Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Self assessment tax code ????

Hi there,

Im about to take on my self assessment (first time on my own) I have my gateway id and password all set. But I’m struggling with what I am supposed to put in for my tax code. I can’t find any previous paper work with it on (I know before you say. Bad admin) I’m wondering is there a generic one or is unit specific? Can anyone please enlighten me or direct me to such info. If it helps I’m currently in the 2nd battalion parachute regiment. I have transferred over from the signals in the last year or so if that makes any difference. And help is much appreciated.
Thank you

Donny

ADC
It’s on your payslip and the P60 you received in Apr/May, but I can’t think of anything in the online PAYE process that needs you to type it in anyway. HMRC already knows it since they produced it in the first place.

corby

Old-Salt
Just a side note, I had to call HM Revenue a couple of weeks ago as I cocked up my online tax return. I was expecting a right PITA especially in the current climate. Surprisingly, I got through to actually speak to someone and issue solved all within 10 minutes. Fair play to them.

RedDinger

Old-Salt
Hi there,

Im about to take on my self assessment (first time on my own) I have my gateway id and password all set. But I’m struggling with what I am supposed to put in for my tax code. I can’t find any previous paper work with it on (I know before you say. Bad admin) I’m wondering is there a generic one or is unit specific? Can anyone please enlighten me or direct me to such info. If it helps I’m currently in the 2nd battalion parachute regiment. I have transferred over from the signals in the last year or so if that makes any difference. And help is much appreciated.
Thank you
You can use the Gateway ID to check your tax online, including your tax code.

Income Tax site link

For the last five years I have done my Self Assessments on-line and last year I did it (but omitted, it seems, to hit 'Submit'). So in April received a late filing notice and appealed (and lost) and paid £100 fine. I thought that it was odd that I hadn't hit 'submit' but I rang up HMRC (who are helpful) and they talked me through it and made sure I hit the Submit key.

Fast forward to last Friday and I received in the post a 'Late Payment Penalty Notice for FY 18/19'. I rang HMRC again (long wait, but a very helpful voice at the end) and she said that I hadn't submitted my 18/19 return. I logged on and she talked me through it again and (again) I hid 'submit'. Now I have been through a lot over the last year (haven't we all?) but to take three attempts to submit my SA return that I have successfully submitted in previous years does seem odd. The woman could see from their records that I had talked it through with her colleagues in May and helpfully suggested that I should appeal, on the basis of being an IT mong. FWIW, I am actually owed a refund for 18/19.

Has anyone else experienced 'user' difficulties with the SA site?

@Filthy_contract,
I have not had any issues with submitting my online self assessments myself.
Did you get a confirmation email from hmrc to say it had been submitted?
Just checked my emails and I have one titled "Successful Receipt of Online Submission for Reference ########" which confirms that my assessment was submitted.
If you have the same, it is HMRC's problem (though they would probably still argue the toss).
When you complete a return, before submitting it, you are given the option to download a copy (in .pdf format I think), did you get a copy?

If so, could you send a copy to HMRC as part of your appeal?

You've probably already looked but you may be able to go to a Tax Tribunal (Alternative Dispute Resolution is out) Disagree with a tax decision

@Filthy_contract,
I have not had any issues with submitting my online self assessments myself.
Did you get a confirmation email from hmrc to say it had been submitted?
Just checked my emails and I have one titled "Successful Receipt of Online Submission for Reference ########" which confirms that my assessment was submitted.
If you have the same, it is HMRC's problem (though they would probably still argue the toss).
When you complete a return, before submitting it, you are given the option to download a copy (in .pdf format I think), did you get a copy?

If so, could you send a copy to HMRC as part of your appeal?

You've probably already looked but you may be able to go to a Tax Tribunal (Alternative Dispute Resolution is out) Disagree with a tax decision
I've had a look in my emails and no, I can't find the Receipt as you describe (but I did for today). It just strikes me odd that I should fail to hit Submit on two previous occasions, even after being walked through it in May. At least HMRC have two records of me trying to submit it with their help, so I can demonstrate due diligence, especially as I am owed a refund.

I've had a look in my emails and no, I can't find the Receipt as you describe (but I did for today). It just strikes me odd that I should fail to hit Submit on two previous occasions, even after being walked through it in May. At least HMRC have two records of me trying to submit it with their help, so I can demonstrate due diligence, especially as I am owed a refund.
Could it be an ad or pop up blocker (some browsers have them built in). I'm sure you can do paper forms for self assessment, would be worth doing it that way in the future.

I've got a tax code 57T on my pay statement, anyone know what this means? I have earnings from the Home Office, the AR and my mil pension plus an income from a second property, if that helps.

I've got a tax code 57T on my pay statement, anyone know what this means? I have earnings from the Home Office, the AR and my mil pension plus an income from a second property, if that helps.

Means they want to talk to you/review your current code at the end of the year (possible previous underpayment for example)

Latest Threads