Selection weekend-TSC (a)

Anyone have any recent experience of either a selection weekend and/or TSC (a)?

Just keen to know what's it like, fitness requirements ect ect.

I know it's all on the Army website and theres a few posts on here, but I can't find anything since the change in January this year.

I'm also long in the tooth to know that what it says on the website re 1.5 mile run time and what the training staff actually expect are two very different things.

Go to search bar and try typing AR Selection or Pirbright selection etc. There are loads of threads with great info.
I id my last one at 41 and most trundled around in 10-11 mins.

Like anywhere, they expect you to try your hardest. Times are guideds for different badges. Simply prep for it, put the training in and do your best. No-one expects more.

Go to search bar and try typing AR Selection or Pirbright selection etc. There are loads of threads with great info.
I id my last one at 41 and most trundled around in 10-11 mins.

Like anywhere, they expect you to try your hardest. Times are guideds for different badges. Simply prep for it, put the training in and do your best. No-one expects more.
I've tried that, the most recent post is March 2012, so was after something a bit more recent really.

I'm not worried about fitness, I'm getting sub 11 now, and I've only started training this week after a year off due to injury. I aim to be sub 09:30 by the time I start training. Im just curious and I've a bit of time to kill on the train ride to work.

Anyhow thanks for the reply.

sub 11 will see you finish with the bulk of the RLC traffic. 10. will see you with the inf. and overly keen RA-RE and sub 10.. well no-one likes a smarty pants. All generalizations of course.

Enjoy it, regardless of time

Hello mate,

There is a post on page two called ADSC pirbright from sept 14. It's very in depth and covers pretty much everything.

It's almost exactly the same as my (brief) experience in December.

Good luck

sub 11 will see you finish with the bulk of the RLC traffic. 10. will see you with the inf. and overly keen RA-RE and sub 10.. well no-one likes a smarty pants. All generalizations of course.

Enjoy it, regardless of time
Haha, well whilst I'm not ready for selection just yet, I reckon getting 10 minutes shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Cheers

Hello mate,

There is a post on page two called ADSC pirbright from sept 14. It's very in depth and covers pretty much everything.

It's almost exactly the same as my (brief) experience in December.

Good luck
I actually found that post about 5 minutes after starting this thread. Very informative. Cheers pal.

Anyone have any recent experience of either a selection weekend and/or TSC (a)?

Just keen to know what's it like, fitness requirements ect ect.

I know it's all on the Army website and theres a few posts on here, but I can't find anything since the change in January this year.

I'm also long in the tooth to know that what it says on the website re 1.5 mile run time and what the training staff actually expect are two very different things.
Just completed selection at Lichfield. Arrived night before - lots of admin to do, phones/valuables handed in, documentation taken to be checked etc. Got to be about 10.30pm.
Up at 5.15 in the morning, don't faff with a shower, the first day is just admin and the medical. Breakfast around 6, then straight into the BARB and TST/English/Maths if you needed to do them. After that, into the medical - eye test, hearing test, ECG (also an echocardiogram if they think you need it), urine sample, weight/height and blowing into a tube to test your lung capacity. After that, into see the doctor (all seemed really nice) - thorough medical.

After that, if you get a green card (which means you've passed your medical) and sit in reception. And wait, and wait, and wait, for everyone to finish. The sergeant was nice enough to let us go into the recreation room to relax a bit (which has a pool table etc in). Early evening when everyone had finished their medicals, we got taken to fill in some pre employment check forms, and after that dinner (which was mega nice) and then had the evening free to relax (you get your phone back).

Day 2. Up at 5.30am again, breakfast at 6am. Strength tests straight after (jerrycans and powerbag). Then the run. 800m warm up and then 2.4km run. It's 2 1/2 laps, with a short downhill section and a cheeky little hill. I went training loads for it beforehand, but still found it tough, especially the last lap. Still, completed it (didn't walk like some of the others!!)

After that, grenade task (great fun) and team tasks. Be vocal, they are a good laugh though I have bruises everywhere!!

Then shower and interview.
I was on a female only course, so run times weren't unlikely to be 9 mins!! They told us that if you get 14 mins and the limit is 14 mins, you might not pass however I got 13 mins (limit was 14 mins) and my interviewer said it was a "good time!".

Discipline is relatively alright, and some of the staff (especially ones in uniform) are a good bunch who will happily have a chat with you about some stuff.

Reservist so was attested at the selection centre. Now waiting to go to drill night, and pick up kit and be loaded onto phase 1/2 training :)

Congratulations. I'm currently waiting, impatiently, on a date for Selection! I just want to get it done now but I have done it before back in 2011, when I had to leave before Phase 1, so I know what to expect. Keep training hard!!

Hi iam just waiting for my medical forms from the Drs so I can get booked on selection iam looking to join B Squadron royal yeomanry in leicester been looking at what time I need to get on 1.5 mile run which is at 13:15 iam doing it in about 12:45 at the min so few more weeks to get it down really looking forward to hopefully getting in and learning how long does it normally take to get on selection and when u finish there presuming you pass do u swear allegiance while there ? Any info would be great

Attestations are done after selection at Pirbright. I was on my Alpha consolidated 4 weeks later though I opted to be attested at my unit. The PASO gives a welcome talk while filling out the forms and we all get a way cool book on unit history.

Congratulations

I haven't been given my selections date yet. My next step is to go to the AR unit for a interview and attend some drill nights. Has anyone else done this?

I've got my selection on May 12th. I had the interview at the centre, quite informal, mostly put a face to the name and answer any questions you may have. They will probably show you a short video but as I have been through it all before and he couldn't get the recorder to work, he didn't bother with me!
I haven't attended drill nights this time for the same reason, having done it before, but it is just to make sure you know what to expect at Selection and check on your fitness.
It should be all low key, nothing to worry about. Good luck.

I did my interview at the careers centre, and have been going to drill nights for ages. As PapaRomeo says, it's mostly about getting to know you and checking you know what to expect for selection.