Self DNA testing

Isn't that fraud?
If you know you are a non-insurable mutant then you are legally obliged to disclose it.
It's not if you don't know if you have it...it's a strange mutation that affects some and not others...and I doubt that this would be understood by underwriters. I only discovered I had it about 2 years ago after the sudden death of my brother. I am now on treatment at a cost to the NHS of £250,000 pa and will lead an otherwise normal life. For most people it is asymptomatic. As it is with my kids, but I doubt they could ever get life assurance; indeed, it might be difficult for them even to get a job.

A money making exercise in my view. The test just gives you some indication of your possible ethnic mix. Who cares? It should be the PEOPLE in your family tree that are important. Although the bloke on the TV looked pleased he was descended from Vikings - wonder how he'd have felt if it was pygmys? With my scientific hat on , I'd like to see to what standard the laboratory is accredited. I'll admit I'm not into family tree tracing anyway - I've enough trouble from the generations just above and just below me without wondering who in my family did what 200 years ago.

Last edited:
I used Scotland's DNA (sold on to MyDNA Global in 2015). They managed my father's side very well, and supplied a map showing proportions of my dna originating from several countries in Europe. It was very interesting, and I did get some surprises (Northern Europe obviously, but including Poland and Russia, plus Italy).
My mother's side was almost impossible for them, because Asian dna databases are not well developed, but in the end they managed something less detailed but still perfectly acceptable. That also contained some surprises, but mostly fitted in with what I knew of family history.
Wanting to know more about the Asian side, I did another expensive test with an American company that claimed to be the world leader in Asian dna. What came back was very general as regards regions. Basically it said my dna came from all over the world, and named every continent. A fool and his money are soon parted.
I shall wait a few years before following this line of enquiry again.

Check your kids first.

You could save a lot of money if you don't have to spent it on the missus any more.
Not allowed with out the mothers consent.
And to show the utter absurdity of the law, if you do have it done without her consent then even if it is 100% certain that you aint the dad - the evidence is deemed inadmissible and you have to keep paying.

Isn't that just wonderful.

Oh this is German law so YMMV

And to show the utter absurdity of the law, if you do have it done without her consent then even if it is 100% certain that you aint the dad - the evidence is deemed inadmissible and you have to keep paying.

"Fruit of the poisoned tree" - seems more apt than usual in this case.

I've not had it done myself but I had it done on my mongrel rescue dog when I first got him. £40 for the kit, a little excessive some might say but its £40 more than I would spend on most people and he can do no wrong and is worth it, he is a right handsome bastard and I was in intrigued as to what he was made up of.
Anyway the first test came back inconclusive, robbing bastards I thought but they did send me another kit.
Second test hit the nail on the head, the large amount of paperwork they sent me described him to a tee and went back generations.

I've not had it done myself but I had it done on my mongrel rescue dog when I first got him. £40 for the kit, a little excessive some might say but its £40 more than I would spend on most people and he can do no wrong and is worth it, he is a right handsome bastard and I was in intrigued as to what he was made up of.
Anyway the first test came back inconclusive, robbing bastards I thought but they did send me another kit.
Second test hit the nail on the head, the large amount of paperwork they sent me described him to a tee and went back generations.
Why?
Does it make any difference what sort of mongrel it is?

Weeellllllll....... The same rule doesn't apply in the Netherlands. You can get the kits online and send them the swabs. They will let you know within a week but although the result is something like 99.99% (Four nines) accurate, it is deemed advisory. You can't tell anyone you did it, but if it turns out the way you expected (Or didn't) you can raise a reasonable suspicion with your Anwalt who can get a Gerichtsbefehl on that basis, regardless of what the slut mother thinks. You may have to pay for it, but that EUR2500 will save you a fortune in the long run, especially if you know in advance that it will go your way.

Our son was in that position, but we didn't get a test from Holland. Oh no, not us; we would never do such a thing...ever. In fact I don't know anything about this sort of thing at all and made up all that stuff above.