Self assessment (Tax doesnt have to be taxing)

I do mine online; it takes a while to set up as you have to get a government gateway number etc and don't underestimate how long it will take to find all the info. I am considering paying to get it done this year as I am told by others in a similar situation (rental property) that they are get rebates.

scots_wahey said:
I do mine online; it takes a while to set up as you have to get a government gateway number etc and don't underestimate how long it will take to find all the info. I am considering paying to get it done this year as I am told by others in a similar situation (rental property) that they are get rebates.
Correct. Start NOW if you intend to file by end Jan 09.

Litotes

Quick question on the tax return as I am trying to make my way through it all.

I have one property which is my primary residence. It is let out as I am in a SFA. Blue forces (my property management company) have given me a page with the boxes that need to be filled in on the tax return for the property.

Apart from this I have no other property. I also have my military salary and my wife has her salary. Are there any major pit falls or hurdles I have to avoid whilst trying to fill in the paperwork for the first time.

Do I actually need to fill out a tax return as this is my primary residence and the rent I received this year was about £2000 however my mortgage repayments were about £8500.

Also are there any little things I may not be aware of that I should be able to claim.

Many thanks

Sammi

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
chemystery Army Reserve 0