Selection

#1
Hey people,

I'm an Officer considering going on selection for "Them". I do not want to join them as an Officer as I have been told that you can only do three years before you get RTU'd.

Instead, I'd like to join as a Trooper so I can stay in for the long haul (assuming I actually pass selection!). Does anyone on here know if I'd actually be allowed to drop my comission and join as a Trooper, or would I only be able to join as an Officer?

I've asked around a bit but nobody seems to know if this is possible or not - either that or they just aren't telling me. I've only heard the odd rumour here and there and I'm not sure if its bullshit or not, so if anyone could shed some light on this for me, I'd be very greatful.

Thanks
 
#2
If you drop your commision what would you be?

You aren't an Infantryman by default, so you'd be an untrained bod.

In other words, this is the biggest load of cobblers EVER! Fact.

Join as an officer it flicks your switch.
 
#3
CptKill,

WTF do they teach you at Sandhurst nowadays? If you think that asking that sort of question on here will get you anything other than abuse, you are mistaken. If you don't have the gumption to find the right person to ask, maybe its not for you.

Shiny.
 
#5
this seems an incredibly stupid post from a so called commissioned officer...not least because nobody above the rank of cadet Lcpl refers the the SAS as 'them'; their correct unit nomenclature is SAS using anything else makes you sound like a dick, or TA.

if you are TA once badged you can stay with your TA SAS(R) regiment for almost all of your career.

if you are regular, IIRC there is a reference in QRs that states something along the lines of resigning your commission preventing you from serving as a soldier...although i know somebody that did it albeit a circuitous route(andi think i've heard a dit of somebody else doing it to although can't confirm validiity). He left regular army, joined the SAS(R) some years later then re-did selection and transferred to 22.

however, you can't apply to do selection as a Tpr if you are commissioned. fact
 
#6
having just re-read your post i assume that actually you have no connection to the military at all. 2 reasons:

1. your username Cpt is an american term not used in anypart of the british military system, not event the RAF
2. "dropping your commission" - a nonsensical term. anybody serving knows the correct terminology is to resign ones commission.
 

Forastero

LE
Moderator
#9
Ordinarily, I'd hoop this but I'll let it run for a little while due to mild curiosity.
 

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
#10
But, if he ever managed to become one of Them, via some sort of Walt method, would he refer to Them as Us?
 
#12
Join as a Tropper.

Though on a cold winter's night in........................

I think you know the rest. :wink:
 
#17
auscam said:
spike7451 said:
ancienturion said:
But, if he ever managed to become one of Them, via some sort of Walt method, would he refer to Them as Us?
Was'nt the a song by Pink Floyd about 'Them'?..."Us & Them"
What about 'Any Colour You Like'?
The Boathouse Committee won't stand for that.
 
#18
mistersoft said:
auscam said:
spike7451 said:
ancienturion said:
But, if he ever managed to become one of Them, via some sort of Walt method, would he refer to Them as Us?
Was'nt the a song by Pink Floyd about 'Them'?..."Us & Them"
What about 'Any Colour You Like'?
The Boathouse Committee won't stand for that.
I thought of adding a Boathouse reference, but...well...OPSEC, you see. Shhh, can't say too much...Oh fuck, I just dropped my commission!
 
#19
auscam said:
mistersoft said:
auscam said:
spike7451 said:
ancienturion said:
But, if he ever managed to become one of Them, via some sort of Walt method, would he refer to Them as Us?
Was'nt the a song by Pink Floyd about 'Them'?..."Us & Them"
What about 'Any Colour You Like'?
The Boathouse Committee won't stand for that.
I thought of adding a Boathouse reference, but...well...OPSEC, you see. Shhh, can't say too much...Oh fuck, I just dropped my commission!
How unfortunate. Just as I've been upgraded to Sergeant.
 
#20
mistersoft said:
auscam said:
mistersoft said:
auscam said:
spike7451 said:
ancienturion said:
But, if he ever managed to become one of Them, via some sort of Walt method, would he refer to Them as Us?
Was'nt the a song by Pink Floyd about 'Them'?..."Us & Them"
What about 'Any Colour You Like'?
The Boathouse Committee won't stand for that.
I thought of adding a Boathouse reference, but...well...OPSEC, you see. Shhh, can't say too much...Oh fuck, I just dropped my commission!
How unfortunate. Just as I've been upgraded to Sergeant.
Why, did you get shot? Bit dusty in here.
 

Latest Threads