Self Defence!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Nick78, Jul 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At the risk of being inundated with beautifuly abusive messages, I was wondering if anyone on the training forum could advise me with regard self defence classes. There seem to be so many to choose form, Judo, Karate, Shokotan??? etc etc. Does anyone here know the differences? Cheers guys, (trying so hard not to sound like a macho freak!)

2. All forms of martial art will have their uses. A lot depends upon how good the instructor is but personally I would reccomend Ju Jitsu (or something similar) which can be applied very effectively to the sort of situations you might face outside of the gym.

3. Silvester, thanks mate!

4. You should be able to get quite a lot of information about different styles of martial arts on web. Learn a bit about them, then try to decide what suits you.

For example, judo (not really a martial art, more a combat sport, like wrestling or boxing) is all grappling, with no punching or kicking.

Taekwondo (a Korean art) does a lot of high kicking - this might be your thing, or alternatively you might want a style that relies more on hands than on feet.

Do have a look at a few clubs before deciding which to join - a particular style might suit you on paper, but if you don't like the way classes are run, it'll be no good for you.

I've put a link in below to a martial arts discussion group. There's some useful info there, and if you register and post a query like you have here, you should get a helpful response.

http://www.tung-fu.com/

5. Try Krav maga!

It's the best form of self defense.

All the others are for comabt (ie a fair fight between two opponents), whereas Krav maga is designed purely to incapacitate your assailant as quickly and as efficiently as possible.

Krav maga

6. Try the traditional approach:

http://www.maisters.demon.co.uk/index.htm

Myself I would say boxing is probably the best form of self defence you can learn, its full contact with stamina training second to none, a better option than jap slapping.

7. ive tryed quite a few martial arts and i prefer kickboxing
    great fitness training and it actually workes in a fight unlike most arts

8. id agree with Ju Jitsu deffo, my mate got lets say got cheesed off with another mate n gave him a light tap jus below the throat i think it was, adn stopped him breathing for about 5 seconds he sh*t himself bigstyle

9. I am going to have to throw another suggestion into the dojo! Have you thought about doing Aikido? There are two types Traditional and Tomiki. In it's most simplistic explanation Traditional is more arty farty with co-ordinated moves, big black floaty flares and some huge sticks! And Tomiki is more reactive, whereby you actually learn to counter different suprise attacks (either with or without a plastic knife coming towards you) and can be applied (if needed!) in the real world. There are no kicks or punches in Aikido, it's more about using your opponents balance and speed against them in a variety of holds and throws. Plus you'll get to learn Aikido break rolls! And they're always amuzing to do when tiddled (or so I have heard!!) :roll: :lol: Britain are actually quite hot at Tomiki Aikido!

10. Chinese boxing or conventional boxing is a very good ‘form’ to practice.

I’d strongly recommend that you consider what you want to achieve - since some forms are more beneficial than others.

Many martial arts are badly taught – often in large classes that promote ‘mimicry’ rather than understanding of the subject

Many people will tell you of ‘so-called martial arts’ experts being flattened by a decent bar-room punch…. and I’d strongly recommend that you get one-on-one tuition if you wish to learn a martial art properly.

Without personal tuition, you will never learn properly.

Secondly, many ‘pseudo’ martial arts experts askew the actual idea of physical contact and prevaricate about the ‘need to avoid fighting’ etc etc. Being the case, many students and tutors have never actually been hit properly and it comes of quite a shock when they do! ( Our society reinforces this attitude and you'll hear allot of so-called experts preaching this non-viloence credo)

Choose your ‘form’ based on extensive research since allot of Chinese and Japanese styles are based on mystical mumbo-jumbo, bullshit and nonsense.

It is created to attract students ……and you shouldn’t put up with any “I’ll tell you the Secret on my Deathbed” old boll.cks.

By all means study zero-contact or partial-contact forms – but then do so understanding your limitations. You'll become fit and healthy. You will not become proficient at fighting.

I believe that martial arts include a substantial amount of ‘spirituality’ – such that you begin to understand yourself both physically and emotionally.

In order to do this you must understand that without actually being forced to fight an opponent (who wants to kick your head in), you can’t begin to understand A; how you’ll react in a real fight and B; why the finer/subtle parts of martial arts are important (eg range,balance,grounding etc..).

Its not enought to discuss these aspects - you need to experience them first hand.

This said, choose a trust worthy and honest tutor. Many go off on 'power-trips' .....and I've often watched a demonstration where a tutor beats the living daylights out a student just to show what a big man he is.....

The best martial arts are the simplest...and dont get sucked into the "ninja cagefighting 'Bruce-Lee did it this way' show-me-you-nunchucks?" old poney.

Its a waste of your money and you learn shite.

11. The problem with any martial art, is that they are a stylized form of fighting, and they all incorporate varying degrees of ritual mumbo-jumbo which will not help you in a real confrontation. Many styles, such as kick-boxing, are fine when practised barefoot, in a gym, with plenty of space for manuevre, but try a roundhouse kick in a pub toilet or car-park, and you'll probably come a cropper.
    Many years ago, I attended a week long course in hand-to-hand combat, with the now defunct "Dartmoor survival & safety school"
    The instructor, Mike Rose, had a background in the Parachute Regiment, the FFL and the SAS. The techniques he taught are extremely simple, brutal and effective. In twenty years, I've only had to use them a handful of times, but always successfully.
    My advice is to check out someone like "Stirling Services" as I'm fairly sure that they will be able to show you how to beat a silverback to a bloody pulp in a nano-second 8O :wink:

12. Sandy I'm pretty sure that he would have taught you a watered down version of Aikido. My instructor is ex para and he says it is what is taught to the guys for hand to hand combat in real life situations.

13. Yeh could be Flower, what I will say, is that he had an almost unhealthy obsession with literally tearing off parts of the assailants body ie: nose, ears and boll*x 8O It tends to take the wind out of their sails. :lol: