my old school over 30 years after I left as my certificates had gone walkabout, they were very helpful.

When I was self-employed in the UK my accountant sorted out everything to do with tax admin. You must have someone who does your books for you go have a chat with them, or go visit the local tax office.........should be nice and quiet this coming week, what with everyone hiding from corona virus.

Good luck with training, keep smiling no matter what they throw at you.

I have my passport, birth certificate and documents with my NI on it and proof of address etc is that enough?
I think these are the essential documents you need for any security checks. Evidence of GCSE results would only be essential if you were going for a job which required them for entrance, such as REME avionic tech, Royal Signals, Int Corp etc.

RandyLahey

Swinger
Alright thanks gents. May have to make that trip down to my old school then.

As far as tax goes I may call up depot and see what they say.

I was told there was a rule against anyone with "O" levels joining the Infantry (op "O" levels were like GCSEs on the old days).

Times must have changed.

Good luck mate, envy you starting off. It's brilliant, you're very lucky and you have made an excellent choice.

RandyLahey

Swinger
Thanks mate. I really do think it’s the right career for me. Managed to get all my school results today so that’s pretty awesome really. Going to provide as much documentation as poss.

All ready now and I’ve even got Exped dry bags so I won’t have wet kit in my daysack and bergen!

Buzzing!

Thanks mate. I really do think it’s the right career for me. Managed to get all my school results today so that’s pretty awesome really. Going to provide as much documentation as poss.

All ready now and I’ve even got Exped dry bags so I won’t have wet kit in my daysack and bergen!

Buzzing!
If it ain't rainin' it ain't trainin', skin's waterproof etc. etc....

Buzzing!
The good thing is that, unlike a lot of Infantry men you already have a good skill to fall back on if you decide you have had enough of the soldiering lark. You could also go back to civy street, earn lots of money, and continue serving in the Army Reserve. Something like 4 Para.

Probably going to be a lot of work for Brickies with the restrictions on East Europeans and the government purse strings being loosened for infrastructure purposes.

Buzzing!
Whats wrong with a black bin bag?

Good, glad you got your school results sorted.

The problem you may have with your tax is that you get thrown onto an emergency tax code for the remainder of the tax year until it gets sorted. Then you have the pain of a tax return to get back anything you are owed. Luckily though the new tax year starts 6th of April, 2020, so if you are in place before that date you should be ok for the next year.

The good thing is that, unlike a lot of Infantry men you already have a good skill to fall back on if you decide you have had enough of the soldiering lark. You could also go back to civy street, earn lots of money, and continue serving in the Army Reserve. Something like 4 Para.

Probably going to be a lot of work for Brickies with the restrictions on East Europeans and the government purse strings being loosened for infrastructure purposes.

Good point... when Afghanistan and Iraq and NATO Bsnia were on, lots of guys did 6 months site 6 months tour, saved loads, did zero Army except ops and missed winter on site.

Keep in mind after your first 3.

Whats wrong with a black bin bag?

Good, glad you got your school results sorted.

The problem you may have with your tax is that you get thrown onto an emergency tax code for the remainder of the tax year until it gets sorted. Then you have the pain of a tax return to get back anything you are owed. Luckily though the new tax year starts 6th of April, 2020, so if you are in place before that date you should be ok for the next year.

Buy pay bloke a curry.

Tax ponces will be two years in your past 2 years from now.

Minor detail. Future = beer money for doing cool stuff.

...suggest transfer to RE in a few years, helps your construction career enormously when you're 40.

Most Corps love an ex-infantier NCO.

Or did in the Musket years when l were in...

Latest Threads