Self Assessment Letter

sand_rat

Old-Salt
Been doing SA for years now and no real terrors, but letter arrived today saying no more paper, you have to go on line and do it that way- which does raise a few terrors.
So anyone with experience of it, and any pointers, or am I over reacting and its all a piece of the proverbial.
Ta in anticipation.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm assuming this is a self assessed tax return. I did the online version for 10 years and found it easy to use as long as you have a folder with all your relevant paperwork you need to input.

sand_rat

Old-Salt
Yes the dreaded 'relevant paperwork', well with lockdown at least Ive got time on my side, cheers.

@sand_rat,

Online self assessment uses the same structure as on paper.
As @Daxx says, just have all relevant paperwork to hand when you start.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
You'll need a gov gateway account, but after that it's pretty straightforward. Just be better than me and don't leave until the last safe moment to complete, having drunk too much wine :)

@sand_rat,

Online self assessment uses the same structure as on paper.
As @Daxx says, just have all relevant paperwork to hand when you start.
With the added bonus that if you get to a section you don't understand or want clarrification on, a simple click will bring up the relevant information. Having done both the paper and the digital tax returns, I can say thet the digital version is easier.

The digital one is easier but if for any reason you can't get into the system then it isn't their fault and any delays or problems are entirely yours and you'll be penalised for them.
Getting your account fixed can take a couple of weeks.

one bonus is you can start entering it, then if you realise you need more info, you can park it up and come back to it later.

Apart from that, it's just the same*.

*ghastly

online is definitely easier - more information available section by section and still the telephone if you get really stuck.

Honestly, I was wary but it has reduced the stress levels and time taken massively in reality.

skeetstar

Old-Salt
On line, dead easy, easier than paper in my view. It really is no hassle at all,once you have the I'd and password. The software is really easy to use, there are loads of help screens, and you can print out a summary at the end. Also you get an acknowledgement, so proof that you have submitted..

skeetstar

Old-Salt
Edit, I've just read all the other responses and found that I have added no value whatsoever, never mind I'll have a glass of wine and contemplate my utter superfluous ness.

philc

LE
And what if you don’t have home access to a computer, just being bloodyminded but I do mine via the form, and that’s the way I wish to stay. They can’t force you to complete online.

And what if you don’t have home access to a computer, just being bloodyminded but I do mine via the form, and that’s the way I wish to stay. They can’t force you to complete online.
While supporting your position, I suspect they probably can. Although I hadn't heard anything about it going online only.

sand_rat

Old-Salt
You'll need a gov gateway account, but after that it's pretty straightforward. Just be better than me and don't leave until the last safe moment to complete, having drunk too much wine :)
I already have gov gateway acct, now just waiting for an access code (7 days) and will be on paper . . .

sand_rat

Old-Salt
While supporting your position, I suspect they probably can. Although I hadn't heard anything about it going online only.
Well unless theyre picking on me (and I doubt it) if you do SA then expect the letter on your door mat soon.

I also thought about the 'what if I dont have access to the interwebby', well Im in my 60's and can manage with it and I'm sure they would say, bite the bullet and get a child/grandchild/great grandchild to do it for you.
Thanks for all the comments.

It's just the way the world is going mate.
I have to complete a UK one for being a UK tax-resident, where my pensions come from.
Also a French one for living in France, and at two completely different times of the year.
Everything official is going online, apparently in Denmark you can't get a doctors or hospital appointment without booking it online first, or getting your neighbour to do it for you.
With reference to HMRC in the UK, do make sure that you save all the messages that you get in reply to any questions or queries in a separate file.
(They get deleted from the HMRC site after a period of time automatically)
It is not unusual to get contradictory answers to the same questions (in fcuking text spk) as though it was a 12 year old self-styled 'tax technician' answering important questions.
Normally giving an answer to a completely different question that you haven't asked and not answering the question you have asked.
Knobbers.

I have to do a SA this year, it’s not much, just for two talks which took me over the £1000 threshold.

I have invoices for each talk, what other paperwork do I need to produce?

Donny

ADC
I have to do a SA this year, it’s not much, just for two talks which took me over the £1000 threshold.

For the self-assessment I don’t remember that you need to submit any additional paperwork. You just need it to fill in the boxes with correct info, and you obviously need to be able to submit it later if audited (which hasn’t happened to me so far).

None as far as a layman like me can see mate.
Pensions are taxed at source, the banks grass you up to them and takes tax from any (laughable) interest at source.
No doubt you incurred travelling and other expenses for those two though.
Which may well exceed any 20% or 40% liability.
Fill the relevant amounts in the relevant boxes online.
Just keep the paperwork in case, but I think it is a fair guess that todays HMRC has performance indicators and target thresholds well above your fees involved.
There is a minimum amount involved for them to to even start to initiate any investigation and £1000 would not seem to be it.
Register and get on a few accountancy open source sites, they will tell you more and for free.

Just be prepared to be bored!

theinventor

Old-Salt
Complaining on an online forum that you have to do something online...

None as far as a layman like me can see mate.
Pensions are taxed at source, the banks grass you up to them and takes tax from any (laughable) interest at source.
No doubt you incurred travelling and other expenses for those two though.
Which may well exceed any 20% or 40% liability.
Fill the relevant amounts in the relevant boxes online.
Just keep the paperwork in case, but I think it is a fair guess that todays HMRC has performance indicators and target thresholds well above your fees involved.
There is a minimum amount involved for them to to even start to initiate any investigation and £1000 would not seem to be it.
Register and get on a few accountancy open source sites, they will tell you more and for free.

Just be prepared to be bored!
It‘s only two invoices for £900 each, I’m not on the speaker circuit per se, so don’t have to pay for my own transport, hotels and other deductible expenses that I then have to faff about with when completing the SA. I don’t even set the rate, it’s all arranged by a production company, but im not employed by them.

Latest Threads