Selection training?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JoeProsser94, Aug 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently awaiting selection and what not, does anyone have any ideas of how I could get my 1.5 mile time down, and could anyone tell me what the track you run on at selection is like?

Is it all flat, or some uphill?

Thank you.

2. I'd imagine that it depends entirely on where you do your selection

3. A tip I as given as to split the 1.5 into 3 .5mile sections. Run the first half mile best effort then rest for 3 minutes, run half mile best effort then rest for 3 minutes again, then the final half mile best effort. I did this 3 times a week,every week taking 30 seconds off my recovery time till I was running the 1.5 in one go. Got me down from 11 minutes to 9.25.

4. Or you try hill reps, as they help to build up stamina don't for get to work on your CV as this will also help. Plus you will probalby need to work on your sit ups and press ups as well.

stilts

5. (1) Pick a 1.5 mile route and time your run, try and keep getting better times.

(2) Sprint 100m then jog 100m for 30 mins.

(3) Steady run.

Do a mixture of these per week (1) x 1 (2) x 2 (3) x 3

Mix the steady runs in, and do some gym work.

6. forgot to add I was also doing at least another two long slow runs 7-10 miles to build stamina and don't be shy hitting the hills on the long runs. Hill are your friend lol.