Self assessment (Tax doesnt have to be taxing)

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by gunit, Oct 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a member of HM Forces can you do a self assessment online? Does anyone do theirs online.

Cheers

2. it generally is

3. I do mine online; it takes a while to set up as you have to get a government gateway number etc and don't underestimate how long it will take to find all the info. I am considering paying to get it done this year as I am told by others in a similar situation (rental property) that they are get rebates.

4. Correct. Start NOW if you intend to file by end Jan 09.

Litotes

5. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Quick question on the tax return as I am trying to make my way through it all.

I have one property which is my primary residence. It is let out as I am in a SFA. Blue forces (my property management company) have given me a page with the boxes that need to be filled in on the tax return for the property.

Apart from this I have no other property. I also have my military salary and my wife has her salary. Are there any major pit falls or hurdles I have to avoid whilst trying to fill in the paperwork for the first time.

Do I actually need to fill out a tax return as this is my primary residence and the rent I received this year was about £2000 however my mortgage repayments were about £8500.

Also are there any little things I may not be aware of that I should be able to claim.

Many thanks

Sammi