Self defense options in the UK?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Ronin(GE), Jun 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having read this article ( BBC News - Salford burglar stabbed to death: Three arrested ) I got a question:

What is considered "resonable force" in the UK?
    Faced with 4 masked burglars, I would consider gutting one of them so the other (hopefully) get scared and bugger off, within the real of resonable.
    German law states that you are allowed to use the "...mildest possible force, that has a chance of success..."

Bring the burglary victims in on murder charges, C'mon...

Well, I hope for the they can plead on self defense!
  2. This is gone through at inordinate length in the thread on that topic.

3. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  4. What, dropping furniture on someone?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Once, someone looked at me funny so I snapped his neck.

Is this the sort of thing you mean?
  6. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Oh FFS... I have reproduced and explained the legal deffinition of Reasonable (with respect to the use of force) on that thread no less than 3 times.

If said definition was extended to apply to the hard of thinking and moronic the OP would be in for a kicking of biblical proportions.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah, I was going to go into the depths of legal precedent and the varying counter-arguments but if the OP hasn't even spotted the other thread, there's little chance of him understanding my long words.

So I'm going to lead the thread off on a tangent instead:

Last night in Chat we were discussing self defence, sort of. Is it OK to hit a woman back if she's hitting you? If it was a bloke hitting you, you wouldn't hesitate so why the squeamishness about defending yourself against an angry woman?
  8. I'm confused, I thought it was all fairly clear cut and part of common law, but when you catch someone looking at your pint, does that not still constitute grounds for unreasonable force?
  9. Hitting women is only permissible when spanking with a bare hand on the bare buttocks.
  10. Ronins defiinition of self defence in Germany is wrong, it equates roughly to English law, however there are differences. The law actually states "Notwehr ist die erforderliche Maßnahmen um einen rechtswidrigen und gegenwartigen Angriff von sich zu wehren". Interestingly under German law you may even use weapons that you posess illegaly, should the need arise. I wonder how that would work in Britain.
  11. I have never hit a woman in my life, but then, I have never been in a situation where I felt that I needed to.

I wouldn't dream of starting a physical attack on a woman and would probably just block and defend if she did, up to a point. If I was unable to calm her down or restrain her then she would probably be knocked out.

12. I rather like Italy's self defence laws.
  13. What are they? Raise hands, cover head and shout, "I surrender!" immediately?

14. For burglars, yes.
  15. Better than the French one - surrender and offer to help the burglar carry out your stuff to his van. Unless you have him at your mercy, in which case kill him, display his bones on the front of your house and hold a victory parade in your own honour.