Selective medal/ribbon wearing

As to hats, it’s proportions look similar to the previous hats. I think it’s the “crusher” look that makes it look taller.
Army Green Service Uniform (AGSU) Dress Cap

1659467621079.png

1659467837488.jpeg

This was mentioned on another thread, but out of the two medals I was awarded, I only ever wore one - the 1962 GSM with NI clasp. Yes, I know I should have had the LSGC up with it when awarded, but I felt the only one that mattered was the GSM as it reflected operational tours and I remembered some colleagues who didn't come home by it.

When I first joined, the LSGC was awarded at the 18 year point of service, later lowered to 15. Where I was in the early 70's, someone being awarded the LSGC as a Corporal or below wasn't regarded as a positive thing and I took that on board. Having served in two services, and starting from scratch in the second, my LSGC came through at what was counted as my 15 year point. Although a Sergeant when presented, it has Corporal on the rim.

At the time I declined to wear it, medals weren't so bountiful as they are nowadays, so it wasn't picked up and didn't look out of place by not being there. "Gizzit medals" for time served have never done much for me so it's probably a good job I haven't served in more recent times. By comparison, I feel my GSM was actually "earned" through my NI tours.

Just a personal view, and I don't knock anyone else who wears all the medals they have been awarded and are entitled to wear.

This was mentioned on another thread, but out of the two medals I was awarded, I only ever wore one - the 1962 GSM with NI clasp. Yes, I know I should have had the LSGC up with it when awarded, but I felt the only one that mattered was the GSM as it reflected operational tours and I remembered some colleagues who didn't come home by it.

When I first joined, the LSGC was awarded at the 18 year point of service, later lowered to 15. Where I was in the early 70's, someone being awarded the LSGC as a Corporal or below wasn't regarded as a positive thing and I took that on board. Having served in two services, and starting from scratch in the second, my LSGC came through at what was counted as my 15 year point. Although a Sergeant when presented, it has Corporal on the rim.

At the time I declined to wear it, medals weren't so bountiful as they are nowadays, so it wasn't picked up and didn't look out of place by not being there. "Gizzit medals" for time served have never done much for me so it's probably a good job I haven't served in more recent times. By comparison, I feel my GSM was actually "earned" through my NI tours.

Just a personal view, and I don't knock anyone else who wears all the medals they have been awarded and are entitled to wear.
Of my gongs, the one I am most proud of is my GSM.

Correct. There is no regimental system in the US Army so you’re usually serving with strangers - your ribbons serve as your resume.
We have a Regimental System that isn't very regimented, but some Regiments that are very Regimental.

And, the CV bit is really no different from our cousins' collection of decorations/awards and campaign medals in descending order of precedence, with exceptions that we have a National Defense Service Medal and 4 status ribbons, in the case of the US Army (more in the other branches). The ribbon only awards are never worn with the medals, and are basically tacked on the bottom of the ribbon rack, but ahead of any foreign awards.

Those ribbons are:
The NCO Professional Development Ribbon, with numeral showing the level of NCO school completed (as if stripes don't do this already);
The Army Service Ribbon (showing graduation from Initial Entry Training, only one to a customer);
The Army Overseas Service Ribbon, with numeral added for each normal tour of Overseas duty;
The Army Sea Duty Ribbon, for those that spend a tour on a boat. Yeah, we have boats.

The Army Reserve adds one more ribbon only device to the list, known as the Army Reserve Overseas Training Ribbon. Yeah, we sent the part-timers somewhere besides the backyard for training ex.

Those ribbons were added in the 80s back when we had Cold War Sergeant Majors retiring with 3-6 awards and medals. I knew one SGM that retired from the 82nd in the early 70s who had awards of the Bronze Star, the Army Commendation Medal (2 OLC), and the Good Conduct Medal (2 Silver Knots) with the NDSM, the AOM, and the UN Medal. Impressive collection of awards for his time, but not a very readable CV. He got his UN Medal (Korea) as a new private in Japan at the end of that period, so had no other associated campaign medals. He picked up the AOM closer to the end of his Army career when he was the SGM of the Pershing Missile site guards. All the rest of his time was in the 82nd.

My own rack is an impossible read for completely different reasons, unless I split it up. RA, NG, and Army Civ awards combined are very confusing for most people to look at, throw all of them together with the qual badges and Idi Amin would be giving me the side eye.