Selection

Hi All,

Brand new to the forums so first post here...I'm in the process of joining my local troop and have just found out that I am going to selection this weekend.

I have read heaps about it and know the basics of what to bring etc; but does anyone have any tips, stuff to watch out for, pitfalls, common mistakes, etc?

Thanks in advance

yeah,chill the **** out,im guessing you will either be going to grantham or wizzbech.just so you know,you cant fail,i got 14:30 on my run as i had to do it in jeans as i borrowed my stepdads running trousers which were waaaay to short.you start off at about 10am,have a brief,split of into 3 groups,go into huts and do your icebreaker while another group does the pullups,backtest,lift test and jerry can run and the final group does leadership then you have a break for lunch,get to check out the fit blonde at the payd then you have another brief about the army and then you do the 1.5 mile run,then you all get your certificates and go home :)

Quick tip, stick another L in your username. :)

ah yeah they will be,on my selection we had a couple of huge cpls and a sgt that looked like a dinnerlady,you could tell the cpls wanted to scream at us because they kept having to restrain themselves during the fitness tests.but i think the sgt was just to make the army seem kind and furry

Advice? Shut your mouth and open your ears.

No problem.
Welcome to the Corps and good luck.

Pheidippides said:
Hi All,

Brand new to the forums so first post here...I'm in the process of joining my local Signaler troop (31 Signal Regiment, 41 Princess Louise's Kensington) and have just found out that I am going to selection this weekend.

I have read heaps about it and know the basics of what to bring etc; but does anyone have any tips, stuff to watch out for, pitfalls, common mistakes, etc?

Thanks in advance
You will need to bring the following:

Weather appropriate clothing.
Spare sock/underwear.
Sports kit - Running trainers (not down the pub ones), shorts, sweatshirt.
Washing and shaving kit/towel (you WILL have to wash AND shave)
Note book and pen/pencil.
A GOOD ATTITUDE.

No need for sleeping bags, knife/fork/spoon/mug.

You will be issued:
Numbered bib
Coveralls
Numbered helmet
Clip board
Bed space and bedding

Food/drink is supplied in the mess hall (no charge). Water and a fizzy pop machine are in reception.

DO NOT BRING:
Offensive weapons
Alcohol
Drugs (any type)

You will complete the following activities:
Reception
Safety brief
OC's opening address
Icebreaker
BARB
Military skills lesson
Physical Selection Standards (Recruits)
Risk Reduction Run (2.4km in 14 minutes or less)
TA terms and conditions of service presentation
Practical military skills test
Team Tasks
Written military skills test
Validation
OC's closing address

Remember to treat it all as an extended job interview (in essence that is what it is) and do your best at each activity. You will not be told the result until your next training evening, where your written report will be waiting for you along with an interview from one of your units officers.

The possible out comes of recruit selection are:

Pass - get loaded onto Ph1 training
Fail - do not join the Army
Deferment - not quite made the standard for some reason, however, we feel you would benefit from another attempt at selection

Any other questions?

Blimey, nothing like my selection weekend two years ago. Friday night was the written tests then we went to the bar with the DS, sat am was medicals, sat PM was kit issue, think we might have had a couple of powerpoint things as well then down to the bar again. Sunday morning was PFT then we got into our uniforms and did some drill then we were attested and then we went home!

I guess thats the joys of nationally recruited TA!!

scaleyback88 said:
yeah,chill the * out,im guessing you will either be going to grantham or wizzbech.just so you know,you cant fail,i got 14:30 on my run as i had to do it in jeans as i borrowed my stepdads running trousers which were waaaay to short.you start off at about 10am,have a brief,split of into 3 groups,go into huts and do your icebreaker while another group does the pullups,backtest,lift test and jerry can run and the final group does leadership then you have a break for lunch,get to check out the fit blonde at the payd then you have another brief about the army and then you do the 1.5 mile run,then you all get your certificates and go home :)
Be aware that posting mis information like this can give potential recruits the wrong idea.

There are a number of ADSC/selection centres around the UK. MOST will either:

PASS
FAIL
DEFER

To go along with the attitude 'who gives an eff, I'm gonna pass anyhoo' will earn you a swift FAIL with me.

fallingplate said:
scaleyback88 said:
yeah,chill the * out,im guessing you will either be going to grantham or wizzbech.just so you know,you cant fail,i got 14:30 on my run as i had to do it in jeans as i borrowed my stepdads running trousers which were waaaay to short.you start off at about 10am,have a brief,split of into 3 groups,go into huts and do your icebreaker while another group does the pullups,backtest,lift test and jerry can run and the final group does leadership then you have a break for lunch,get to check out the fit blonde at the payd then you have another brief about the army and then you do the 1.5 mile run,then you all get your certificates and go home :)
Be aware that posting mis information like this can give potential recruits the wrong idea.

There are a number of ADSC/selection centres around the UK. MOST will either:

PASS
FAIL
DEFER

To go along with the attitude 'who gives an eff, I'm gonna pass anyhoo' will earn you a swift FAIL with me.
what happened to the written tests like Rockhopperst4 mentioned and the early starts??

Has it changed much within the last 10 years fallingplate or did scaleyback88 get a easy ride? I don't recall my selection weekend to be like this, but there again i can't recall power point...

Fallingplate can you give us an idea of just how many people do fail selection weekends and the areas in which they fail. It might give some people a bit of a wake up call? If you turn up at selection, basic or at any other time with the 'i will do attitude' and a time of 14:30 you are just gona look a complete prick and will just attract attention to yourself. :roll:

But I might be wrong, just my opinion.

edditted to add:

everyone else, including me has added their opinions
whilse you notice falling plate has just provided you with the facts, read carefully and then read again and again... also notice his comment You will need to bring: 'A GOOD ATTITUDE'

I speak with authority as to content on a recruit selection weekend with 145Bde at ADSC (P).

We have around an 80% pass rate. Most failures are to do with lack of fitness, immaturity and bad attitude.

I cannot give you an exact answer to your question as every situation has its own merits and pitfalls. However, as an example if a PR fails the RRR by a small amount and performs well in every other area we may defer that PR for another try when they have worked on their fitness.

I stress we MAY defer people, it is at our discretion taking all factors of the PR's performance into account.

Not to hijack the thread by any means but I have a quick question.
I have a slight groin strain from 3 weeks ago (it was from running 400's annoyingly enough). It is getting better but I have not been running (I have not been a lazy fecker however, I just haven't been able to run). I know that I can finish the 1.5 miler in less then the given limit if I took it easy on the run, however I am not sure if this would be acceptable (best effort required). If I run as fast as I can, I would get sub 9 minutes, however I would probably have to stop mid way through with a major strain and most likely not be completely healed for phase 1 (should I pass other selection criteria).

I don't want to defer because that will put back my selection by a few months. Would taking the selection with an injury be acceptable? I'm inclined to turn up and do as well as I can and just see what happens with it. However if something does get pulled it would seem I have been dishonest.

It will hopefully be ok by then, but hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Many thanks
Ian

edit- sorry, I forgot to mention it's not this weekend but next.

Ian1983 said:
I have a slight groin strain from 3 weeks ago (it was from running 400's annoyingly enough). It is getting better but I have not been running (I have not been a lazy fecker however, I just haven't been able to run). I know that I can finish the 1.5 miler in less then the given limit if I took it easy on the run, however I am not sure if this would be acceptable (best effort required). If I run as fast as I can, I would get sub 9 minutes, however I would probably have to stop mid way through with a major strain and most likely not be completely healed for phase 1 (should I pass other selection criteria).

I don't want to defer because that will put back my selection by a few months. Would taking the selection with an injury be acceptable? I'm inclined to turn up and do as well as I can and just see what happens with it. However if something does get pulled it would seem I have been dishonest.

Many thanks
Ian

I would suggest you do not attend selection until fully fit, they are run every month so there is no rush.

Bearing in mind your injury, not only would you have to complete the RRR, you would also undergo PSS(R), this involves a dynamic lift, Static lift, back extension, heaves and a 150m jerry can carry (x2 jerry cans at 20kg each).

None of these will do your injury any good and your results will probably not reflect your ability.

Seek advice from your PCT and attend selection when you are well again.

If you attend with an injury, no extra leaway is given and someone will question you as to why you have attended with an injury!

fallingplate said:
Ian1983 said:

Many thanks
Ian

I would suggest you do not attend selection until fully fit, they are run every month so there is no rush.

Bearing in mind your injury, not only would you have to complete the RRR, you would also undergo PSS(R), this involves a dynamic lift, Static lift, back extension, heaves and a 150m jerry can carry (x2 jerry cans at 20kg each).

None of these will do your injury any good and your results will probably not reflect your ability.

Seek advice from your PCT and attend selection when you are well again.

If you attend with an injury, no extra leaway is given and someone will question you as to why you have attended with an injury!
Ah....I see.
I did not expect any leaway, but I understand what you mean.

I have to go to my potential regiments TA centre the wednesday before. Would it be taking the p*ss if I waited until then to let them know. I'm hoping it may well be workable by then (I will test it with a light run on tuesday. If it's a no go I will not go and let the regiment know, but would leaving it so late be highly looked down upon. If it was the shoe on the other foot I would probably be quite annoyed).

I can stretch it now without any pain and walking and cycling don't get it flaring up on me. I did some light bw squats and burpees yesterday and while it niggled for a bit, by the evening it was ok again.

edit- that'll teach me to do 400's without getting more milage in my legs first.

ian i wouldn't risk injury, you could end up not doing anything for months... like fallingplate said selection courses are every month. They will be able to push you further than you can when training by yourself...

best of luck, but at the end of the day it's your call just hope you don't regret it!